The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen

The Gardener (edition 2010)

by S.A. Bodeen

Member:KatieLamb
Title:The Gardener
Authors:S.A. Bodeen
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2010), Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2010, fantasy, Oregon, science fiction, biotechnology, dystopia, human experiments, ya, thriller, genetics, 7 Fantasy

The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen

Interesting concept. Sure would save a lot of time. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Mason has applied for a internship at TroDyn, in hopes of getting a scholarship after graduation. But his mother is totally against Mason having anything to do with TroDyn. Mason soon learns of the experimentation going on at TroDyn and how close it is to him.Things to make you go hummm. Invasion to the body snatchers w/o the aliens. ( )
  ThePageturners | Apr 22, 2014 |
This book is about a kid who was attacked by a dog finds his way of life. In the beginning Mason is attacked by a "friendly dog" in which he used to pet everyday. Later when he is in high school he is offered a summer job at TroDyn. Mason's mom says that he cant go so he goes to her job so he can talk to her about going. Then he finds a girl sleeping. Mason was really scared so he played a video of his long-lost dad reading a book. One line in the book woke the girl up. Then Mason goes on the run with his friend to protect the girl form the gardener (masons dad) who grew her.

I gave this book a rating of 3 and a half stars because this book was interesting. However there were some parts of this book that I think should be left out. These part were a little inappropriate. for example the girl didn't know how to get dressed so she asked Mason for help. Mason looked at her bare back which I thought that was uncalled for. Otherwise this was a good book. if there is another I would like to read it. ( )
  AustinR.G3 | Apr 19, 2014 |
The Gardner By S. A. Bodeen truly brought me into the mix of science fiction and realistic fiction. On a visit to the nursing home in which his mother works, Mason, the main character of the book, discovers that her mothers job does not involve caring for the elderly patients as he imagined, but for several teenagers who, look like teenagers but are actually science experiments. When his mother steps away from the experiments, Mason accidentally awakens teens awakens in response to a DVD that he puts on. Mason has had that DVD since he was a kid and shows this wieid guy that talks directly to Mason. The human experiment suffers from amnesia but somehow knows she must escape her current environment and begs Mason for his help. He suddenly finds himself on the run from TroDyn Industries, the evil scientific corporation that owns the town Mason lives in. It has been using the girl as part of some sort of research to help mankind—but what kind of research? And is there a way Mason can find his father that Mason has never even met before, even when he is sixteen years old?

Bodeen made a lovely book that drowned me with a powerful voice that is meant to be heard. The tone of voice in the whole book is by far anything I have read. I have read The Compound, another great work of hers, but that doesn't even compare to the power she puts into every word of this book. A great book to read. But, it gets a little predictable at times, a hated thing for me. Also, she put some words and phrases that were a little uninteresting to me. But, overall, I think Bodeen did a good job on this, even though there were some bumps on the road to reading this. A good well thought out book. ( )
  br14nama | Nov 20, 2013 |
This book sits on the edge between realistic fiction and science fiction which makes it seem more probable. There's an enjoyable amount of suspense as Mason untangles the mystery of his own life in pursuing answers about Laila. I couldn't help wondering how the solution to famine in this book was really a solution though. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 12, 2013 |
"If you become a mountain climber," said the little bunny,
"I will be a crocus in a hidden garden."
"If you become a crocus in a hidden garden," said his mother,
"I will be a gardener. And I will find you."
~Margaret Wise Brown
For Tanzie
The videotape of my father was never meant to be seen by me, and were it not for a chow mix ripping apart half my face, the man might have remained only a mysterious void.

Fifteen-year-old Mason has never known his father, but longs to. All he has of him is a DVD of a man whose face is never seen, reading a children's book. One day, on a whim, he plays the DVD for a group of comatose teens at the nursing home where his mother works. One of them, a beautiful girl, responds...

When high school sophomore Mason finds a beautiful but catatonic girl in the nursing home where his mother works, the discovery leads him to revelations about a series of disturbing human experiments that have a connection to his own life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,131,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible