Microserfs by Douglas Coupland

Microserfs (original 1995; edition 2004)

by Douglas Coupland

Member:LizzySiddal
Title:Microserfs
Authors:Douglas Coupland
Info:HarperPerennial (2004), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*
Tags:read, read 2006

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland (1995)

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (cransell)
    cransell: Two fictional looks at working at Microsoft.

English (50)  Russian (1)  German (1)  All languages (52)
Nice vignettes of a time long, long ago, when the internet was fresh and new and we all cared about what Bill Gates thought. ( )
  adzebill | Apr 16, 2015 |
This was a surprise. I really really loved this novel. A fascinating snapshot of the 1990's tech industry from the POV of an early Gen X software tester and programmer. Doesn't sound like it would be entertaining? It blew me away, it was so fun and hilarious, from the pseudo-deification of Bill Gates (referred to only as "Bill"---said with the gravity of saying "God"), to the Lego decorated office, to the pet hamsters named "Look" and "Feel," to the typical 90's Gen-X conversations--philosophizing over pop culture (cereals, 70's TV shows, childhood toys, etc).

There were more serious themes too, such as finding love, how older generations are lost on the new tides of the technology boom, finding purpose and meaning in life after the success-driven 1980's. So, even though it was a fun book, it wasn't shallow. ( )
  dulcinea14 | Sep 18, 2014 |
Pretty amazing to read this book AFTER The Circle. Similar, and yet... What a difference twenty years makes! Wow! ( )
1 vote ReneeGKC | Mar 1, 2014 |
I found Mer. Coupland, quite funny, and as a non-computer Geek,(my Geekdom is in other fields) I can't tell if there is Science fiction in this or not. But I enjoyed reading it and I know many others have as well. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 16, 2013 |
This is the second Coupland book I've read. My wife is a big fan and since I know she read this years ago, I finally kind of get it. Coupland is a smart guy - I hope he was smart enough to do what his narrator suggested in this novel - invest in Apple back in the '90s when the stocks were low. If he actually did, Coupland can just write for enjoyment I'm sure....

Anyway, the characters (and there were a lot of them) were generally well-developed, there was a lot of pop culture references, but I got them all. Not sure if someone younger would - but that's the hazard of pop culture references right? The book was funny, thought-provoking, touching. I get why my wife likes Coupland, I kind of do now too. ( )
  Sean191 | Aug 1, 2013 |
This morning, just after 11:00, Michael locked himself in his office and won't come out.
I stared at an entire screen full of these words and they dissolved and lost meaning, the way words do when you repeat them over and over — the way anything loses meaning when context is removed — the way we can quickly enter the world of the immaterial using the simplest of devices, like multiplication.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060987049, Paperback)

Microserfs is not about Microsoft--it's about programmers who are searching for lives. A hilarious but frighteningly real look at geek life in the '90's, Coupland's book manifests a peculiar sense of how technology affects the human race and how it will continue to affect all of us. Microserfs is the hilarious journal of Dan, an ex-Microsoft programmer who, with his coder comrades, is on a quest to find purpose in life. This isn't just fodder for techies. The thoughts and fears of the not-so-stereotypical characters are easy for any of us to relate to, and their witty conversations and quirky view of the world make this a surprisingly thought-provoking book.

" ... just think about the way high-tech cultures purposefully protract out the adolescence of their employees well into their late 20s, if not their early 30s," muses one programmer. "I mean, all those Nerf toys and free beverages! And the way tech firms won't even call work 'the office,' but instead, 'the campus.' It's sick and evil."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:23 -0400)

Young people working for Microsoft decide to make a bid for freedom by founding their own software company. The novel--narrated as an online journal by danielu@microsoft.com--describes the ups and downs of raising money for a new business. By the author of Generation X.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,080,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible