Devil's Waltz by Jonathan Kellerman

Devil's Waltz (1992)

by Jonathan Kellerman

Series: Alex Delaware series (7)

ereader ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Well, what to say about this one? I liked it better than 'bad love', but not as much as the first book I read by Kellerman. To me, the adventures of Alex Delaware are getting boring. There's a problem, he's called for help and, no matter what, he always solves it. I know that is the 'recipe' for most detectives / thrillers, but a step or two outside the ordinary path's lines wouldn't hurt, in my opinion. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Interesting read. ( )
  magentaflake | Aug 1, 2012 |
Was in the mood for a little Alex Delaware and this was next up on the list. I was not disappointed. I’m not sure why, but in this one Kellerman has struck a balance of sorts and it was an enjoyable read beginning to end. I wasn’t sure how the medical information would hold up several years later, but it never had that written twenty years ago patina to it. I also really liked the brief mentions about previous characters, be they patients, old loves, previous interactions, et al. He wasn’t too heavy-handed, but those really added to the likeability of Delaware and successfully kept this from feeling dated. ( )
  debavp | Jul 4, 2012 |
I usually like Kellerman's books but this one was a little rough for me to get through. I found the idea of writing a book around Munchhausen by proxy interesting but there was too much other stuff mixed in with it. I am not good with financial stuff so I got lost in parts of the book. I do not feel like it was necessary to include so much detail in the sub-story of the financial mystery. I think if Kellerman had left out some of the confusing financial detail, it would have been a much better book and easier to get through. This is not a Kellerman book that I would recommend to a friend. ( )
1 vote damejennylynn | Feb 9, 2011 |

Jonathan Kellermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snel, MariëllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ring out old shapes of foul disease;
Ring out the narrowing lust of gold.

—Alfred, Lord Tennyson
To my son, Jesse, a gentleman and a scholar.
Special thanks to Reuben Eagle, Allan Marder, Yuki Novick, Michael Samet, Dennis Payne, and Harry Weisman, M.D.
It was a place of fear and myth, home of miracles and the worst kind of failure.
"The Tujunga detective—a gal, actually, named Dunn—said Vicki was home when it happened, watching TV in the next room."

—Reference to Marge Dunn, a character in the Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus mysteries written by Faye Kellerman.

The doctors call it Munchausen by proxy, the  terrifying disease that causes parents to induce  illness in their own children. Now, in his most  frightening case, Dr. Alex Delaware may have to prove  that a child's own mother or father is making her  sick.

Twenty-one-month-old Cassie Jones  is bright, energetic, the picture of health. Yet  her parents rush her to the emergency room night  after night with medical symptoms no doctor can  explain. Cassie's parents seem sympathetic and  deeply concerned. Her favorite nurse is a model of  devotion. Yet when child psychologist Alex  Delaware is called in to investigate, instinct tells him  that one of them may be a monster.

Then  a physician at the hospital is brutally murdered.  A shadowy death is revealed. And Alex and his  friend LAPD detective Milo Sturgis have only hours  to uncover the link between these shocking events  and the fate of an innocent child.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:11 -0400)

Twenty-one-month-old Cassie Jones is bright and energetic. But over the past 18 months Cassie has been rushed to Western Pediatric Medical Center with alarming frequency. Each time her pediatrician fails to come up with a diagnosis and finally calls in Dr. Alex Delaware. Instinct tells him that someone is deliberately making Cassie ill, and the prime suspects are the parents. But Alex also realizes that something disturbing is going on in the hospital itself. And presiding over the demoralized doctors and the grim atmosphere is a financial wizard who is also Cassie's grandfather. Then a staff physician is murdered, and Alex rushes to identify the link between the shadowy machinations at Western Peds and the fate of a child before another innocent life is lost.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,036,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible