Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's…

Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer (P.S.) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by James L. Swanson

Member:morryb
Title:Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer (P.S.)
Authors:James L. Swanson
Info:Harper Perennial (2007), Paperback, 496 pages
Tags:American History, Lincoln

Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson (2006)

Recently added byjsherma3, private library, WilsonKoP, ssimon2000, mmartycc, AliKes, betpchem, csweder, aujames95

Compared to the historical account I read earlier this year of a serial killer from the midwest, this book had everything the other didn't. It was engaging from the first page, combining facts of the case with GOOD WRITING.

I learned a great deal more about Lincoln's life, as well as Booth's life than I had before--the most interesting part of that being that I thought I knew about both, and I learned in reading this book I did not. It was very interesting. It's a quick read despite the 400 pages, but so thorough and utterly worth it.

It also drew my attention that Booth was killed on my birthday--(one or two years before I was born, that is). ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I was inspired to pick up this book by the musical "Assassins". I wanted to know more about Booth than what Sondheim gave me. This book was at times highly melodramatic, but on the whole I found it a much easier read than a straight history of events. The author uses source material to re-write the events into a narrative that's unfolding as you read. It's an unusual way to write a history book, and I'm not entirely sure that the author didn't cross the line into historical fiction at times, but from a readability standpoint it's a brilliant method. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to find out what happened to Lincoln's killer after Lincoln's assassination. ( )
  sbloom42 | May 21, 2014 |
A full and fascinating look at the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the hunt for John Wilkes Booth. There is so much about this event that is either left out or ignored in most history classes that cover it. Things like the brutal attempt on Seward's life by Powell, Mudd's much larger part in the whole conspiracy, the multiple mistakes and misdirections that Booth and Herold took, and the fact that the whole plan for assassination came together in just one day.

Swanson has made the study of the Lincoln assassination his life's work, and it shows in the writing of this book. He covers every aspect of interest in the case, even hunting down the testimonies of people involved who kept their secrets for years, some that were not revealed until well after their deaths.

Definitely worth reading if you are interested in popular moments in American history. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Mar 18, 2014 |
As promised in the reviews I'd seen, this was a fun, addictive read. If you enjoy popular-level history, it's worth it. ( )
  LudieGrace | Dec 4, 2013 |
But for the most part the narrative - which relies on numerous first-hand and contemporary accounts, as well as Swanson's own retracing of Booth's steps - has a convincing feel, full of detail and dialogue. Manhunt is an enjoyable, and often exciting, portrayal of what must have been twelve of the most turbulent days in American history

I have never had a feeling politically that did not spring from the Declaration of Independence...that which gave promise that in due time the weights should be lifted from the shoulders of all men, and that all should have an equal chance...Now, my friends, can this country be saved upon that basis?...If it can't be saved upon that principle...if this country cannot be saved without giving up on that principle...I would rather be assassinated on this spot than to surrender it.
--President-elect Abraham Lincoln during a speech on February 22, 1861, ten days before taking the oath of office as the sixteenth president of the United States.
This man's appearance, his pedigree, his coarse jokes and anecdotes, his vulgar similes, and his policy are a disgrace to the seat he holds...he is...the tool of the North, to crush out, or try to crush out slavery, by robbery, rapine, slaughter and bought armies...a false president yearning for a kingly succession...
--John Wilkes Booth to his sister at a private home shortly before President Lincoln's reelection in November 1864.
For my parents, Lennart and Dianne Swanson
It looked like a bad day for photographers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060518502, Paperback)

The Greatest Manhunt in American History

For 12 days after his brazen assassination of Abraham Lincoln, John Wilkes Booth was at large, and in Manhunt, historian James L. Swanson tells the vivid, fully documented tale of his escape and the wild, massive pursuit. Get a taste of the daily drama from this timeline of the desperate search.

April 14, 1865 Around noon, Booth learns that Lincoln is coming to Ford's Theatre that night. He has eight hours to prepare his plan.
10:15 pm: Booth shoots the president, leaps to the stage, and escapes on a waiting horse.
Secretary of War Edwin Stanton orders the manhunt to begin. April 15 About 4:00 am: Booth seeks treatment for a broken leg at Dr. Samuel Mudd's farm near Beantown, Maryland. Cavalry patrol heads south toward Mudd farm.
Confederate operative Thomas Jones hides Booth in a remote pine thicket for five days, frustrating the manhunters. April 19 Tens of thousands watch the procession to the U.S. Capitol, where President Lincoln lies in state. Wild rumors and stories of false sightings of Booth spread. April 20 Stanton offers a $100,000 reward for the assassins, and threatens death to any citizen who helps them.
After hiding Booth in Maryland, Jones puts him in a rowboat on the Potomac River, bound for Virginia. More than a thousand manhunters are still searching in Maryland. In the dark, Booth rows the wrong way and first ends up back in Maryland. April 20-24 Booth lands in the northern neck of Virginia, and Confederate agents and sympathizers guide him to Port Conway, Virginia. April 24 Booth befriends three Confederate soldiers who help him cross the Rappahannock River to Port Royal and then guide him further southwest to the Garrett farm.
Union troops in Washington receive a report of a Booth sighting. They board a U.S. Navy tug and steam south, right past Booth's hideout at the Garrett farm. April 25 The 16th New York Calvary, realizing their error, turns around and surrounds the Garrett farm after midnight that night. April 26 When Booth refuses to surrender, troops set the barn on fire, and Boston Corbett shoots the assassin. Booth dies a few hours later, at sunrise. April 26-27 Booth's body is brought back to Washington, where it is autopsied, photographed, and buried in a secret grave.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:30 -0400)

Recounts the escape of John Wilkes Booth, Abraham Lincoln's assassin, and follows the intensive search for him from the streets of Washington, D.C., through the swamps of Maryland, into the forests of Virginia.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible