Citizens of London: The Americans Who Stood…

Citizens of London: The Americans Who Stood with Britain in Its Darkest,… (2010)

by Lynne Olson

Recently added byprivate library, JanetReid, badgerbacker, mc100, elebris, amyem58, AmourFou, jjjcjames, NewsieQ

I’ve read countless books about World War II and each one has given me a new perspective on it. In Citizens of London, the Lynne Olson looks at the war by focusing on three key Americans who played roles before and after America joined in.

One of the three is Edward R. Murrow, the radio journalist who brought the war and its sounds to America more vividly than any other. In doing so, he was allied with the Brits well before American became an official ally. (The author and her husband co-authored The Murrow Boys, which detailed Murrow’s story in great detail, and which I enjoyed immensely.)

The other two men were less known to me – Averell Harriman, lend-lease administrator, and John Gilbert Winant, ambassador to Britain after Joseph Kennedy. Winant was the more appealing – and more tragic, of the two. Both of their stories, however, provided insight into the ever-changing relationship between Britain and the U.S.

Citizens of London is a great read … full of anecdotes that enrich the story and fresh insights that are enlightening. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jun 9, 2014 |

I was a citizen of London.

Honestly, Citizens of London probably deserves another star but I wasn't in the right headspace to give it. However, I do know a good book when I read one.

We all know how long it took the United States to become an active participant of World World II. Lynne Olson's emphasizes just how much leg shuffling and paper pushing it took. I was even to the point of Seriously America? and the attack on Pearl Harbor happened. The British were secretly happy not because of the lives lossed but because they knew that would be the catalyst to jumpstart the US of A's participation in their losing war.

But before Pearl Harbor, these three men, Edward Murrow, Averell Harriman, and John Gilbert Winant, were working behind the scenes to help forge an alliance between Great Britain and America. Essentially, these men along with other "citizens of London helped form the relationship between Winston Churchill and FDR.

I really enjoyed Citizens of London and I'm glad it was a book club selection. This book actually goes really well as a companion piece for the Dr. Suess book, it might be called This Means War, which were a series of political cartoons detailing the United States reluctance getting into World War II.

I thought the last chapter was heartbreaking as these three men were kind of lost after WWII. After all the hustle and bustle and booming economy of war, to slow down was so excruiciating. It left them without a true purpose and some couldn't adapt to the new world (Winant) but some could (Harriman and to the most part Murrow.)

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
Engaging, enlightening. All the ingredients. Olson expands beyond the titular subjects, resulting, for me, in a broader and even more appealing political history of WWII, centered on U.S. - Britain relations (and relationships). The wartime lives of Murrow, Harriman, and Winant, along with their diplomatic and social circles, are all interesting and provide an intimate perspective on the tenuous, yet invigorating years of London's brave front against German bombs and the real threat of continental tyranny. ( )
  JamesMScott | Dec 11, 2013 |
(Starred Review) The Anglo-American alliance in WWII was not inevitable, writes former Baltimore Sun correspondent Olson (Troublesome Young Men). In this ingenious history, she emphasizes the role of three prominent Americans living in London who helped bring it about. Best known was Edward R. Murrow, head of CBS radio's European bureau after 1937. His pioneering live broadcasts during the blitz made him a celebrity, and Olson portrays a man who worked tirelessly to win American support for Britain. Most admirable of the three was John Winant, appointed American ambassador in 1941. A true humanitarian, he skillfully helped craft the British-American alliance. And most amusing was Averell Harriman, beginning a long public service career. In 1941, FDR sent the wealthy, ambitious playboy to London to oversee Lend-Lease aid. He loved the job, but made no personal sacrifices, living a luxurious life as he hobnobbed with world leaders and carried on an affair with Churchill's daughter-in-law. Olson, an insightful historian, contrasts the idealism of Winant and Murrow with the pragmatism of Harriman. But all three men were colorful, larger-than-life figures, and Olson's absorbing narrative does them justice. 16 pages of b&w photos. (Feb.)
added by lolson4 | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 16, 2009)

The behind-the-scenes story of how the United States forged its wartime alliance with Britain, told from the perspective of three key American players in London: Edward R. Murrow, Averell Harriman, and John Gilbert Winant.

Lynne Olson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

154 wanted1 pay5 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Citizens of London by Lynne Olson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible