How We Got the Bible by Neil Lightfoot

How We Got the Bible (edition 1986)

by Neil Lightfoot (Author)

Member:alpacaherder
Title:How We Got the Bible
Authors:Neil Lightfoot (Author)
Info:ACU Press (1986), Edition: Edition Unstated, 98 pages

How We Got the Bible by Neil R. Lightfoot

Excellent reference book for better insight into how the Bible came to us. Could serve as good class guide. ( )
  parapreacher | Oct 14, 2015 |
A history of the writing of the Bible; unfortunately, the author manages to ignore a large chunk of the scholarship on the topic. This book is written more for propping up belief that the Bible is the received word of God than it is for taking an honest look at the actual process of writing the Bible. Mostly interesting for the discussion of the various scrolls and papyri that are available; however, the author plays some word tricks to prop up belief that these are older than they really are, often mentioning a much earlier date in the first paragraph of a section, setting it in the reader's mind that the scrolls, etc, go back to this earlier date. Only the most discerning reader is likely to catch the bait-and-switch. It does get points for being easy to read and well written; not a lot of jargon to clutter up the process for a lay person. ( )
  Devil_llama | Jul 16, 2014 |
Neil Lightfoot's book is more theology then reality. At the end of chapter 8 he wrote: Because textual criticism is a (sound science), our text is secure and the textual foundation of our FAITH remains unshakeable. What sound science? Science can prove that people who have died do not come back to life or people who try to walk on water don't get very far. ( )
  DanSavin | Dec 9, 2011 |
Simply terrible. The book is so patronizing that it sometimes appears it was written for children. Whatever little (and often twisted) information it contains can be found in much better books by much better authors. I was very disappointed with this book, which had so much potential. ( )
  davidpwithun | Sep 16, 2011 |
Lightfoot covers the history of the written word from the first century to our translations today. Chapters discuss and explain the different Greek manuscripts, ancient versions, textual variants, the development of the canon, English translations and more. He presents the material in a way easily understandable. It is good for use in a Bible class.

Most Christians don't know the history of the Book and that has led to lots of confusion about translations and versions. If we are to be people of the book, we need to know everything we can about it. Knowing this information will help us have more reasons to trust our Bibles. Also, we will have more evidence for those who think the Bible has been altered and tampered with throughout the centuries. This information would be very helpful for teaching helping those who are "KJV-only." ( )
  BriaNicklaus | Aug 23, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080101252X, Hardcover)

How and when did the books of the Bible originate? In what sense are these books different from other books? How have these books been preserved and transmitted to us? Why do we have so many different translations of the Bible?
How We Got the Bible provides factual, accessible answers to questions like these. A classic guide for Bible students, it has sold more than 300,000 copies during its forty years in print. Now, in this new edition, each chapter has been revised and chapters have been added, including two on the Septuagint and the Latin Vulgate. This thorough revision will tempt fans of the previous edition and pave the way for a new generation of readers as well.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:51 -0400)

"A classic for more than forty years, How We Got the Bible provides well-researched, accessible answers to many questions like these. Learn about the first materials used to write down the words of Scripture. Uncover the facts of some of history's most fascinating archaeological discoveries. Travel through history, from Jerome to Tyndale and beyond, as Neil R. Lightfoot discusses the origin, transmission, and translation of the Bible."--Publisher's website.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,781,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible