Toe-Up Socks for Every Body: Adventurous…

Toe-Up Socks for Every Body: Adventurous Lace, Cables, and Colorwork from…

by Wendy D. Johnson

162None73,406 (4.46)None
@library (1) adult (1) cables (1) checked (1) crafting (1) crafts (9) digital (1) handmade (1) Hobbies (1) how-to (1) keeper (1) knitting (52) knitting patterns (1) lace (1) library (1) lnw (1) non-fiction (8) ow (1) own (2) paperback (3) patterns (3) ravelry (2) signed (1) sock knitting (3) socks (28) technique (1) to borrow (1) to-read (2) toe up (3) toe-up (2)

I loved the authors first book, Socks from the Top Up so much that I bought it for keeps. When I saw this one I quickly borrowed from the library to give it a try. I am sad to say I was not impressed. It was a lot of the same info from the first book and the patterns were not as interesting to me. It is not a "keeper" but it is a good go to book for beginner to advanced sock knitters. ( )
  SenoraG163 | Mar 17, 2013 |
Wendy D. Johnson designs beautiful socks, and to the joy of Kitchener-stitch-avoidance knitters everywhere, every pattern in this book is knit toe-up. Her lace and cable designs are very good, and I also really liked the design some of her more complex color-work patterns. The book includes two designs sized for men's socks (one cable and one argyle), and two designs sized for children (one lace, and one with a row of cute, stranded-colorwork critters at the top). The remaining 18 patterns are for women — there are 21 women's patterns in all with one pattern presented as a thigh-high and as a knee-high, and two more patterns for mid-calf socks offering a knee-high option.

Johnson includes notes at the front of each section with special instructions for each knitting style (lace, cables and colorwork), and her conversational style makes the design process feel fun and approachable. She also offers some good sock-knitting tips in the front of the book with more details on essential techniques at the end of the patterns. (It's definitely not an instructional book, though — it's a great pattern book for knitters with a little experience in sock-knitting. People who want to learn to knit socks would do better with Ann Budd's "Getting Started Knitting Socks.")

Overall, a great design book, and one I'll put on my wish list for great patterns like these:
• Lacy "rosebud socks" (on the cover)
• "Laurel socks," a leaf-and-lace combo
• "Dainty anklets," the other cover sock, which I'd be happy to give any of my nieces
• "Manly Aran socks," which I may size down for myself, in addition to giving as gifts
• "Diamonds and cables socks," a lacy twist on fisherman knits with eyelets added to the traditional diamond motif and an eye-catching thick-and-thin cable down the front
• "Sanquhar socks," a black-and-white stranded pattern based on traditional knitting from the town of Sanquhar, Scotland
• "Norwegian rose socks," another stranded knit with a striking stylized rose as the central motif on both front and back ( )
  singsastarrynight | Feb 21, 2012 |

Presents twenty-one intermediate and advanced designs for a variety of socks, sharing complementary sizing guidelines and explanations for working with a variety of needles.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible