The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen

The Gardener (edition 2010)

by S.A. Bodeen

259None43,825 (3.59)7
Member:KatieLamb
Title:The Gardener
Authors:S.A. Bodeen
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2010), Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2010, fantasy, Oregon, science fiction, biotechnology, dystopia, human experiments, ya, thriller, genetics, 7 Fantasy

The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen

The Gardner By S. A. Bodeen truly brought me into the mix of science fiction and realistic fiction. On a visit to the nursing home in which his mother works, Mason, the main character of the book, discovers that her mothers job does not involve caring for the elderly patients as he imagined, but for several teenagers who, look like teenagers but are actually science experiments. When his mother steps away from the experiments, Mason accidentally awakens teens awakens in response to a DVD that he puts on. Mason has had that DVD since he was a kid and shows this wieid guy that talks directly to Mason. The human experiment suffers from amnesia but somehow knows she must escape her current environment and begs Mason for his help. He suddenly finds himself on the run from TroDyn Industries, the evil scientific corporation that owns the town Mason lives in. It has been using the girl as part of some sort of research to help mankind—but what kind of research? And is there a way Mason can find his father that Mason has never even met before, even when he is sixteen years old?

Bodeen made a lovely book that drowned me with a powerful voice that is meant to be heard. The tone of voice in the whole book is by far anything I have read. I have read The Compound, another great work of hers, but that doesn't even compare to the power she puts into every word of this book. A great book to read. But, it gets a little predictable at times, a hated thing for me. Also, she put some words and phrases that were a little uninteresting to me. But, overall, I think Bodeen did a good job on this, even though there were some bumps on the road to reading this. A good well thought out book. ( )
  br14nama | Nov 20, 2013 |
This book sits on the edge between realistic fiction and science fiction which makes it seem more probable. There's an enjoyable amount of suspense as Mason untangles the mystery of his own life in pursuing answers about Laila. I couldn't help wondering how the solution to famine in this book was really a solution though. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 12, 2013 |
Not as twisted or intense as The Compound but gripping thriller nonethelesse with an intriguing premise and lots of cliffhangers. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Could have been really interesting, but gets bogged down in its infodumps. And I don't care for this author's writing style. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Before reading this book i could have never even imagining humans becoming autotrophs. Although it would be extremely useful. An amazing book! Bodeen did an amazing job intergrating science and fiction.
  ReadingisNOTlame | Jan 5, 2012 |
"If you become a mountain climber," said the little bunny,
"I will be a crocus in a hidden garden."
"If you become a crocus in a hidden garden," said his mother,
"I will be a gardener. And I will find you."
~Margaret Wise Brown
For Tanzie
The videotape of my father was never meant to be seen by me, and were it not for a chow mix ripping apart half my face, the man might have remained only a mysterious void.

Fifteen-year-old Mason has never known his father, but longs to. All he has of him is a DVD of a man whose face is never seen, reading a children's book. One day, on a whim, he plays the DVD for a group of comatose teens at the nursing home where his mother works. One of them, a beautiful girl, responds...

When high school sophomore Mason finds a beautiful but catatonic girl in the nursing home where his mother works, the discovery leads him to revelations about a series of disturbing human experiments that have a connection to his own life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible