Cold Magic - Spirit Walker #1 by Kate…

Cold Magic - Spirit Walker #1 (edition 2010)

by Kate Elliott

Member:heyheyrenay
Title:Cold Magic - Spirit Walker #1
Authors:Kate Elliott
Info:Orbit (2010), Paperback
Tags:fantasy, espionage, family, friendships, romance, women authors, needs rating, marriage

Cold Magic by Kate Elliott

English (60)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
Great characters, great worldbuilding, great fun. Could have done without random falling-in-lust with the captor/enemy, even if it happens without her being fully aware of it - or possibly she's just in denial; either way it makes me want to get her into therapy to deal with the Stockholm syndrome. But that was a small part of a story mostly about Cat learning about who and what she is, and where the relationship with her cousin feels far more important. ( )
  zeborah | Apr 9, 2019 |
Ugh, I just couldn't get past the ridiculously pretentious narrative voice. It's been a while since I absolutely refused to finish a book... Pity, I was lookin' forward to it. ( )
  TM_White | Jan 6, 2019 |
This sucked me in SO FAST. I read it in about two days, despite having work. Yay, book! ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
Now that the book is complete I realize fully how much I loved it; it contains almost all of my Most Desired Fantasy Elements:

-Female friendship. Female devotion. A plot hinged on women caring about each other and fighting with fierce determination to protect one another
-Low level romance that influences the behavior of the main character in very minor ways
-A fully realized world with many different cultures and a well-established history
-Diverse characters!!!!!
-Magic systems that make sense and technological systems that are incredibly interesting

My only complaint really is the pacing. I felt perhaps the repetitiveness of certain scenes could have been edited. But beyond that this book gives me hope for the genre and really, what more can you ask? ( )
  ElleGato | Sep 24, 2018 |
According to me a Prologue or the 1st Chapter of a book is THE reflection - SO it must capture my attention from page 1 I will continue a few more chapters to give the Book a fair chance to change my mind!
SO Herewith my review!

Prologue & Chapter 1

The start to Elliott's new Spiritwalker trilogy held me enchanted. To the point where I overlooked to go to bed on time *wink*

Type of Characters and my choices according to pictures :

Relationship development

The character development is delicate. I like that, especially given the first-person narrative.
In this novel, Catherine Hassi Barahal is a Kena'ani girl of almost twenty years. Cat is an orphan whose father and mother -- Daniel Hassi Barahal and Tara Bell -- died in a ferry accident. She was the only survivor of the incident.

Beatrice Hassi Barahal is Cat's cousin. Bee is two months younger than Cat. They live in Adurnam with Bee's parents, Jonatan and Tilly Hassi Barahal. They both attend the college of Adurnam Academy.
Andevai Diarisso Haranwy is a Cold Mage. He was conceived on a village woman by Mansa, head of the Four Moons House. He has a mother and sister still living in the village.

Cat's journey is disturbing. Ill-prepared for the life she was shoved into, by a contract she had no say in and that she was obliged to see through, she's even less prepared when the worlds spins again.

She doesn't say "I suddenly realized that the blacksmith from before was now acting against us, and therefore must be a fire mage, perhaps even the fire-mage who committed arson against the House..."

Chapter Development

Definitely a little sluggish to start with, the reader is presented to Catherine Hassi Barahal, a young orphaned teenager living with her aunt, uncle and extended family in modest dwellings, who attends university alongside her beloved friend-and-cousin Beatrice and is generally content with her lot in life. Poring over her late father's travel journals and recollecting her mother's words to her about keeping her magical gift a secret are the only real connection she has to her late parents, but she's proud of her legacy and family name.

A few paragraphs / quotes → I loved

"The innkeeper had the magic item we needed in order to find the spy," the point is "I was so tired that when he said there were no rooms for us I totally broke down, and my traveling companion was being a jerk!"

She often says things like "an emotion I couldn't interpret crossed his face," or "he was staring intently, but I didn't understand why, I shifted uncomfortably in my seat." If you are just skimming along looking for the action, waiting for the Big Answers to the overall quest, you hear Cat's annoyance at being treated badly and think the guy doesn't like her.

Epilogue! →

Markus Feehily – Butterfly

Recommend to the following type of readers: →
Not sure decide for yourself! But no graphic scenes so I think it is save!

Why my rating?→
Don’t be foolish read the book!!!!

Will I read it again?→
OH YES

My feelings while reading this: →

To the Author

Thank you Kate Elliot for writing this book

Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |
Cold Magic is, best of all to this reader, a fantastic exploration of an alternate world, complete with a spirit world, Mages, an alternate geography, an alternate history, and lots and lots of cool ideas.
added by PhoenixFalls | editSF Signal, Paul Weimer (Sep 20, 2011)

With love, I dedicate this mash-up to my fabulous nieces and nephews, to my children, and to their friends and age cohort: the rising generation.
The history of the world begins in ice, and it will end in ice.
The history of the world begins in ice, and it will end in ice. Here in the north, we live under the shadow of the ice, its ice sheets and massive glaciers, and no human can walk there without being killed or driven out.

As they approach adulthood, Cat Barahal and her cousin Bee think they understand the society they live in and their place within it. At a select academy they study new airship technologies and the dawning Industrial Revolution, but magical forces still rule. And the cousins are about to discover the full ruthlessness of this rule. Drawn into a labyrinth of politics involving blood and old feuds, Cat is betrayed by her family and forced to marry a powerful Cold Mage. As she is carried away to live a new life, fresh dangers threaten her every move and secrets form a language she cannot read. At least, not yet. But both cousins carry their own hidden gifts and these will shape great changes to come. For in the depths of this treacherous world, the Wild Hunt stirs in darkness and dragons are waking from their sleep.… (more)

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316080853, 031608087X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,716,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible