The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ…

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ

by Philip Pullman

Series: The Myths (16)

Recently added byCaptainAllison, rainbowalphabet, private library, cupocofe, abbeyhar, pfennigparade
    The Last Testament by Sam Bourne (tesskrose)
    The Liars' Gospel by Naomi Alderman (WoodsieGirl)
    Jezebel by Eleanor De Jong (tesskrose)
    Delilah by Eleanor De Jong (tesskrose)
    My Name Was Judas by C. K. Stead (Voise15)
    Voise15: Humanising of the Gospel stories through the eyes of Judas
    Enligt Maria Magdalena by Marianne Fredriksson (PatMock)
    PatMock: Retelling of gospel stories from viewpoint of Mary Magdalene
    Joshua: A Parable for Today by Joseph F. Girzone (nigelmcbain)
    nigelmcbain: Both of these works re-use the material of the Gospel narratives to refocus on what the essential message of Yeshua bar Yussif's message was.

English (67)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (70)
I wish they allowed half stars, otherwise this would have gotten a two and a half. ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
A very creative premise marred by the same overly didactic vices that characterized the third book of His Dark Materials, only worse in this case. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
This is a brilliant book. It's certainly controversial, but I think the questions it raises about the foundation of Christianity AND the direction the church went after that. I'm grateful I read it on my Kindle so that I could highlight all of the passages that made me think. I hope many Christians will read this and be encouraged to engage others in genuine conversation about the nature of faith and the church. It's like a blueprint of the objections people have to the church, and should provide fodder for how to address those concerns in conversation and in the way the church does church. ( )
  reckshow | Jan 21, 2014 |
Pullman always appeals to me!
  karrinina | Nov 13, 2013 |
Det är skickligt, fast stundtals undrar jag varför jag ska läsa Pullman och inte originalet. Byta ut de övernaturliga passagerna mot rationalistiska kan jag göra själv. Men låt oss stanna vid det som är specifikt för Pullmans version.

"The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ" was commissioned by its publisher, Canongate, as part of a series in which the world's great myths "are retold in a contemporary and memorable way." This one comes up decidedly short of the mark.

A very bold and deliberately outrageous fable, then, rehearsing Pullman's familiar and passionate fury at corrupt religious systems of control – but also introducing something quite different, a voice of genuine spiritual authority. Because that is what Pullman's Jesus undoubtedly is.

I said earlier that Pullman was a Protestant atheist. Even so, he may well have been annoyed at the welcome given to his book by the clerical establishment in the person of the archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev. Rowan Williams, who has described the “Jesus” character as “a voice of genuine spiritual authority” and the book itself as “mostly Pullman at his very impressive best, limpid and economical.”

........

this latest attempt to secularize Messianism is a disappointment to those of us who can never forgive the emperor Constantine, not just for making Christianity a state dogma, but for making humanity hostage to the boring village quarrels and Bronze Age fables that were drawn from what remains the world’s most benighted region.

Which brings us to Pullman's new work, The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ, which is, to put it mildly, a very strange book. Superficially a novel, it is Pullman's attempt to graft his belief system onto the life of Jesus, to mutate Christianity into a kind of Pullmanism. Give Pullman high marks for moxie: How many writers would dare to try to rewrite—no, to repair—the most famous, most sacred story ever written?

Philip Pullmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pullman, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Svendsen, WernerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is the story of Jesus and his brother Christ, of how they were born, of how they lived and of how one of them died.
Jesus praying: "Lord, if I thought you were listening, I'd pray for this above all: that any church set up in your name should remain poor, and powerless, and modest. That it should wield no authority except that of love. That it should never cast anyone out. That it should own no property and make no laws. That it should not condemn but only forgive..." p.199.

A reworking of the Gospel narratives describing the birth of twins, one called Jesus and the other nicknamed Christ and how Christ ultimately betrays Jesus in an attempt to preserve his essential message.

Re-imagines the life of Jesus based on considerations of his dual nature, key Gospel stories, and the formulation of Church tenets.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Canongate Books

Four editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847678254, 1847678270, 1847680186, 0857860070

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921656190, 1921758090

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible