THIS BODY DEATH (Inspector Lynley) by…

THIS BODY DEATH (Inspector Lynley) (edition 2010)

by Elizabeth George

Member:Stomplib
Title:THIS BODY DEATH (Inspector Lynley)
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 692 pages
Collections:Adults

This Body of Death by Elizabeth George

Recently added byRena37, gey57, crimson-tide, private library, anlashok666, laisyleeola, KelJustKelly
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (49)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All (57)
Kudos to Elizabeth George for keeping me thoroughly entertained for nearly 700 pages (24 hours of listening time).

The mystery revolves around a toddler's murder in the past and the present-day murder of a young woman. With George, the reader is treated to excellent writing and character development, as well as thought-provoking themes. Red herrings and plot twists abound and I was kept guessing throughout. Still, the clever the way the two cases intersected came as a surprise. If I have one criticism, its that the novel could have moved along at a brisker pace but I do have to say George did an excellent job at not only holding my interest, but also in weaving all the plot threads together.

Barbara Havers provides some comic relief, specifically when she attempts to dress more fashionably, and there's office politics and intrigue. I was reminded of how much I enjoy a well-written intricate mystery by George and plan to go back to read where I left off, at #7. I skipped ahead to this one for book club but anyone who is familiar with the series should have no problem jumping in, although this isn't one I would start with. Knowing some of the backstory on Lynley and Havers is essential. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
When I first started listening to this audio, I will admit that I thought Elizabeth George had lost her mind. There seemed to be two completely different storylines going on at once and it was very confusing. But, I should have had faith in her, because when she made the connection all made sense to me and I loved it! The story did not end the way I expected, but I liked how everything ended. It was good but not "happily ever after". That keeps me reading for more. ( )
  jguidry | Jun 10, 2016 |
The 16th Inspector Lynley sees a murder in London traced back to the New Forest and a secret past.

This book is split into 2 narratives the first is the usual narrative involving Lynley and Co in the present solving the crime, the second is a historical paper about a terrible crime committed in the past.

While I enjoyed the modern murder mystery, the historical notes referred so closely to a real life crime committed in England within the last 20 years that I had to question the morality of making the case so similar so soon.

I think in a few of her more recent novels (this one and What Came Before he Shot her) Elizabeth George has been exploring the treatment of young people from deprived areas and drawing the conclusion that society is failing them and eventually failing anyone they hurt.

This is an admirable thing to try and highlight however when I think back to the real life crime that this novel mirrors I think justice would have best been served by locking up the perpertrators and throwing away the key.

Overall a good story and would have enjoyed it much more if the crime had not been based on the one it was. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
I'm a fan. What more can I say? ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
I'm a fan. What more can I say? ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cnossen, FannekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Romans, 7:24
For Gaylynnie
Reports from the investigating officers who interviewed both Michael Spargo and his mother prior to charges being filed against him all suggest that the morning of the boy's tenth birthday began badly.

Terwijl inspecteur Thomas Lynley nog met buitengewoon verlof is nadat zijn vrouw is vermoord, wordt Isabelle Ardery als zijn tijdelijke vervanger binnengehaald bij de Londense politie. Wanneer het lichaam van een jonge vrouw wordt gevonden op een begraafplaats in de Londense wijk Stoke Newington, krijgt Isabelle de kans om te laten zien wat ze waard is in een belangrijk moordonderzoek. Maar om zo snel mogelijk resultaat te boeken, moet ze toch eerst Lynley overtuigen terug te keren. Lynleys team is zeer loyaal aan hem en Isabelle is geheel afhankelijk van hen, en met name Barbara Havers, bij het onderzoek.De zaak wordt er niet eenvoudiger door enkele recente pr-flaters van de Londense politie die het zelfvertrouwen ernstig hebben ondermijnd. De onrust bij de politie is groot en Isabelle staat onder constante druk van de media, die haar boven op de huid zitten. Snel, misschien wel te snel, wijst ze dan ook een wel erg voor de hand liggend verdachte aan voor de moord.Het onderzoek leidt Lynley en Havers intussen naar het natuurgebied New Forest in het zuiden van Engeland. Hier ligt de oplossing van een zaak die zijn oorsprong heeft in een daad van geweld die jaren geleden plaatsvond. Een zaak die een even tragische als schokkende afloop zal hebben…

On compassionate leave after the murder of his wife, Thomas Lynley is called back to Scotland Yard when the body of a woman is found stabbed and abandoned in an isolated London cemetery. While Lynley works on the case in London, his former colleagues Barbara Havers and Winston Nkata follow the murder trail south to the New Forest--and to an outcome that is both tragic and shocking.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,502,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible