Monster by Walter Dean Myers

Monster (original 1999; edition 2001)

by Walter Dean Myers

2,711None2,178 (3.69)1 / 37
Member:Sarah-Kay
Title:Monster
Authors:Walter Dean Myers
Info:Amistad (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 281 pages
Tags:movie, hate, monster, emotions

Monster by Walter Dean Myers (1999)

African American (108) African Americans (30) Coretta Scott King Award (27) court (30) crime (112) fiction (168) grade 8 (47) jail (80) justice (22) Kastory (18) murder (148) mystery (28) Printz (24) Printz Award (42) prison (94) race (21) racism (28) read (29) realistic fiction (133) robbery (45) screenplay (43) teen (39) trial (64) trials (29) urban (26) violence (30) YA (130) young adult (165) young adult fiction (44) young adult literature (25)

Author: Walter Dean Myers
Title: Monster
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
No Illustrator
1999
281 pages
Literary Genre:
This book is about a guy named Steve Harmon who is on trial and for convicted of robbery, I think? Throughout the story he ends up not getting tried and gets set free.
I would not recommend this book. I have absolutely no fun reading it and at times thought it was hard to read. But others might be different and actually enjoy it and like it.
  MaeghanS | Mar 31, 2014 |
Author: Walter Dean Myers
Title: Monster
Illustrator: Walter Dean Myers
Publisher: Amistad
Date: 2004
Pages: 281
Type: Realistic Fiction
Summary: This book is about a young man named Steve Harmon who is on trial for acting in a murder. He writes down everything that happens to him during this trial and plans to make it into a movie once it is all over. He writes down everything that happens to him. He ends up being innocent and is set free. But even though he is free he wonders if people still see him as a monster.

I had a hard time understanding this book at first because it is made like a movie. But after I took the time to read through it carefully I actually enjoyed it. It is a great book, which lets the reader decide themselves if he is innocent or guilty.
  emfro20 | Mar 25, 2014 |
Title Monster
Author Walter Dean Myers
Illustrator Walter Dean Myers
Publisher Harper Collins
Date 2004
Pg Numbers 304

Realistic Fiction
Summary of main plot: This book is about Steve who is in jail because he took part in the killing of Mr. Nesbitt in the convenient store with two other boys named Bolden and King. This book Steve writes like a movie and he writes the book of what all he sees while in jail.
The content and theme of this book is a lot to do with the justice system and makes you think what is right and wrong in the justice system also. A tag and subject heading in this book that makes me think this is when Steve finally admits that he did go into the convenient store but before he said that he told the jury he didn't go into the store so he basically lied under oath. I think a lot of people thought he was guilty and that he didn't actually kill Nesbitt that the other two guys did until he wrote down that he was in the store.
My Response to the book: I liked the book I mean it was okay I am not really that interested in the whole justice system stuff but it was an okay read I thought. one thing I didn't like was the layout of the book the way it was laid out as a movie confused me while I was reading it but other then that it was alright. ( )
  Mihalevich | Mar 17, 2014 |
Monster by Walter Dean Myers. Illustrations by Christopher Myers. Copy right 1999. Publisher HarperCollins publishers. pages 281.

Type of Book: Realistic Fiction

Summary: A sixteen year old African American boy is on trial for being an accomplice to a murder. He was supposedly the one that scoped the place out for cops before the robbery took place. Steve Harmon is his name and he records his experiences throughout the trial and in prison in the form of a film. He is also trying to figure out the path his life is on and the path his life has taken.

Response: I enjoyed this book very much. It only took me three days to read it. The book is a very easy read and was interesting. I figured out what the ending would be but it was like you were watching it on t.v. like you would any televised court hearing. I thought this book was awesome.
  singleton2012 | Mar 2, 2014 |
Very intense novel about a young 16 year-old black boy from Harlem, Steve, who is on trial for murder. Told through a screenplay and Steve's diary entry, this very impactful book is one that will make you think about what it means to be guilty and what a life is worth. ( )
  smheatherly2 | Nov 24, 2013 |
To John Brendel for his long friendship
The best time to cry is at night, when the lights are out and someone is being beaten up and screaming for help.
I think I finally understand why there are so many fights. In here all you have going for you is the little surface stuff, how people look at you and what they say.

I am so scared. My heart is beating like crazy and I am having trouble breathing.

I want to know who I am.

...what did she see that caused her to turn away?"

I appreciated this story, and think it is a good read for young adults. I also think this book has the potential to bring in young readers who may not be that interested in reading. A big idea around the story is decision making and consequences which easily opens up discussion. Additionally, the story is presented and the reader reaches their own decision which would foster debate and interpretation skills within the reader.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407314, Paperback)

"Monster" is what the prosecutor called 16-year-old Steve Harmon for his supposed role in the fatal shooting of a convenience-store owner. But was Steve really the lookout who gave the "all clear" to the murderer, or was he just in the wrong place at the wrong time? In this innovative novel by Walter Dean Myers, the reader becomes both juror and witness during the trial of Steve's life. To calm his nerves as he sits in the courtroom, aspiring filmmaker Steve chronicles the proceedings in movie script format. Interspersed throughout his screenplay are journal writings that provide insight into Steve's life before the murder and his feelings about being held in prison during the trial. "They take away your shoelaces and your belt so you can't kill yourself no matter how bad it is. I guess making you live is part of the punishment."

Myers, known for the inner-city classic Motown and Didi (first published in 1984), proves with Monster that he has kept up with both the struggles and the lingo of today's teens. Steve is an adolescent caught up in the violent circumstances of an adult world--a situation most teens can relate to on some level. Readers will no doubt be attracted to the novel's handwriting-style typeface, emphasis on dialogue, and fast-paced courtroom action. By weaving together Steve's journal entries and his script, Myers has given the first-person voice a new twist and added yet another worthy volume to his already admirable body of work. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:51 -0400)

While on trial as an accomplice to a murder, sixteen-year-old Steve Harmon records his experiences in prison and in the courtroom in the form of a film script as he tries to come to terms with the course his life has taken.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,415,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible