Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy:…

Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy: Curiouser and Curiouser (2010)

by Richard Brian Davis (Editor)

Other authors: Robert Arp (Contributor), David S. Brown (Contributor), George A. Dunn (Contributor), Ron Hirschbein (Contributor), Dennis Knepp (Contributor)11 more, Megan S. Lloyd (Contributor), Rick Mayock (Contributor), Brian McDonald (Contributor), Elizabeth Olson (Contributor), Scott F. Parker (Contributor), Brendan Shea (Contributor), Tyler Shores (Contributor), Charles Taliaferro (Contributor), Mark W. Westmoreland (Contributor), Mark D. White (Contributor), Daniel Whiting (Contributor)

Series: Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series

1911761,769 (3.62)5

This book came out right around the time the newest 'Alice in Wonderland' movie came out, I doubt a coincidence but it is still a welcome book. This book is a collection of stories, or essays if you will because of the non-fiction pieces, the delve into the minute details of the well loved story, 'Alice in Wonderland'.

The essays are each vastly different all taking on elements of the original story and giving different insights, historical facts, and other various tidbits. After reading this book I want to re-read the original story just so I can get a truly see with my own eyes what each of these writers were saying in their pieces. If you like 'Alice in Wonderland', please pick up this book, you won't regret it!

P.S. I also think the cover is very well done, and super cute. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
William Irwin's Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy: Curiouser and Curiouser (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series) was not what I was expecting or hoping it would be, so I admit from the outset that my less-than-favorable review might be attributed to the strong preference of one's hopes over openness to another's offering. The best thing I can say about this book is that it probably belongs on a list of supplemental reading material for the philosophy college major.
  CarlisleMLH | Jul 12, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I agree with the other reviewer who said this collection was "uneven" and so I haven't assigned it a "star rating", it just seems like that wouldn't be fair. I had hoped that this would be a more serious examination of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" from a philosophical perspective, but once I gave up on that notion it was an enjoyable enough read though disappointing and dry in spots.
  themockturtle | Dec 16, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sigh. I had such high hopes for this one... I tried and tried and tried (and tried) to get through it, and while there were some gems inside, the majority of essays (the ones I made it through, anyway) seemed like very thin attempts to connect some kind of philosophical question with Alice in Wonderland. One essay in particular tried far, far too hard to be humorous (and it was at first, but by the end of the essay I wanted to throw the book across the room, it was that unfunny), while others were dry and so tenuously connected to Alice's story that you could have replaced 'Alice in Wonderland' with another classic story and had the same essay. In that case, what's the point? I'd hoped for a stronger discussion of elements within the book instead of philosophical discussions that drew examples from the book, and as a result found most of the content tiresome and irrelevant. Perhaps some of the final essays of the book are better than the ones I read? I can only hope so. Unless you're a die-hard philosophy major AND an Alice in Wonderland fan, I can't say I recommend this one. ( )
1 vote dk_phoenix | Nov 23, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It takes a rare collection of authors to find a correlation amongst the Matrix, Spice Girls, nuclear bombs, Lockian philosophy, Jell-O, and Alice’s adventures in Wonderland. However, this group of authors blends these elements together with convincing ease. The essays in this book step the reader through different aspects of Carroll’s famous work, bringing out evident timeless facets such as logic and reality while at the same time relating the work to feminism and other modern criticisms.
At times the essays, like many criticisms are wont to do, take gross leaps and make uncalled for assumptions to prove their points. Too, the reader should not expect academic or peer-review quality. These, quite simply, are written to the average reader, for those people who have read the book or seen the movie and wish to expand the way they think about the story. However, even the more advanced reader can find things in the essays about which to think. Overall, this is a lovely addition to any Carroll lover’s bookcase! ( )
  MissWoodhouse1816 | Sep 2, 2010 |

Taliaferro, CharlesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Westmoreland, Mark W.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, Mark D.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whiting, DanielContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"You take the blue pill," Morpheus says to Neo in the Matrix, "and the story ends...You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

The perfect companion to Lewis Carroll's classic book and director Tim Burton's March 2010 remake of Alice in Wonderland

Alice?s Adventures in Wonderland has fascinated children and adults alike for generations. Why does Lewis Carroll introduce us to such oddities as blue caterpillars who smoke hookahs, cats whose grins remain after their heads have faded away, and a White Queen who lives backwards and remembers forwards? Is it all just nonsense? Was Carroll under the influence? This book probes the deeper underlying meaning in the Alice books, and reveals a world rich with philosophical life lessons. Tapping into some of the greatest philosophical minds that ever lived?Aristotle, Hume, Hobbes, and Nietzsche?Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy explores life?s ultimate questions through the eyes of perhaps the most endearing heroine in all of literature. Looks at compelling issues such as perception and reality as well as how logic fares in a world of lunacy, the Mad Hatter, clocks, and temporal passageOffers new insights into favorite Alice in Wonderland characters and scenes, including the Mad Hatter and his tea party, the violent Queen of Hearts, and the grinning Cheshire Cat

Accessible and entertaining, Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy will enrich your experience of Alice's timeless adventures with new meaning and fun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:08 -0400)

"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has fascinated children and adults alike for generations. Why does Lewis Carroll introduce us to such oddities as blue caterpillars who smoke hookahs, cats whose grins remain after their heads have faded away, and a White Queen who lives backwards and remembers forwards? Is it all just nonsense? Was Carroll under the influence? This book probes the deeper underlying meaning in the Alice books, and reveals a world rich with philosophical life lessons. Tapping into some of the greatest philosophical minds that ever lived Aristotle, Hume, Hobbes, and Nietzsche - Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy explores life's ultimate questions through the eyes of perhaps the most endearing heroine in all of literature."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Richard Brian Davis's book Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,545,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible