Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet…

Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet

by Bill McKibben, Bill McKibben

Eaarth is at once hopeful and devastating. Bill McKibben doesn't pull any punches about the effects of global warming on our planet. The consequences of our pursuit for fossil fuel (and its burning) have made a lasting impact which is already effecting day-to-day living. The 'natural' disasters that we've been plagued with in ever-increasing frequency are a direct result of the imbalance which is a direct result of global warming. I say 'natural' because these freak weather events would most likely not have occurred if we hadn't pumped so much poison into the air and bumped up the global temperature (and it's only been pushed up one degree at this point). However, McKibben doesn't just harp on the horrors we've inflicted on the planet and its many inhabitants. He has solid ideas for ways we can adapt to our new environment on this completely new planet we created. His advice is to rely on communities and strive for living greener lives. (I've oversimplified of course because to give away more would defeat the purpose of you reading his excellent book.) If you're interested in environmental sciences and/or you're interested in the fate of our planet and our very way of life then I recommend you read this book ASAP. ( )
  AliceaP | Jul 6, 2014 |
I really enjoy reading Bill McKibben's books. Simply put, he is an excellent writer. I won't attempt to summarize the details of Eaarth here. Other reviewers have already written good reviews.

The premise of the book is that humans have already changed the earth and have already passed the point of no-return. We will all have to make the necessary adjustments to this new world, voluntary or not. To paraphrase other writers, Nature does not care about our wishes.

If you haven't read any other books about climate change this would be a good starting point. ( )
  RChurch | Mar 3, 2014 |
It's an important book, but painful to read. As the immortal Philip Henslowe says in [i]Shakespeare in Love[/i], "Well, that'll have them rolling in the aisles."
  ljhliesl | May 21, 2013 |
The title is not a typo. McKibben entitled this book Eaarth because he contends that we no longer live on the same planet that we once did. He backs this contention up with lots and lots of evidence. We are already above the 350 parts per million of carbon dioxide that scientists say is the safe limit for humanity. As a result, weather patterns are changing. And if we don't make significant changes, our planet will change even more drastically. This is not a problem for our grandchildren. This is a problem that is affecting our lives now. So, what to do? McKibben recommends local action. He provides specific examples that he has encouraged through his website 350.org. His recommendations focus around changing from a growth mindset to a maintenance mindset and addressing our food and energy needs in our communities.

I realize that this is a political issue for many and reactions to this book will likely vary based on your viewpoint. My views happen to align fairly closely with McKibben (at least in theory - I'm not there yet in practice), so I enjoyed this book. I thrive on statistics interspersed with examples, so the style of the book worked well for me too. There were some of McKibben's recommendations that I didn't agree with completely, but other ideas really motivated me. As soon as I closed the cover, I looked up the opening dates for my local farmer's market and started researching container gardening. ( )
1 vote porch_reader | Apr 10, 2013 |
The incredibly depressing first part of this book is redeemed by the hopeful ending. A lot of the hope boils down to "know your neighbors, band together, make a micro-community" and a lot of the doom and gloom boils down to "we've really, really screwed up the world". I don't think I learned a whole lot of brand new stuff here, but I've been specializing in this sort of book for the last several months. McKibben is a good writer and an engaging teller of tales. I did learn that Wal*Mart is the largest owner of vacant properties in the US. That was interesting.

It's a book well worth reading, especially if you haven't read a million other similar books. It's more pop sci than, say, [b:What We Leave Behind|5715231|What We Leave Behind|Derrick Jensen|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255633170s/5715231.jpg|5886847] or[b:The End of the Wild|867921|The End of the Wild (Boston Review Books)|Stephen M. Meyer|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1179038774s/867921.jpg|853313] and as such might be a better book to give to your Aunt Sadie or your mom. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
"...in the strongest sections, McKibben brings his own vision and experiences to bear, whether writing about the comfort of an abandoned Adirondack mill town or the joy of watching people across the globe unite around a simple message."
added by SqueakyChu | editSan Francisco Chronicle, Janet Wilson (Apr 16, 2010)

Bill McKibbenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKibben, Billmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Phil Aroneau, Will Bates, Kelly Blynn, May Boeve, Jamie Henn, Jeremy Osborn, Jon Warnow, and the thousands and thousands of people who work with us at 350.org
I'm writing these words on a gorgeous spring afternoon, perched on a bank of a brook high along the spine of the Green Mountains, a mile or so from my home in the Vermont mountain town of Ripton.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805090568, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2010: Since he first heralded our era of environmental collapse in 1989's The End of Nature, Bill McKibben has raised a series of eloquent alarms. In Eaarth, he leads readers to the devastatingly comprehensive conclusion that we no longer inhabit the world in which we've flourished for most of human history: we've passed the tipping point for dramatic climate change, and even if we could stop emissions yesterday, our world will keep warming, triggering more extreme storms, droughts, and other erratic catastrophes, for centuries to come. This is not just our grandchildren's problem, or our children's--we're living through the effects of climate change now, and it's time for us to get creative about our survival. McKibben pulls no punches, and swaths of this book can feel bleak, but his dry wit and pragmatic optimism refuse to yield to despair. Focusing our attention on inspiring communities of "functional independence" arising around the world, he offers galvanizing possibilities for keeping our humanity intact as the world we've known breaks down. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:55 -0400)

McKibben's earliest warnings about global warming went largely unheeded. In this book, he argues that we can meet the challenges of a new "Eaarth"--still recognizable but suddenly and violently out of balance--by building the kind of societies and economies that can hunker down, concentrate on essentials, and create the type of community that will allow us to weather trouble on an unprecedented scale.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Eaarth by Bill McKibben was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible