Dizzy in Your Eyes: Poems about Love by Pat…

Dizzy in Your Eyes: Poems about Love

by Pat Mora

53None220,262 (3.83)None

Fans of book in verse novels may enjoy this book of poetry. Throughout the book it even describes various poetry types such as list poem, letter poem, haiku and many more that I had never heard of. Some Spanish in the book that I had to skim over as I do not know Spanish but not enough to really make that much of a difference in the over all of the book. ( )
  TeamDewey | Mar 6, 2013 |
A good compilation of poetry's various forms. This book would make a great tool to teach poetry to students as it shows a lot of different types in one place. Although these are poems about love, they are done on the teen level with themes that young audiences can relate to. ( )
  ReplayGuy | Jan 19, 2012 |
4Q, 3.5P
  setharp | May 31, 2011 |
Reviewed by McKenzie Tritt for TeensReadToo.com

Everyone has experienced love, whether giving or receiving. For some it's spending time with their pet. For others, it's sitting down with a book. And for many, love involves other people.

Pat Mora has set out to create a collection of poems capturing the elements of love in its different stages: the initial excitement, the hurt and pain, the healing, and the loving again. These experiences are described through everyday people's jotting down of words, some in familiar languages, others that are foreign. Some poems follow popular methods of rhyming, while others use much less well-known forms.

Each poem, despite their differences, expresses one thing: love.

With nothing but a very basic knowledge of poetry, I still enjoyed this quick read. DIZZY IN YOUR EYES offers many takes on love, not just the expected ones. The first poem drew me in instantly with the simple lines "the letters on the screen don't match the letters I type...No matter what I do, the keys type your name." Each poem was unique, but also went with the others. I especially appreciate this collection because it could be read in one sitting or drawn out over the course of time, revisited again and again.

The thing about poetry is that, depending on the reader, it can be interpreted in many ways. While subtexts provide some guidance, the poems are left to the reader's discretion. That, I believe, is what will make DIZZY IN YOUR EYES an emotional collection for its readers. It reminds us that love is both simple and complicated, and that everyone can experience its effects. ( )
  GeniusJen | Apr 15, 2010 |
I was lucky to snag a copy of this book from Random Buzzers a few months ago. Until now i had a chance to read it and i think it was meant to be read by me now. These poems are just beautiful! While reading them i felt a smile grow upon my face, i felt goosebumps, i remembered things, and i wanted to cry.

Pat Mora has done a fantastic job writing these poems about love, the way a teenager experiences it. Whether its romantic love, friendship love, or family love. The one poem that i can't get out of my mind is the one entitled Secret- its written in the back of the book on the jacket cover. This would have to be the reason why i say it was perfect timing that i read this book now when i recieved it back in February.

Secret truly expresses how i feel at this moment. I won't get into too much detail about why :)
Any teenager or adult will definetly feel emotional inside once they read these poems! They will make you feel or remember how you once felt during a moment of your life. This was a quick read but i think everyone should have a copy of this book in their personal libraries! ( )
  Euphoria13 | Apr 3, 2010 |

Beloved children's book author and speaker Pat Mora has written an original collection of poems, each with a different teen narrator sharing unique thoughts, moments, sadness, or heart’s desire: the girl who loves swimming, plunging into the water that creates her own world; the guy who leaves flowers on the windshield of the girl he likes. Each of the teens in these 50 original poems, written using a variety of poetic forms, will be recognizable to the reader as the universal emotions, ideas, impressions, and beliefs float across the pages in these gracefully told verses.

Also included are the author’s footnotes on the various types of poetic forms used throughout to help demystify poetry and showcase its accessibility, which makes this a perfect classroom tool for teachers as well as an inspiration to readers who may wish to try their own hand at writing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:13 -0400)

"...an original collection of poems, each with a different teen narrator sharing unique thoughts, moments, sadness, or heart's desire: the girl who loves swimming, plunging into the water that creates her own world; the guy who leaves flowers on the windshield of the girl he likes. Each of the teens in these 50 original poems, written using a variety of poetic forms, will be recognizable to the reader as the universal emotions, ideas, impressions, and beliefs float across the pages in these gracefully told verses."--Amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,470,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible