Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Authors:Meg Cabot
Info:William Morrow (2010), Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot (f_ing_kangaroo)
    f_ing_kangaroo: My favorite of Meg Cabot's adult books. Recommended if you liked the humorous aspects of Insatiable.
    Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (Books007)
    Books007: VA series reads like a youth adult version of this book.
    Soulless by Gail Carriger (rhonna)

I'm a sucker for vampire stories, so I had a feeling I would enjoy Insatiable. Glad to say I did! This was my first Meg Cabot book. I enjoyed her characterizations and writing style very much. I was pleased to see the many references made to Bram Stoker's Dracula throughout the book. Not just when Meena takes out her copy, but the many hidden references that a reader who is unfamiliar with the Bram Stoker novel may be unaware of. If you're a fan of Meg Cabot, or a fan of vampires, definitely check this one out! ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 10, 2014 |
Originally Published On My Review Blog http://www.thebookavid.blogspot.com

In "Insatiable" by Meg Cabot, screen writer Meena Harper falls in love with the son of Dracula. If you haven't had enough of vampires and Dracula by now, you're certainly going to have enough after you've read this. Assuming you stuck with Meena until the end. I didn't.

It's very rare that I don't finish a novel. As a fan of Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries Series I thought that I could endure this, even though I am 50 shades of done with vampires. It's not like I didn't like them in the first place - on the contrary: I've probably read about 20% of all vampire novels that have been published in the last five years and I am actually not proud of that.

Meg Cabot's abomination did one good thing though - I am going to vow not to read a vampire novel in the next few months anymore, because this was so bad that I felt my brain melting. Why? Not necessarily because the premise isn't fresh but because it is so goddamn cliché and lazy. Meg Cabot can write, else she wouldn't be such a well known writer, but she managed to let her horrible plot and annoying characters completely cloud her talent. The way she introduces characters and skillfully switches between the point of views of her protagonists shows that she is by no means a beginner writer, but ... ugh. You feel me, ugh?

Meena Harper is the typical chick-lit protagonist. She's in a feud with her co-worker Shoshona, who just got promoted in her place, doesn't really have her life together and is heartbroken and disappointed because of her last failed romance. Cabot tries very hard to make this novel differ from every other paranormal chick-lit out there by making Meena not very girly and throwing a lot of "diverse" characters in. I love diversity, don't get me wrong, but if your character descriptions all start with "s/he had chocolate skin", I can't help but roll my eyes. I am so done with superficial characters, I am so done with supermodel love interest that are scarred because of a traumatic childhood experience.

I actually want to puke just thinking about her love interest Lucien, who is probably the most Gary Stu to ever Gary Stu. He's the heir of the Romanian Vampire King, he's powerful and rich and thoughtful, but oh no - he sucks blood in his free time. Hasn't been done before at all. The stupidity of all of Cabot's characters makes this even worse. Every single character that turns out to be a vampire, either lets their glow red or looks like a walking corpse but none of the retarded humans in this novel seem to notice.

"Yeah I last wore this dress in the 60s."
- "Wait, aren't you like 30, how can you have worn it back then?"
"Lol you misunderstood me."

ALL DIALOGUES ARE LIKE THIS I AM GOING TO KILL SOMEONE

This isn't even all that bothered me about this novel. Have you ever read something that was so bad that you just felt like stopping to read altogether? This novel did this to me. I completely lost all my motivation and faith in humanity while reading this. I told myself it would get better, I told myself that I just needed to get into it and then I'll enjoy it eventually. Boy, was I wrong. I read about threehundred pages of this before I gave up and I do not regret it.

The plot makes no sense, and the relationship between the characters is so insta-love-y that I just want to roll my eyes so deep into the back of my head that they get stuck. To make the whole reading experience even worse - there's a love triangle. I didn't get far enough to actually see it unfold properly, but the second I got a glimpse at what Cabot is planning, I decided to stop reading the novel.
On the onr hand we have Lucien, the dark mysterious romanian vampire prince, and then we have Alaric, the Vampire Hunter with an aggression problem that actually just needs a hug. Or to get laid, honestly this guy is really in need of some affection. Of course, both guys are instantly drawn to Meena. Meena is so special that everyone wants her. But oh no, she's not even a self-confident person, she doesn't see her own beauty! What a shame! Honestly, I have never wanted to punch a fictional character so badly. ( )
  bookavid | Nov 26, 2014 |
This is NOT a 3 star book. This is a 1 or 2 star book with a couple moments of truly nice characterization that I loved so much I gave a 3 star rating. Given that the protagonist of the story is a soap opera dialogue writer ENCOURAGED(forced) to develop a vampire plotline for her show, I have to wonder if Meg Cabot was ENCOURAGED to write this book. Without the too few moments of truly delicious internal dialogue that made the pricess diaries for me, this is just a poor attempt to cash in on vampire mania. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
I loved this book.
Meena Harper is a special woman that just by watching you she knows how you're going to die. She writes for a soap opera and now her bosses want to put vampires in the story! Vampires! She can't stand them, especially when they're going to destroy a soap that goes on for 30 years. So when her strange neighbor Mary Lou invites her for dinner to meet her relative that is also a "Prince", she decides to accept to get some ideas to remedy the mess her bosses want to make by putting vampires in the show. What she does not know is that she will fall in love for the prince and she will discover to be not only in a "vampire war" on the network, but in a REAL vampire war, and that she is at the center of it all.
Very amusing. ( )
  Sarah.Hansrote | May 24, 2014 |
Great book! ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |

Meg Cabotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauer, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a miracle.

Sick of hearing about vampires? So is Meena Harper.

But her boss is making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn't believe in them.

Not that Meena isn't familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you're going to die (not that you're going to believe her. No one ever does).

But not even Meena's precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets — then makes the mistake of falling in love with — Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side... a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire-hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.

The problem is, Lucien's already dead. Maybe that's why he's the first guy Meena's ever met that she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena's always been able to see everyone else's future, she's never been able look into her own.

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future...

If she even has one.

Meena Harper, forced to write about vampires even though she doesn't believe in them, falls in love with Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side. It's a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire hunters, would prefer to see him dead for. The problem is: Lucien's already dead! And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Insatiable by Meg Cabot was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,434,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible