Farlander by Col Buchanan

Farlander (2010)

by Col Buchanan

Series: Heart of the World (1)

2091155,966 (3.3)13

English (8)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All (11)
Engaging Characters and a good story that kept me interested. Its 'sword and sworcery' meets 'steampunk' feel turns some typical fantasy tropes on their heads while still fully embracing others.

While not quite fair to say "I can't wait for the next book," I will definitely pick it up and look foward to seeing the rest of the tale play out. ( )
  Grimshado | Apr 19, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Farlander Series: Heart of the World Author: Col Buchanan Rating: of 5 Battle Axes Genre: Fantasy Pages: 402 Format: Kindle Synopsis: Ash, a Farlander and an assassin, is forced to take on an apprentice. Soon after the apprentice's training is finished, an assignment comes up that will take them into the heart of the Empire to kill the prince. The Empire knows they are coming. My Thoughts: Much more than just an assassin story. A full blown, Empire growing, religious strains, etc, etc. It also does not have a happy ending. And yet it drew me in, kept my attention and interest and even when things happened that I wasn't expecting, or liked, it was ok. I'll definitely be checking out the second book in this new series soon. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Not bad but it just somehow didn't satisfy. A world in strife with names that sound like this one and then names that don't and I just had moments where I wanted him to call a smeerp a rabbit or a rabbit a smeerp but be consistent and just do it. This is a bit of a pet peeve and tends to break my suspension of disbelief.

The world is being overrun by the Holy Empire of Mann, which appears to be a religion of excesses and believe in control. It's a story of a farlander called Ash and his apprentice called Nico and their quest to avenge someone who was killed by the Empire and how their lives are changed by this quest.

The Empire comes across as just too evil to work over many years, they just stopped short of moustache twirling.

It's not a bad read but it just plodded along in several people's shoes, it reminded me of Gemmell, Kurtz and Martin and it just made me want to revisit the first two. I have no real urge to read the sequel. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 24, 2015 |
Mantiene la tensión, todo el libro estas esperando que pase algo fantástico, pero cuando llega, no es para nada lo esperado ( )
  Zeroth | May 19, 2014 |
I was hoping this would be an enjoyable fantasy story, but I ended up abandoning it after a couple of chapters. Apparently Buchanan wanted grimdark for his fantasy, which is to say it's full of grim depressingness I had no interest in reading. Okay, fine, an evil army that crushes everyone, I'm au fait with that sort of thing. But somehow, I couldn't get any pleasure out of the story itself. I didn't feel he needed to go on about the precise way they'd murdered the population of a town, or dwell on one of the oppressors as he contemplated raping a slave. I mean, the first couple of chapters were full of this stuff, while there was no humour at all, the characters weren't especially interesting (aging assassin, adoptee-to-be, feisty love interest, dead pet existing only to show character of owner), the conversation wasn't particularly scintillating. I just felt the balance of the story wouldn't be remotely in my favour. Shame. ( )
  Shimmin | Mar 31, 2013 |

Col Buchananprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De zoon ademt,
de vader leeft

Ono, de Grote Dwaas.
The son breaths, the father lives.
 Ono, The Great Fool
For my wife, Joanna
Ash was halfdood van de kou toen ze hem de grote hal van de ijsburcht binnensleurden en aan de voeten van de koning smeten, waar hij met een grom van verbazing op de vachten belandde.
Ash was half dead from exposure when they dragged him into the hall of the ice fortress and threw him at the feet of their king, where he landed on the furs with a grunt of surprise, his body shaking and wanting only to curl itself around the feeble heat of its heart, his panting breaths studding the air with mist.

The Heart of the World is a land in strife. For fifty years the Holy Empire of Mann, an empire and religion born from a nihilistic urban cult, has been conquering nation after nation. Their leader, Holy Matriarch Sasheen, ruthlessly maintains control through her Diplomats, priests trained as subtle predators.

Ash is a member of an elite group of assassins, the Roshun, who offer protection through the threat of vendetta. Forced by his ailing health to take on an apprentice, he chooses Nico, a young man living in the besieged city of Bar-Khos. At the time, Nico is hungry, desperate, and alone in a city that finds itself teetering on the brink.

When the Holy Matriarch’s son deliberately murders a woman under the protection of the Roshun; he forces the sect to seek his life in retribution. As Ash and his young apprentice set out to fulfill the Roshun orders, their journey takes them into the heart of the conflict between the Empire and the Free Ports…into bloodshed and death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:01 -0400)

Chosen to be the apprentice of an ailing protective assassin in a world dominated by a nihilistic urban cult, Nico accompanies his master on a retribution mission to kill the murderous son of the cult's ruthless matriarch.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible