Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Acheron (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Holter Graham (Narrator)

Member:Lostshadows
Title:Acheron
Authors:Sherrilyn Kenyon (Author)
Other authors:Holter Graham (Narrator)
Info:MacMillian Audio (2008), Unabridged Audio CD
Collections:Library Books, Read but unowned, Read 2012 (inactive)

Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon (2008)

Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Kodibear)
    Kodibear: A man with a tortured past learns not only trust, but how to love and be loved.
    Darkness Dawns by Dianne Duvall (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Immortal Guardians are similar to the Dark-Hunters and their leader Seth is powerful, yet protective, like Acheron.

English (84)  German (1)  All languages (85)
Acheron
4 Stars

Having lived a life of unbearable hardship and suffering, Acheron Parthenopaeus, the enigmatic leader of the Dark-Hunters, will do anything to keep the horror of his early life a secret from those who trust him with their lives. But Atlantologist, Dr. Tory Kafieri, is on the verge of revealing Acheron’s dark past and he will have to do something drastic to stop her …

This book languished on my unfinished shelf for a couple of years as I tried again and again to struggle through the first few sections. It isn’t that the story is slow paced or boring in any way. On the contrary, Kenyon’s writing is engrossing and the details of Acheron’s devastating childhood are heart-wrenching. Perhaps herein lies the problem as the first 50% of the book details the truly awful life that Acheron was forced to endure and the descriptions are so harsh, vicious and cruel that it is difficult to continue reading.

The second half of the story involves Acheron’s love/hate relationship with Tory, the one woman who couldn’t care less about his past and refuses to be intimidated by a man who could snuff out her life in a heartbeat. The romance is lovely and it is wonderful to see Acheron find the happiness that has been denied him for far too long. The love and loyalty of the Dark-Hunters for their leader is also something special to behold and it made me want to go back an re-read all of their stories.

Despite my initial struggles with the book, Acheron is well worth the read although I cannot say that it completely lives up to the hype as his heartbreaking past does detract somewhat from the aura of invincibility that had been established throughout the first 13 books of the series.

It will be interesting to see where Kenyon takes the series now that her most powerful character has his HEA. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I've read a few of this series but just could not get into this one. I got though maybe one third of the book and gave up. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
I started this last night and read almost 200 pages of it. nice fast read that holds you in the book. Its a HUGE book! Then I got up and read another couple hundred pages and kept knocking it out that way. Very enjoyable read. It was great to learn Acheron's background - tragic that it is - and to see him finally find the person for him in Soteria. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Audio- It was a roller-coaster ride through hell and back much of it on the shoulders of a little boy. There were just too many details of torture for me to have enjoyed this book. I think part 2 was a decent attempt to bring some 'life' to this poor character, but I just couldn't stop "seeing' what was done before.
I may be done with the series. I am taking a break from it. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
With a lot of action and character development, this is by far the best book in the Dark Hunter series. ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
For my husband, who is my eye in the storm. Hand in hand, we've weathered many typhoons, and together we're still here. Thank you for being my light in the darkness and for showing me what loyalty and love are all about. You are the gentle wind that allows me to soar to the highest level. Thank you.

And for my children, who never shirk at eating more pizza. You guys are the greatest.
"Kill that baby!"

"In your past lies your future..."

The most anticipated story in the blockbuster Dark-Hunter series. The never-before-revealed story of the Dark-Hunter leader, Acheron.  He was made human in order to escape death, but in death he was reborn a god. . .

Eleven thousand years ago a god was born. Cursed into the body of a human, Acheron spent a lifetime of shame. However, his human death unleashed an unspeakable horror that almost destroyed the earth. Then, brought back against his will, Acheron became the sole defender of mankind.

Only it was never that simple. For centuries, he has fought for our survival and hidden a past he’ll do anything to keep concealed. Until a lone woman who refuses to be intimidated by him threatens his very existence.

Now his survival, and ours, hinges on hers and old enemies reawaken and unite to kill them both.

War has never been more deadly... or more fun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:44 -0400)

Eleven thousand years ago a god was born. Cursed into the body of a human, Acheron spent a lifetime in shame. However, his human death unleashed an unspeakable horror that almost destroyed the earth. Then, brought back against his will, Acheron became the sole defender of mankind. Only it was never that simple. For centuries, he has fought for our survival and has hidden a past he never wanted revealed. Until a lone woman who refuses to be intimidated by him threatens his very existence. Now Acheron's survival, and ours, depends on her, and old enemies reawaken and unite to kill them both. War has never been more deadly...or more fun.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,601,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible