Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Acheron (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Holter Graham (Narrator)

Member:Lostshadows
Title:Acheron
Authors:Sherrilyn Kenyon (Author)
Other authors:Holter Graham (Narrator)
Info:MacMillian Audio (2008), Unabridged Audio CD
Collections:Library Books, Read but unowned, Read 2012 (inactive)

Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon (2008)

Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Kodibear)
    Kodibear: A man with a tortured past learns not only trust, but how to love and be loved.
    Darkness Dawns by Dianne Duvall (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Immortal Guardians are similar to the Dark-Hunters and their leader Seth is powerful, yet protective, like Acheron.

English (81)  German (1)  All languages (82)
At last! I was so giddy when I could finally start with Acheron's story. Finally one of my most beloved characters will find some peace and hopefully be free of the "heifer-goddess." (Simi's words not mine ;) ) I was even more thrilled to find that this book would be the longest yet, more then 700 pages, bring it on!

The first part was wonderful and heartbreaking. Acheron's past was even darker and crueler than I imagined, so I was glad when we returned to our time. Now it was finally his turn :). However I felt something missing in the second part...

Don't get me wrong, I like Tory a lot, she's very funny and quite witty, but I don't get why it's she who breaks the walls around his heart. She's not that special and I know for sure she's not the only woman out there who would place Acheron before her and only give and not take. I mean Acheron has wandered around this earth for thousands of years so why didn't he meet someone like that sooner? I know I'm nitpicking a bit at the moment, but I expected that there would be at least some kind of prophecy or something like that for the one who would manage to break the walls and steel Acheron's heart... It felt a bit too random...

There is also the time period in which Tory manages to get past his defenses. A man who has been betrayed in the worst ways time and time again. Who has been abused for thousands of years has a lot of issues to say the least. It took Ryssa months to get Ash to trust her, and this was before he was utterly betrayed, so how is it possible that Tory could manage this in a couple of weeks?? Sorry but that is just not plausible...

Therefore I can't give this book more than 3 stars. Even though the first part was sublime, it was the second part that I could not find myself to like that much, even though I'm thrilled to now that Acheron finally found his haven :) Now if only his mom could be free too without ending the world and Nick would be able to reconcile with Acheron and everyone would be happy :)

CarpeLibra | Aug 16, 2015 |
IMHO Acheron is the BEST book in Ms. Kenyon's Dark-Hunter Series! I'd heard this book was good but I thought most of the reviews were a bit too enthusiastic - turns out they were right.

The first half of the book was very hard to get through even knowing the major high (more like low) points ahead of time but getting the background, the who, what, when and where, was worth the reading. You knew ahead of time if Acheron got his own story he would end up with his HEA but it was wonderful to see such a torchered soul find love and peace with his early life.

More than most of the other Dark-Hunter Books I think Archeron could be read as a stand alone book without having read all the previous stories.

I loved it!! ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |

I loved it!! ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |
The story of Acheron, why he is who he is and how he got to be that way. I found it an interesting story. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 11, 2015 |
No puedo creer que la autora haya arruinado al gigante , enorme y maravilloso ACHERON - dicho sea de paso , lo ùnico bueno que ha creado hasta la fecha - poniendole como pareja a semejante pelotuda .

Sinceramente , no lo entiendo . Se merecìa algo muchìsimo mejor.

Me cagò el libro .

Empezò genial , en nada similar a la porquerìa de siempre .

De verdad lo digo , la primera mitad es impresionante . Dolorosa , mìtica , mucha historia ; ACHERON es el verdadero hèroe torturado , un esclavo, abandonado y despreciado desde que naciò ; un semi-dios ignorado que ha sido encerrado , lejos de la apreciaciòn pùblica , cuya belleza tan increible que enloquece. Hasta obsesiona a la diosa Artemisa quien si ya leyeron alguno de los libros de la serie sabran entonces lo ha perseguido durante miles de años , desesperada y loca por èl .

Un librazo arruinado , violado y torturado con la segunda mitad .

No puede ser tan turra la autora de darle a un personaje tan genial como Acheron una compañera tan idiota-idiota-idiota como la estupida BELLA-SWAN-WANNABE que le encajo.

Urghhh !!

Obviamnte a Kenyon no le da la cabeza para escribir buenos personajes femeninos . (POR FAVOR , SI HASTA J.R. WARD inventó a la increible XHEX!!!)

Una verguenza . Para ponerle una mina así al lado , mejor lo hubiese dejado solo.

Además , ¿Por que tiene que ser obligatorio que se enamore??

En mi opiniòn , màs aceptable hubiera sido la historia de un encuentro e incio de familia con la hija que ARTEMISA nunca le dijo que habìan tenido.

Arruinò el libro .

4 puntos por la primera mitad . Lo demàs no vale la pena. ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
For my husband, who is my eye in the storm. Hand in hand, we've weathered many typhoons, and together we're still here. Thank you for being my light in the darkness and for showing me what loyalty and love are all about. You are the gentle wind that allows me to soar to the highest level. Thank you.

And for my children, who never shirk at eating more pizza. You guys are the greatest.
"Kill that baby!"

"In your past lies your future..."

The most anticipated story in the blockbuster Dark-Hunter series. The never-before-revealed story of the Dark-Hunter leader, Acheron.  He was made human in order to escape death, but in death he was reborn a god. . .

Eleven thousand years ago a god was born. Cursed into the body of a human, Acheron spent a lifetime of shame. However, his human death unleashed an unspeakable horror that almost destroyed the earth. Then, brought back against his will, Acheron became the sole defender of mankind.

Only it was never that simple. For centuries, he has fought for our survival and hidden a past he’ll do anything to keep concealed. Until a lone woman who refuses to be intimidated by him threatens his very existence.

Now his survival, and ours, hinges on hers and old enemies reawaken and unite to kill them both.

War has never been more deadly... or more fun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:44 -0400)

Eleven thousand years ago a god was born. Cursed into the body of a human, Acheron spent a lifetime in shame. However, his human death unleashed an unspeakable horror that almost destroyed the earth. Then, brought back against his will, Acheron became the sole defender of mankind. Only it was never that simple. For centuries, he has fought for our survival and has hidden a past he never wanted revealed. Until a lone woman who refuses to be intimidated by him threatens his very existence. Now Acheron's survival, and ours, depends on her, and old enemies reawaken and unite to kill them both. War has never been more deadly...or more fun.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,157,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible