Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Authors:Meg Cabot
Info:William Morrow (2010), Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot (f_ing_kangaroo)
    f_ing_kangaroo: My favorite of Meg Cabot's adult books. Recommended if you liked the humorous aspects of Insatiable.
    Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (Books007)
    Books007: VA series reads like a youth adult version of this book.
    Soulless by Gail Carriger (rhonna)

interesting characters - soap opera "Insatiable" and the writer for that soap has the gift of knowing how whoever she touches will die. She tries to save them. She ends up falling for a vampire and crushing on vampire slayer from the Vatican. She ends up deciding against being with the vampire because she saw him turn into a dragon. About an 8 out of 10 ( )
  pallwardt | Jul 2, 2015 |
Meena Harper is a dialogue writer for Insatiable, TV's number two daytime soap--the she hopes to become head writer for the show she's loved for years (even before she worked on it). There's something else Meena Harper does, something she doesn't let everyone know about . . . she knows when people are going to die just by meeting them.

She knows from experience that people aren't quite open to receiving her news, so she's found ways to warn them without quite telling them why they need to keep her number around or avoid elevators or chicken wings.

Meena's life is about to get a whole lot more interesting because not only is Insatiable about to introduce a vampire storyline to compete with Lust the number one soap (which Meena hates because vampires are misogynistic monsters), but her talkative neighbor sends out an e-vite for a dinner party with her husband's cousin, a Romanian prince who's in town.

Lucien Antonescu, a history professor in Budapest is in town to catch a serial killer leaving exsanguinated girls in NYC parks--and, apparently, attend a dinner party.

Soon, his nemesis Alaric Wulf of the Palatine Guard-a group of vampire hunters headed by the Vatican--is also in Meena's life and a vampire war is under way. Not to mention her pregnant best friend or her laid off brother living with her trying to convince her best friend's also laid off husband to become a cop.

While it's true the summary makes it sound like there are about ten million things going on in Insatiable (and the Amazon one says some things that I'm pretty sure aren't revealed until later a good bit later on--or I missed them!), it's okay because it's 464 pages. And because it all works together.

The characters each have their own things going on and their own reason for being in the story; they're not just there to provide something another character needs. And a soap opera is a perfect backdrop for a vampire story if you think about it--the absurdity that's always in soaps and the suggestion of vampires to normal people being absurd if you're rational.

Meena hating vampires, being so sure they're fictional (and also kind of dumb), and also being so, so against having them on her soap made the story even more enjoyable. Really this is partially an anti-vampire book that is also the best vampire book I've read in ages.

The relationships between the characters are so real and compelling that I wanted more because I really just couldn't get enough of any of them--or this story.I think this is a series and I desperately, desperately hope it is because there are certain characters/relationships/storylines that I really just need more of--and soon.

I'm starting to think I do better with Meg Cabot's adult books than I do with her YA books (and wonder if that's true for anyone else?). I think this was her NaNoWriMo novel, too and that's just insanity to me.

It is above a YA content level--not like Jeaniene Frost's Halfway to the Grave (review on my blog) but a little more than Cabot's own Size 12 Is Not Fat (review on blog, too). If you're good with that content level I very much suggest reading it!

The hugest of thank you's to the publisher for sending this book to me because I might not have read it very soon if I hadn't gotten it in the mail and I massively adored it.

10/10
1 vote BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I'm flabbergasted that Mena did not end up with Lucien or Alaric. They both love her so much but I guess there is always a chance in the future, right? ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I'm a sucker for vampire stories, so I had a feeling I would enjoy Insatiable. Glad to say I did! This was my first Meg Cabot book. I enjoyed her characterizations and writing style very much. I was pleased to see the many references made to Bram Stoker's Dracula throughout the book. Not just when Meena takes out her copy, but the many hidden references that a reader who is unfamiliar with the Bram Stoker novel may be unaware of. If you're a fan of Meg Cabot, or a fan of vampires, definitely check this one out! ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 10, 2014 |
Originally Published On My Review Blog http://www.thebookavid.blogspot.com

In "Insatiable" by Meg Cabot, screen writer Meena Harper falls in love with the son of Dracula. If you haven't had enough of vampires and Dracula by now, you're certainly going to have enough after you've read this. Assuming you stuck with Meena until the end. I didn't.

It's very rare that I don't finish a novel. As a fan of Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries Series I thought that I could endure this, even though I am 50 shades of done with vampires. It's not like I didn't like them in the first place - on the contrary: I've probably read about 20% of all vampire novels that have been published in the last five years and I am actually not proud of that.

Meg Cabot's abomination did one good thing though - I am going to vow not to read a vampire novel in the next few months anymore, because this was so bad that I felt my brain melting. Why? Not necessarily because the premise isn't fresh but because it is so goddamn cliché and lazy. Meg Cabot can write, else she wouldn't be such a well known writer, but she managed to let her horrible plot and annoying characters completely cloud her talent. The way she introduces characters and skillfully switches between the point of views of her protagonists shows that she is by no means a beginner writer, but ... ugh. You feel me, ugh?

Meena Harper is the typical chick-lit protagonist. She's in a feud with her co-worker Shoshona, who just got promoted in her place, doesn't really have her life together and is heartbroken and disappointed because of her last failed romance. Cabot tries very hard to make this novel differ from every other paranormal chick-lit out there by making Meena not very girly and throwing a lot of "diverse" characters in. I love diversity, don't get me wrong, but if your character descriptions all start with "s/he had chocolate skin", I can't help but roll my eyes. I am so done with superficial characters, I am so done with supermodel love interest that are scarred because of a traumatic childhood experience.

I actually want to puke just thinking about her love interest Lucien, who is probably the most Gary Stu to ever Gary Stu. He's the heir of the Romanian Vampire King, he's powerful and rich and thoughtful, but oh no - he sucks blood in his free time. Hasn't been done before at all. The stupidity of all of Cabot's characters makes this even worse. Every single character that turns out to be a vampire, either lets their glow red or looks like a walking corpse but none of the retarded humans in this novel seem to notice.

"Yeah I last wore this dress in the 60s."
- "Wait, aren't you like 30, how can you have worn it back then?"
"Lol you misunderstood me."

ALL DIALOGUES ARE LIKE THIS I AM GOING TO KILL SOMEONE

This isn't even all that bothered me about this novel. Have you ever read something that was so bad that you just felt like stopping to read altogether? This novel did this to me. I completely lost all my motivation and faith in humanity while reading this. I told myself it would get better, I told myself that I just needed to get into it and then I'll enjoy it eventually. Boy, was I wrong. I read about threehundred pages of this before I gave up and I do not regret it.

The plot makes no sense, and the relationship between the characters is so insta-love-y that I just want to roll my eyes so deep into the back of my head that they get stuck. To make the whole reading experience even worse - there's a love triangle. I didn't get far enough to actually see it unfold properly, but the second I got a glimpse at what Cabot is planning, I decided to stop reading the novel.
On the onr hand we have Lucien, the dark mysterious romanian vampire prince, and then we have Alaric, the Vampire Hunter with an aggression problem that actually just needs a hug. Or to get laid, honestly this guy is really in need of some affection. Of course, both guys are instantly drawn to Meena. Meena is so special that everyone wants her. But oh no, she's not even a self-confident person, she doesn't see her own beauty! What a shame! Honestly, I have never wanted to punch a fictional character so badly. ( )
  bookavid | Nov 26, 2014 |

Meg Cabotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauer, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a miracle.

Sick of hearing about vampires? So is Meena Harper.

But her boss is making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn't believe in them.

Not that Meena isn't familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you're going to die (not that you're going to believe her. No one ever does).

But not even Meena's precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets — then makes the mistake of falling in love with — Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side... a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire-hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.

The problem is, Lucien's already dead. Maybe that's why he's the first guy Meena's ever met that she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena's always been able to see everyone else's future, she's never been able look into her own.

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future...

If she even has one.

Meena Harper, forced to write about vampires even though she doesn't believe in them, falls in love with Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side. It's a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire hunters, would prefer to see him dead for. The problem is: Lucien's already dead! And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Insatiable by Meg Cabot was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,420,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible