Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet…

Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet

by Bill McKibben, Bill McKibben

Don't know what the significance of 350 ppm is? READ THIS BOOK! It's important! ( )
  Illise_Montoya | Sep 28, 2014 |
I'm very impressed with Bill McKibben, 350.org, and the "Do the Math" documentary film. This book makes a compelling case that we've already passed the point where we can avoid the brunt of climate change impacts, that we've created a new planet on which life will soon become much more challenging. No more limitless growth, no more readily available fuel resources to power our economies. "Too big to fail" takes on new meaning in the context of our global economy in general, the industrial fuel and food systems in particular. He points out that local, small, and resilient cultural paradigms offer us the best chance to "gracefully manage our decline" as the inevitable effects of global warming exert their influence on human societies. To say that the book was sobering, and a bit discouraging, would be an understatement. Bill makes clear that we have our work cut out for us, and we can't delay taking action any longer. Very well done! ( )
  btburt | Aug 31, 2014 |
Eaarth is at once hopeful and devastating. Bill McKibben doesn't pull any punches about the effects of global warming on our planet. The consequences of our pursuit for fossil fuel (and its burning) have made a lasting impact which is already effecting day-to-day living. The 'natural' disasters that we've been plagued with in ever-increasing frequency are a direct result of the imbalance which is a direct result of global warming. I say 'natural' because these freak weather events would most likely not have occurred if we hadn't pumped so much poison into the air and bumped up the global temperature (and it's only been pushed up one degree at this point). However, McKibben doesn't just harp on the horrors we've inflicted on the planet and its many inhabitants. He has solid ideas for ways we can adapt to our new environment on this completely new planet we created. His advice is to rely on communities and strive for living greener lives. (I've oversimplified of course because to give away more would defeat the purpose of you reading his excellent book.) If you're interested in environmental sciences and/or you're interested in the fate of our planet and our very way of life then I recommend you read this book ASAP. ( )
  AliceaP | Jul 6, 2014 |
I really enjoy reading Bill McKibben's books. Simply put, he is an excellent writer. I won't attempt to summarize the details of Eaarth here. Other reviewers have already written good reviews.

The premise of the book is that humans have already changed the earth and have already passed the point of no-return. We will all have to make the necessary adjustments to this new world, voluntary or not. To paraphrase other writers, Nature does not care about our wishes.

If you haven't read any other books about climate change this would be a good starting point. ( )
  RChurch | Mar 3, 2014 |
It's an important book, but painful to read. As the immortal Philip Henslowe says in [i]Shakespeare in Love[/i], "Well, that'll have them rolling in the aisles."
  ljhliesl | May 21, 2013 |
"...in the strongest sections, McKibben brings his own vision and experiences to bear, whether writing about the comfort of an abandoned Adirondack mill town or the joy of watching people across the globe unite around a simple message."
added by SqueakyChu | editSan Francisco Chronicle, Janet Wilson (Apr 16, 2010)

Bill McKibbenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKibben, Billmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Phil Aroneau, Will Bates, Kelly Blynn, May Boeve, Jamie Henn, Jeremy Osborn, Jon Warnow, and the thousands and thousands of people who work with us at 350.org
I'm writing these words on a gorgeous spring afternoon, perched on a bank of a brook high along the spine of the Green Mountains, a mile or so from my home in the Vermont mountain town of Ripton.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805090568, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2010: Since he first heralded our era of environmental collapse in 1989's The End of Nature, Bill McKibben has raised a series of eloquent alarms. In Eaarth, he leads readers to the devastatingly comprehensive conclusion that we no longer inhabit the world in which we've flourished for most of human history: we've passed the tipping point for dramatic climate change, and even if we could stop emissions yesterday, our world will keep warming, triggering more extreme storms, droughts, and other erratic catastrophes, for centuries to come. This is not just our grandchildren's problem, or our children's--we're living through the effects of climate change now, and it's time for us to get creative about our survival. McKibben pulls no punches, and swaths of this book can feel bleak, but his dry wit and pragmatic optimism refuse to yield to despair. Focusing our attention on inspiring communities of "functional independence" arising around the world, he offers galvanizing possibilities for keeping our humanity intact as the world we've known breaks down. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:55 -0400)

McKibben's earliest warnings about global warming went largely unheeded. In this book, he argues that we can meet the challenges of a new "Eaarth"--still recognizable but suddenly and violently out of balance--by building the kind of societies and economies that can hunker down, concentrate on essentials, and create the type of community that will allow us to weather trouble on an unprecedented scale.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Eaarth by Bill McKibben was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,336,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible