Payment in Kind by J. A. Jance

Payment in Kind

by J. A. Jance

I don't believe I've read any books by J. A. Jance before but I have certainly heard of her. This book is the 9th in her J. P. Beaumont series and I quite enjoyed it. There are a few references to things that have taken place in the past which I would like to know more of so I may try to pick up some more of these books.

It was interesting that this book takes place during an unexpectedly cold snap in Seattle. Cold in Seattle is apparently +6 F. This morning in Winnipeg the temperature is -32 C (or -25.6 F) which is what I consider cold. J. P Beaumont, a homicide detective with the Seattle police, is summoned out into the cold to check out two dead bodies in the Seattle School District office. The bodies are of a male security guard and a female school district employee. It appears it might be a murder suicide at first but that is fairly quickly discounted. The woman's husband, Pete Kelsey, is the next logical suspect and there is certainly some evidence to point to him, like a gun in the dead woman's laundry drawer and the security guard's uniform in his garage. J. P.' s partner for this case is Paul Kramer, the homicide's squad golden boy but a devious player, and he believes Pete is the killer but J. P. is not so sure. The evidence as the case unfolds points to another person and the ending was quite a surprise to me.

Well-crafted and suspenseful. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good murder mystery. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 9, 2017 |
This is the second novel in a row in which I was surprised to encounter characters that are Mormons. This book also has lesbians and bigamists. The bigamist wasn't one of the Mormons.
A fine mystery and an ending that proves to be a very good thing for Beau.

I will put this on my home bookshelf - I want to reread it. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Beaumont's case with a up-and-coming ambitious partner focuses on a woman working at the local school board office who winds up dead -- semi-clothed in a closet with a clergyman-turned-security guard and the hints of an affair.
WHAT I LIKED:
The school board politics and the politics around the police station office are first-rate, and it is nice to see a positive side to the journalist character who constantly hounds J.P. A large cast of characters helps keep the story interesting.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
The sub-plot is a bit obvious and while the cast of characters is good, it leaves a bit of a feel of happenstance rather than expert detecting.
BOTTOM-LINE:
Solid but not quite awesome
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Mar 19, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
ereader ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
For Penny, and in memory of Paul
The first thing I noticed that morning was the quiet, the deathly quiet.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380758369, Mass Market Paperback)

Top ten New York Times bestselling author J.A. Jance brings us another exhilarating thriller featuring Seattle homicide detective J.P. Beaumont.

It looks like a classic crime of passion to Detective J.P. Beaumont: two corpses found lovingly entwined in a broom closet of the Seattle School District building. The prime suspect, Pete Kelsey, admits his slain spouse was no novice at adultery, yet he swears he had nothing to do with the brutal deaths of the errant school official and her clergyman-turned-security guard companion. Beau believes him, but there′s something the much sinned-upon widower′s not telling-and that spells serious trouble still to come. Because the secret that Pete′s protecting is even hotter than extra-marital sex.and it could prove more lethal than murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:41 -0400)

When the corpses of a lusty school official and her security-guard lover are discovered in a school broom closet, and the prime suspect, Pete Kelsey, the woman's husband, proclaims his innocence, Detective J.P. Beaumont goes into action.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,031,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible