Acheron (Dark-Hunter, Book 12) by Sherrilyn…

Acheron (Dark-Hunter, Book 12) (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Sherrilyn Kenyon

2,061944,795 (4.38)9
Member:DevonShea5
Title:Acheron (Dark-Hunter, Book 12)
Authors:Sherrilyn Kenyon
Info:St. Martin's Press (2008), Hardcover, 736 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:paranormal romance

Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon (2008)

Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Kodibear)
    Kodibear: A man with a tortured past learns not only trust, but how to love and be loved.
    Darkness Dawns by Dianne Duvall (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Immortal Guardians are similar to the Dark-Hunters and their leader Seth is powerful, yet protective, like Acheron.

I have recently come to adore this series, and I started at some of the earlier books...where you start to really love Acheron, and the moment this book became available to me through a free online audio library that is available through my local library....I just had to pick this one up. It is a long one, and since it is a audio book it took me some time to get through it. To be honest, the first half of the book...is really difficult to get through. It starts at the beginning of seeing his mother who was forced to give him up so he could survive not knowing what he would go through. When he is born a twin to a mortal queen, he should have been adored and treated like a prince right?? Wrong!! The only difference in looks between himself and his twin..his swirling silver eyes. Those eyes made him be rejected by his family except for one person...his older sister Rissa.

We see Acheron as a little boy being abused and beaten by his father, then skip years later to when he was a teenager...and oh the things we see I just wanted to cry for him. Rissa loves her brother, even though she is naive to the ways of her family and the ways of the world....she adores her brother. The rest of his mortal life is heartbreaking, and I will warn you, you need a box of tissues. Then Artemis steps in and I the more you see the way she uses him ....I wanted to strangle that "Heffer goddess" (according to Simi). Then we see him find out his true parentage, and events turn pretty crazy and we the man he becomes as he is in the present. There is so much depth and character to Acheron....he blew me away!! What a man and a god....amazing!! LOVE him so much!! But does it end there?? no he needs to have his happy ending right? An the woman for him is NOT artemis...thank goodness!!

We see a young woman enter into the story...a woman that is the perfect mate for Acheron in every way. She is everything he needs to heal from the past. Everyday he is reminded of his past and it haunts him. Tory is a historian and archaeologist. She is passionate about her work. Her family has been mocked and ridiculed...and is determined to make sure her parent's deaths are redeemed, by bringing honor and dignity and respect to their life's work...the find of Atlantis. She knows it exists. But at a presentation, of the most renown scientists and historian's she is mocked by Acheron. Acheron is shocked to see that this small woman may be the means to destroying him. No one must know the truth of his past or his connection to Atlantis. It could destroy the world. At first Tory only sees a man that dresses in black, handsome, but a scoundrel, wears piercings and is dangerous. She thinks him a college frat boy who doesn't know anything....little does she know that he is older than she could imagine. The romance is a bit rocky at first, but when Tory is in danger from enemies unknown to even Acheron...he knows he must protect her at all costs. Acheron and Tory form a strong link to each other...a bond that begins with friendship and then to a burning passion. Acheron knows he can't have this woman, who is beautiful and spirited and passionate...a woman too good for the likes of him. But Tory....she fights and protects those she calls loved ones...and when she starts falling in love with him. She realizes she would do anything for this man....no one would keep her from him even Acheron himself. Then Simi steps in and well we all love Simi, and I wondered how she would be with Tory....and have no fear I can just see them shopping together. Simi is charming, with a love of BBQ sauce, protector of Acheron and bitter enemy of Artemis ( who wouldn't love this demon who worms her way into your heart)

The romance between Acheron and Tory is passionate, vibrant and riveting in the emotional sense. When Acheron learns to trust the one woman he has loved more than any other....he believes she will reject him but I love a strong heroine, and Tory is a favorite of mine. She has such strength, and is willing to stand up for Acheron in such a way that breaks your heart!! After reading the first half and really seeing the kind of man Acheron is....and then to see Tory and the way she is with him and the manner in which she fights for the man she adores...it is truly breathtaking. The love between them is so tender yet wildly passionate. It tugs at your heart strings, and sings a tune of deep love and devotion, fighting for your mate, and a tale to bring tears to your eyes yet a smile on your face.An epic romance story guaranteed to enthrall you!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 19, 2019 |
Mindless and pointless.
Aargh! My head is about to explode out of boredom from flipping the pages.

pree00 | Mar 6, 2019 |
This reader's personal opinion, ©2018, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by goodreads, Google Play, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*

The first and second half of this book were so completely different. I almost feel like I should be reviewing two separate books. (I've seen it numbered in the main Dark Hunter series as 12, 14, 15 or 16 depending on which book site you use -- author's website says 14.)

Full disclaimer: I've only read a couple of out of order books in this series. Seemed pretty typical PNR with alpha males and predictable romances. Liked well enough, but not blown away (or always in the mood to read). Barely remember the reads.

The first half of this book was very different from what I remember of the series. Full of a pantheon of gods including familiar Olympians. Origin story, drama, family angst -- really remniscient of a lot of what I consider "mythology." Surprising bit of worldbuilding including Atlantis. I did get into the characters of God Acheron and his human sister Ryssa. Although not the most explicit I've read, fair warning -- it overall winds up a grim story with lots of betrayal, torture (including child abuse). While less explicit, it's very clear he was not only raped as a child, he was trafficked.

I'd have given it ★★★★☆ if hadn't read second half. Which took place in modern days and really rather did little with Atlantis (okay, neither did first half but kept me hoping and in second half there was an artifact from that different forces wanted for different reasons) and little with the pantheons despite small appearances from Artemis. The stereotypical PNR saved because I did still like Acheron and initially the heroine/love-interest.

I could have done without a lot of male posturing and probably would have enjoyed the humor and what seemed like cameos more if had been more familiar with series to be invested in the guest stars.

The ending, well, guess gods and goddesses get it easy.

The glimpses of the worldbuilding in this series, the tales of how Dark Hunters came to be, and the bits of more storylines hinted at by cameos have made me want to read more in series. It's more interesting seeming than what I initially dismissed as another not very original, fated mate PNR series. I will read on when in the mood.

*©2018. All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher (except Penumbra Publishing) to reprint/quote in whole or in part. I may also have cross-posted on Libib, LibraryThing, and other sites including retailers like kobo and Barnes and Noble. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties or indicate release of copyright.

Ratings scale used:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average. Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept reading in hopes would improve.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking. (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews. Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?) ( )
  Spurts | Sep 8, 2018 |
3.5 stars

Sigh. I would never had imagined his horrific beginnings and it's amazing that he is such a good person. I do have to say that I preferred the first half of the story over the second. Kenyon, IMO, hasn't written a great romance in a while. I don't feel the connection or chemistry between the main characters and, sadly, Acheron was no exception. I also felt that he wasn't the same person I've come to love over the course of the series. Even though I now know why, he came off as whiny and needy and I'm used to seeing the strong Ash. I haven't decided yet if I am done with the Dark Hunters for good. ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Acheron
4 Stars

Having lived a life of unbearable hardship and suffering, Acheron Parthenopaeus, the enigmatic leader of the Dark-Hunters, will do anything to keep the horror of his early life a secret from those who trust him with their lives. But Atlantologist, Dr. Tory Kafieri, is on the verge of revealing Acheron’s dark past and he will have to do something drastic to stop her …

This book languished on my unfinished shelf for a couple of years as I tried again and again to struggle through the first few sections. It isn’t that the story is slow paced or boring in any way. On the contrary, Kenyon’s writing is engrossing and the details of Acheron’s devastating childhood are heart-wrenching. Perhaps herein lies the problem as the first 50% of the book details the truly awful life that Acheron was forced to endure and the descriptions are so harsh, vicious and cruel that it is difficult to continue reading.

The second half of the story involves Acheron’s love/hate relationship with Tory, the one woman who couldn’t care less about his past and refuses to be intimidated by a man who could snuff out her life in a heartbeat. The romance is lovely and it is wonderful to see Acheron find the happiness that has been denied him for far too long. The love and loyalty of the Dark-Hunters for their leader is also something special to behold and it made me want to go back an re-read all of their stories.

Despite my initial struggles with the book, Acheron is well worth the read although I cannot say that it completely lives up to the hype as his heartbreaking past does detract somewhat from the aura of invincibility that had been established throughout the first 13 books of the series.

It will be interesting to see where Kenyon takes the series now that her most powerful character has his HEA. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
For my husband, who is my eye in the storm. Hand in hand, we've weathered many typhoons, and together we're still here. Thank you for being my light in the darkness and for showing me what loyalty and love are all about. You are the gentle wind that allows me to soar to the highest level. Thank you.

And for my children, who never shirk at eating more pizza. You guys are the greatest.
May 9, 9548 BC

"Kill that baby!"

"In your past lies your future..."

The most anticipated story in the blockbuster Dark-Hunter series. The never-before-revealed story of the Dark-Hunter leader, Acheron.  He was made human in order to escape death, but in death he was reborn a god. . .

Eleven thousand years ago a god was born. Cursed into the body of a human, Acheron spent a lifetime of shame. However, his human death unleashed an unspeakable horror that almost destroyed the earth. Then, brought back against his will, Acheron became the sole defender of mankind.

Only it was never that simple. For centuries, he has fought for our survival and hidden a past he’ll do anything to keep concealed. Until a lone woman who refuses to be intimidated by him threatens his very existence.

Now his survival, and ours, hinges on hers and old enemies reawaken and unite to kill them both.

War has never been more deadly... or more fun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:44 -0400)

Determined to solve an ancient mystery, a woman undertakes a forbidden quest that pits her against the Dark-Hunter leader and proud god Acheron, with whom she joins forces when ancient guardians and old enemies threaten both of them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,433,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible