Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Authors:Meg Cabot
Info:William Morrow (2010), Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Recently added bysedelia, INorris, private library, trigstarom, lauhlman, zoeplant
    Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot (f_ing_kangaroo)
    f_ing_kangaroo: My favorite of Meg Cabot's adult books. Recommended if you liked the humorous aspects of Insatiable.
    Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (Books007)
    Books007: VA series reads like a youth adult version of this book.
    Soulless by Gail Carriger (rhonna)

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*
Okay, normally I dont hate on books. I see them as entertainment - a view into another person's mind and/or fantasies. They're fun. I learn something new, its a bonus. I only need a strong main character, a decent plot and an ending that doesnt make me puke or scream.

I did lots of these during Cabot's vampire novel. About the only thing I found interesting was when she punts a bat off the top of the building - but not enough amusement to redeem a book that either is an attempt at cashing in on the vampire hype OR Cabot's way of making fun of the literature.

First off, it starts way too slow. It took 1/3rd of the book for whats-her-face and whats-his-face to meet. Oh right, Lucien and uh..whatever. I cant even remember their names. The characters were meh, the plot was..more meh and the ending? Love triangle? Really? I get it, a sequel, well played madam. Yet..

Lucien is clearly insane. One moment hes thinking "redemption, salvation" and the next hes thinking "con her into letting me bite her" and the next "i want to make my meal into a vampire so we can be together forever!" *headdesk* Do they have mood stabilizing drugs for Vampires? If not, I have a fantastic guinea pig right here! He starts off as decently cultured, intelligent and hoping for redemption and makes a speedy de-evolution into..Im not sure. Creepy stalker? He sounds EXACTLY like Dimitri Belikov from the Vampire Academy series. "One day, my pretty, my stalking will come to fruition and I will eat you!" Oi.

And the weird Palatine guard? Oh lord. At least his character isnt too insane, over the top or stalkerish. We learn most about him, and his character is most fleshed out. He isnt realistic, though. He was treated so badly when a child and now he wants to save everyone from vampires? Sure its possible, but his reasoning in the book? Do we get it? I dont remember, honestly.

The heroine is flaky, has a useless ability that Im nto even sure WHY vampires would need it. Who care how my food is going to die? Damn. She whines about some totebag, and when she finally gets it? Doesnt want it. Kinda like how she wanted Lucien then didnt want him - but wants the guard guy instead once she has the prince(not a theme here? I cant even begin to take this book seriously enough to remember names..cept the one named after the vampire in Underworld.)

Mrs Cabot, is this a spoof novel? If so..it made me hate vampires like you wanted, but unfortunately just yours. I will not be reading book two. Anyone want to light a bonfire of Insatiable? ( )
  trigstarom | Sep 19, 2015 |
I suspect that Cabot wrote this book in part to ride the vampire-wave that Twilight started, and in part as a response to it. It gently pokes fun at the idea of vampires in general before getting down to the plot. Meena Harper is a soap opera writer who has just been passed over for a promotion and told that her show is selling out and doing a vampire story line. At the same time, women are turning up dead, drained of their blood. Oh, and Meena is psychic and can tell how people are going to die, and ends up in the middle of a vampire war. Throw in one sexy vampire prince, a vampire hunter from the Vatican, and her hapless brother, and you have one very fun book. I really enjoyed this one. ( )
  wisemetis | Aug 28, 2015 |
interesting characters - soap opera "Insatiable" and the writer for that soap has the gift of knowing how whoever she touches will die. She tries to save them. She ends up falling for a vampire and crushing on vampire slayer from the Vatican. She ends up deciding against being with the vampire because she saw him turn into a dragon. About an 8 out of 10 ( )
  pallwardt | Jul 2, 2015 |
Meena Harper is a dialogue writer for Insatiable, TV's number two daytime soap--the she hopes to become head writer for the show she's loved for years (even before she worked on it). There's something else Meena Harper does, something she doesn't let everyone know about . . . she knows when people are going to die just by meeting them.

She knows from experience that people aren't quite open to receiving her news, so she's found ways to warn them without quite telling them why they need to keep her number around or avoid elevators or chicken wings.

Meena's life is about to get a whole lot more interesting because not only is Insatiable about to introduce a vampire storyline to compete with Lust the number one soap (which Meena hates because vampires are misogynistic monsters), but her talkative neighbor sends out an e-vite for a dinner party with her husband's cousin, a Romanian prince who's in town.

Lucien Antonescu, a history professor in Budapest is in town to catch a serial killer leaving exsanguinated girls in NYC parks--and, apparently, attend a dinner party.

Soon, his nemesis Alaric Wulf of the Palatine Guard-a group of vampire hunters headed by the Vatican--is also in Meena's life and a vampire war is under way. Not to mention her pregnant best friend or her laid off brother living with her trying to convince her best friend's also laid off husband to become a cop.

While it's true the summary makes it sound like there are about ten million things going on in Insatiable (and the Amazon one says some things that I'm pretty sure aren't revealed until later a good bit later on--or I missed them!), it's okay because it's 464 pages. And because it all works together.

The characters each have their own things going on and their own reason for being in the story; they're not just there to provide something another character needs. And a soap opera is a perfect backdrop for a vampire story if you think about it--the absurdity that's always in soaps and the suggestion of vampires to normal people being absurd if you're rational.

Meena hating vampires, being so sure they're fictional (and also kind of dumb), and also being so, so against having them on her soap made the story even more enjoyable. Really this is partially an anti-vampire book that is also the best vampire book I've read in ages.

The relationships between the characters are so real and compelling that I wanted more because I really just couldn't get enough of any of them--or this story.I think this is a series and I desperately, desperately hope it is because there are certain characters/relationships/storylines that I really just need more of--and soon.

I'm starting to think I do better with Meg Cabot's adult books than I do with her YA books (and wonder if that's true for anyone else?). I think this was her NaNoWriMo novel, too and that's just insanity to me.

It is above a YA content level--not like Jeaniene Frost's Halfway to the Grave (review on my blog) but a little more than Cabot's own Size 12 Is Not Fat (review on blog, too). If you're good with that content level I very much suggest reading it!

The hugest of thank you's to the publisher for sending this book to me because I might not have read it very soon if I hadn't gotten it in the mail and I massively adored it.

1 vote BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I'm flabbergasted that Mena did not end up with Lucien or Alaric. They both love her so much but I guess there is always a chance in the future, right? ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |

Meg Cabotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauer, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a miracle.

Sick of hearing about vampires? So is Meena Harper.

But her boss is making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn't believe in them.

Not that Meena isn't familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you're going to die (not that you're going to believe her. No one ever does).

But not even Meena's precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets — then makes the mistake of falling in love with — Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side... a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire-hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.

The problem is, Lucien's already dead. Maybe that's why he's the first guy Meena's ever met that she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena's always been able to see everyone else's future, she's never been able look into her own.

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future...

If she even has one.

Meena Harper, forced to write about vampires even though she doesn't believe in them, falls in love with Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side. It's a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire hunters, would prefer to see him dead for. The problem is: Lucien's already dead! And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Insatiable by Meg Cabot was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,751,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible