Monster by Walter Dean Myers

Monster (original 1999; edition 2001)

by Walter Dean Myers

3,2743001,678 (3.7)1 / 53
Authors:Walter Dean Myers
Info:Amistad (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 281 pages
Tags:Crime, Innocent, Adolescent

Monster by Walter Dean Myers (1999)

Decent book. Really shows what can happen when you get involved with the wrong crowd. Would be good to read if you ever feel like tout don't belong. ( )
  Johnny-Allen | Sep 29, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book. It kept me on my toes. I did not want to set the book down. ( )
  kacywacy | Sep 26, 2016 |
The book Monster was one that I surprisingly enjoyed reading. It shows the struggles that people,especially African American males, have and experiences that others do nit understand. Although the book was a bit confusing to read at first due to the flashbacks, cutting to different scenes, and the cuts to the future, it was still fascinating and a bit sad to learn about the problems that people in jail have to face. Defiantly something that I would recommend. ( )
  Mpw115 | Sep 20, 2016 |
Overall this was a very good book. The illustrations were very helpful to understudying Steve's raw emotions. This book was a very good insight to what it is like to be on trial for something as harsh as felony murder. ( )
  zt138 | Sep 19, 2016 |
Although Steve didn't get the 25 to life in prison, is he completely innocent? The question arises at the end of the book. Is this screen play really over? James King is found guilty instead of Steve. So, why isn't everyone happy? His attorney doesn't hug him at the end when he turns to her a hug . Does writing the screen play help him develop a mask to hide who he really is? Wow needs a pt.2 ( )
  mwj78 | Sep 19, 2016 |
This book was good in my opinion. There were a lot of comments on the way the book was written, but I personally enjoyed it. It was a unique format and well written. The fact that he spent lots of time in prison helps make his story seem more real.
added by m.marie.g | editMSU AdolLit, Michelle Green

Walter Dean Myersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Myers, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John Brendel for his long friendship
The best time to cry is at night, when the lights are out and someone is being beaten up and screaming for help.
I think I finally understand why there are so many fights. In here all you have going for you is the little surface stuff, how people look at you and what they say.

I am so scared. My heart is beating like crazy and I am having trouble breathing.

I want to know who I am.

...what did she see that caused her to turn away?"

I appreciated this story, and think it is a good read for young adults. I also think this book has the potential to bring in young readers who may not be that interested in reading. A big idea around the story is decision making and consequences which easily opens up discussion. Additionally, the story is presented and the reader reaches their own decision which would foster debate and interpretation skills within the reader.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407314, Paperback)

"Monster" is what the prosecutor called 16-year-old Steve Harmon for his supposed role in the fatal shooting of a convenience-store owner. But was Steve really the lookout who gave the "all clear" to the murderer, or was he just in the wrong place at the wrong time? In this innovative novel by Walter Dean Myers, the reader becomes both juror and witness during the trial of Steve's life. To calm his nerves as he sits in the courtroom, aspiring filmmaker Steve chronicles the proceedings in movie script format. Interspersed throughout his screenplay are journal writings that provide insight into Steve's life before the murder and his feelings about being held in prison during the trial. "They take away your shoelaces and your belt so you can't kill yourself no matter how bad it is. I guess making you live is part of the punishment."

Myers, known for the inner-city classic Motown and Didi (first published in 1984), proves with Monster that he has kept up with both the struggles and the lingo of today's teens. Steve is an adolescent caught up in the violent circumstances of an adult world--a situation most teens can relate to on some level. Readers will no doubt be attracted to the novel's handwriting-style typeface, emphasis on dialogue, and fast-paced courtroom action. By weaving together Steve's journal entries and his script, Myers has given the first-person voice a new twist and added yet another worthy volume to his already admirable body of work. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:56 -0400)

While on trial as an accomplice to a murder, sixteen-year-old Steve Harmon records his experiences in prison and in the courtroom in the form of a film script as he tries to come to terms with the course his life has taken.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,831,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible