Talking to girls about Duran Duran : one…

Talking to girls about Duran Duran : one young man's quest for true love… (edition 2010)

by Rob Sheffield

Title:Talking to girls about Duran Duran : one young man's quest for true love and a cooler haircut
Authors:Rob Sheffield (Author)
Info:New York : Dutton, c2010.
Collections:Phonies: Wall of Shame
Tags:memoir, already donated/sold/swapped

Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut by Rob Sheffield

Cardboard Gods: An All-American Tale Told Through Baseball Cards by Josh Wilker (zhejw)
    zhejw: Wilker's memoir is told through the baseball cards he collected in the late 1970s while Sheffield's is told through the pop songs he listened to in the 1980s. Both are well-written and interspersed with a good balance of humor and deep insights into life.
    American Nerd: The Story of My People by Benjamin Nugent (Othemts)
    Giving up the Ghost by Eric Nuzum (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books are memoirs about growing up in the 80's with many music references.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (heatherlove)
    heatherlove: Just a trip back to the 80s with Talking to Girls... after you've spent your time ensconced in some fun 80s Trivia from Ready Player one.
    Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby (Othemts)
    How the Beatles Destroyed Rock n Roll: An Alternative History of American Popular Music by Elijah Wald (Othemts)
    Don't You Forget About Me: A Novel by Jancee Dunn (chazzard)

In what is seemingly a common trend with all of the books I've read thus far this year, I'd describe this one as ""good, not great.""

I thought it as a good, interesting read...but it didn't have the heart that ""Love is a Mix Tape"" had and it seemed to be drastically more disjointed from the typical memoir offerings I've read.

My biggest issue is probably that my formative years came about 15 years after Sheffield's thus causing all of the songs that comprised his youth to be the ""oldies"" and ""one-hit wonders"" of my youth.

Reading his efforts to wax nostalgic over bands and songs that never meant more much to me made it hard to really get sucked into the book in the way I'd have hoped following up on his previous effort. ( )
  tkatt00 | Sep 11, 2015 |
WHAT a nostagiarific, nostalgilicious, nostalgic nostalgiafest. If you are my peer within 5 years, you must read this book and you will love it if you liked 80s music even a little bit. Sheffield is upbeat and treats his whole life with wonder, a wonderful human trait. 1/2 a star off because he treats his subjective opinions as common objective knowledge, and not a whiff of his loss of innocence, which would have perfected this book. Now if you read this based on my recommendation, and you don't like it, then you don't share what I share with the writer: I too spent the 80s (and 90s) surrounded by beautiful, available, interested women whose signals I simply did not (know how to) act upon.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
Unfortunately I must be too young to enjoy this book. Though I was born in 1982, I did not get many of the 80's references, so I felt I could not fully relate to Rob's experiences and just found most of the references distracting. This is no criticism of his writing--I just could not enjoy this as much as I thought I would. ( )
  LAKobow | Mar 16, 2015 |
A love letter to 80's music. Beautifully written and so entertaining. Rob Sheffield, a writer for Rolling Stone, recounts the his favorite (or most memorable) 80's songs and what they remind him of. Little snippets of song and life. This book is rad! ( )
  bookwormteri | May 24, 2013 |
I’m more than halfway through but I don’t think I’m going to finish this one. It isn’t awful, I don’t hate it, it’s just really…nothing.

This is what you read if Chuck Klosterman is too deep or difficult for you. I can enjoy Klosterman in small doses. This is Chuck with less to say, and not as funny. He can put a sentence together and is not a bad writer in that way, it was only after reading a couple chapters that I thought "what the hell is this guy going on about?"

Imagine you’re having a conversation;

"Remember that 80’s song ___?"
He sings a couple lines
"I love 80’s music! When that song came out I worked at ___"
He then spends half an hour telling you about his job when he was a teenager, or the arguments he had with his sister, or his car or something.

If you were at a party you’d probably try to get away from this guy after a few minutes. That’s this whole book in a nutshell. The problem is the stories just aren’t very interesting. It’s not like he had any story worthy experiences, or like some authors, can pull some insight out of common, mundane experiences. These are not even really essays into what the music means, or growing in America in the 80’s, or anything else that I can get out of it. It’s just some guy rambling about his teenage years and a lot of not terribly exciting music.

The other problem is the one lots of others have pointed out. He makes a lot of sweeping statements; girls like this, boys like that, everyone in ’84 was listening to ___, all teenage boys are like ___, etc. We’re close to the same age, yet I found I disagreed with almost everything he said, like we grew up on different planets. It was very distracting since he does this a lot.

I didn’t like this or Nick Hornby’s similar book. I’ve probably had all the Klosterman I need. I guess I need to quit reading these things. Why is it that so many music obsessed writers seem to have such dull musical taste? Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky that way.

1 vote bongo_x | Apr 6, 2013 |

The author of Love is a Mix Tape returns to share the soundtrack to his eighties adolescence. When he turned 13 in 1980, Sheffield had a lot to learn about women, love, music and himself, and here he offers a glimpse into his transformation from pasty, geeky "hermit boy" into a young man with his first girlfriend, his first apartment, and a sense of the world. It's all here: Inept flirtations. Dumb crushes. Deplorable fashion choices. Members Only jackets. Girls, every last one of whom seems to be madly in love with the bassist of Duran Duran. Sheffield's coming-of-age story has a playlist that any child of the eighties or anyone who just loves music will sing along with. These songs--and Sheffield's writing--will remind readers of that first kiss, that first car, and the moments that shaped their lives.--From publisher description.… (more)

172 wanted2 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,802,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible