Talking to girls about Duran Duran : one…

Talking to girls about Duran Duran : one young man's quest for true love… (edition 2010)

by Rob Sheffield (Author)

3192034,767 (3.69)16
Member:HarryMacDonald
Title:Talking to girls about Duran Duran : one young man's quest for true love and a cooler haircut
Authors:Rob Sheffield (Author)
Info:New York : Dutton, c2010.
Collections:Phonies: Wall of Shame
Rating:1/2
Tags:memoir, already donated/sold/swapped

Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut by Rob Sheffield

1980s (10) 2010 (3) 2011 (5) 2013 (2) 80s (6) autobiography (6) BD (1) biography (7) biography/memoir (2) Boston (4) coming of age (2) contemporary culture (1) ebook (6) essays (11) fiction (4) humor (7) library (3) memoir (34) music (37) new wave (4) non-fiction (33) own (2) pop culture (13) pop music (2) read (6) read in 2010 (5) rock (2) self-help (1) to-read (23) wishlist (4)
    American Nerd: The Story of My People by Benjamin Nugent (Othemts)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (heatherlove)
    heatherlove: Just a trip back to the 80s with Talking to Girls... after you've spent your time ensconced in some fun 80s Trivia from Ready Player one.
    Giving up the Ghost by Eric Nuzum (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books are memoirs about growing up in the 80's with many music references.
    Cardboard Gods: An All-American Tale Told Through Baseball Cards by Josh Wilker (zhejw)
    zhejw: Wilker's memoir is told through the baseball cards he collected in the late 1970s while Sheffield's is told through the pop songs he listened to in the 1980s. Both are well-written and interspersed with a good balance of humor and deep insights into life.
    Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby (Othemts)
    How the Beatles Destroyed Rock n Roll: An Alternative History of American Popular Music by Elijah Wald (Othemts)
    Don't You Forget About Me: A Novel by Jancee Dunn (chazzard)

A love letter to 80's music. Beautifully written and so entertaining. Rob Sheffield, a writer for Rolling Stone, recounts the his favorite (or most memorable) 80's songs and what they remind him of. Little snippets of song and life. This book is rad! ( )
  bookwormteri | May 24, 2013 |
I’m more than halfway through but I don’t think I’m going to finish this one. It isn’t awful, I don’t hate it, it’s just really…nothing.

This is what you read if Chuck Klosterman is too deep or difficult for you. I can enjoy Klosterman in small doses. This is Chuck with less to say, and not as funny. He can put a sentence together and is not a bad writer in that way, it was only after reading a couple chapters that I thought "what the hell is this guy going on about?"

Imagine you’re having a conversation;

"Remember that 80’s song ___?"
He sings a couple lines
"I love 80’s music! When that song came out I worked at ___"
He then spends half an hour telling you about his job when he was a teenager, or the arguments he had with his sister, or his car or something.

If you were at a party you’d probably try to get away from this guy after a few minutes. That’s this whole book in a nutshell. The problem is the stories just aren’t very interesting. It’s not like he had any story worthy experiences, or like some authors, can pull some insight out of common, mundane experiences. These are not even really essays into what the music means, or growing in America in the 80’s, or anything else that I can get out of it. It’s just some guy rambling about his teenage years and a lot of not terribly exciting music.

The other problem is the one lots of others have pointed out. He makes a lot of sweeping statements; girls like this, boys like that, everyone in ’84 was listening to ___, all teenage boys are like ___, etc. We’re close to the same age, yet I found I disagreed with almost everything he said, like we grew up on different planets. It was very distracting since he does this a lot.

I didn’t like this or Nick Hornby’s similar book. I’ve probably had all the Klosterman I need. I guess I need to quit reading these things. Why is it that so many music obsessed writers seem to have such dull musical taste? Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky that way.

bongo_x | Apr 6, 2013 |
I liked several of the essays very much. Most of them were just okay, though, and I think the book went on too long. I loved reading about Sheffield's totally awesome sisters. I think he should write a straight memoir about growing up with them shepherding him through life, it would be such fun. I remembered nearly all the songs, but with considerably less fondness than the author did, so that perhaps contributed to my overall sense of malaise regarding the majority of this book. Sheffield also assigns way too many gender stereotypes to suit me.

But if you grew up in the 80s, it's certainly worth leafing through. The intro is hilarious, though ridden with the aforementioned sterotyping. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
p. 40 It was a club you could join just by believing it existed.

p. 79 "You spent five long years trying to get with the plan, and the next five years trying to be with your friends again." -LCD Soundsystem

p. 92 One-hit wonders are a noble breed. It's a fantasy that any artists should have long, productive careers. William Wordsworth invented modern poetry in one ten-year bang, 1795 to 1805, but then he was cashed out, although he lived to write utter crap for another 45 years. Walt Whitman wrote all his great works between 1855 and 1865, and then sucked for the next 27 years. T.S. Eliot? Spent the twentieth century dining out on a handful of poems from his 1915-1925 hot spell. Rock stars did not invent burning out. They just do it louder.

p. 93 Nobody knows how this works. The gods of pop music are fickle bastards.

p. 151 [Morrissey's:] songs were a Magic 8-Ball of the damned. ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
This is one of those recurrent situations when LT's five-star system is wildly inconsistent with the realities of a book's greatness -- or in this case, utter worthlessness. Very simply put: this is a trivial book about trivial people. Over fourty years ago someone wrote that the only thing worse than being fifty years old and still singing "Can't get no satisfaction" is to be fourty years old and write about that other fifty-year-old's singing. Granted, the Stones (bless their aging hearts) aren't Duran Duran (thank goodness), and this author (broadly defined) has yet to pass the Big Five-O, but you get the idea. There is good writing about growing up in the Eighties, and about the rock music of that time, but this sure as Hell isn't it. Save your time and money. ( )
  HarryMacDonald | Oct 26, 2012 |

The author of Love is a Mix Tape returns to share the soundtrack to his eighties adolescence. When he turned 13 in 1980, Sheffield had a lot to learn about women, love, music and himself, and here he offers a glimpse into his transformation from pasty, geeky "hermit boy" into a young man with his first girlfriend, his first apartment, and a sense of the world. It's all here: Inept flirtations. Dumb crushes. Deplorable fashion choices. Members Only jackets. Girls, every last one of whom seems to be madly in love with the bassist of Duran Duran. Sheffield's coming-of-age story has a playlist that any child of the eighties or anyone who just loves music will sing along with. These songs--and Sheffield's writing--will remind readers of that first kiss, that first car, and the moments that shaped their lives.--From publisher description.… (more)

349 wanted2 pay3 pay

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,253,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible