dismiss

The Black Prism by Brent Weeks

The Black Prism

by Brent Weeks

Series: Lightbringer (1)

When Gavin Guile--high priest and emperor, the most powerful man in the world known to all as the Prism--discovers he has a son, born in a far kingdom after the war that put him in power, he must decide how much he's willing to pay to protect a secret that could tear his world apart.
Recently added byrena40, private library, wildwily, carlypancakes, wyndlek, Yrrol, turmacar, Serrana, cybins

My review is taken from my website at fantasycomesfirst.blogspot.com

Boy do I wish I could draft superviolet. I would be the most mischievous drafter ever, tripping people left and right. That being said, I loved this book.

The characters were all very flushed out and well delivered. I had some issues with Kip at the beginning but he grew on me. I thought he would be the same lame whine ass throughout the whole book. Gavin was another one that surprised me. I really didn’t see any of the things that happened to him coming but while reading it I thought I had him figured out. All of the characters were extremely entertaining.

The magic was very unique. Drafting magic is a gift and a curse at the same time. It kept the magic system very grounded and felt like something that could really be possible. I really enjoyed it.

The world is vast and very diverse. I just really want to learn of some of the other places. I really want to learn more about the Blood Forest. Brent Weeks has done a really good job making to world somewhere you would want to visit and maybe even live. It is steeped in magic and beauty. The Chromeria must really be a sight to behold.

I recommend this book to all lovers of fantasy and I really can't wait to start the sequel. ( )
  maybe_a_wizard | May 22, 2020 |
3 3/4? Good, did much more than I thought it would, but not necessarily "great."
Characters tended to act believably, the magic (while a little cartoonish) was thought through, and it's another evolution on from modern fantasy. ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |
Very fun story. It takes while to understand the world and it's magic, and while I find it a bit over-complicated for no good reason(, it is not a deterrent to the story, which flows by quickly. (I think author tries too hard at world-building and magic system these days. Let the story be it's the masterpiece, magic doesn't have to be explained, I think) The only semi-boring part was the end battle, but that's mostly because I'm tired of books that ends with a battle. I get bored when I see pattern in books now, that's the curse of reading so much :-/

Looking forward to book 2 ( )
  kinwolf | Feb 1, 2020 |

Brent Weeks - The Black Prism: Oh man, I just can’t do the rest of this series. My brain hurts! (And it took me 8 months to finish this first one!!) #cursorybookreviews #cursoryreviews ( )
  khage | Dec 30, 2019 |
The central sin of this book is that it is so, so obviously the first in the series. Appreciating it for it's own sake is like appreciating just the appetizer before the full meal. Nice and tasty, but I'd like my steak, very much. this is especially egregious with the characters, and their interactions. I can like Kip, but not if he stays in his current from for much longer. He, like the whole book, is probably great in hindsight. We'll see. ( )
  sigma16 | Dec 5, 2019 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Kristi, Who's spent the better part of a decade proving me right
Kip crawled toward the battlefield in the darkness, the mist pressing down, blotting out sound, scattering starlight.

Orbit Books

3 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316075558, 0316068136, 0316246271

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,451,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible