Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin

Heart of the Matter (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Emily Giffin

When plastic surgeon Nick Russo takes the case of a six-year-old burn victim, he becomes attracted to the boy's mother, Valerie. As his relationship with Valerie grows, Nick's marriage to Tessa, a well-educated professor turned housewife, starts to fall apart.
Member:writemeg
Title:Heart of the Matter
Authors:Emily Giffin
Info:St. Martin's Press (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:audio, infidelity, family dynamics, women's fiction, marriage, love

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin (2010)

I enjoyed this on audio (probably more than if I'd read it in print) because Cynthia Nixon (Miranda on Sex & the City)does an excellent job reading it. ( )
  ljohns | Jun 15, 2020 |
What a roller coaster ride. I thought this novel was well written but it really lacked depth. I wanted to know these characters but instead of really revealing the main character's layers Giffin introduced many throw away characters, in what appears to be an attempt to cover up the lack of real development. The story seems to be about forgiveness, but I left not knowing how Tessa or Valerie could ever forgive just that somehow they did.

The writing style kind of irritated me. Tessa's chapters are in first person and Valerie's are in third. Which I guess makes sense, since Valerie is the third person in the relationship. However, it really annoyed me almost to the point that I didn't want to keep reading.

I wouldn't read it again, but if you're bored and can't find anything else to read, go for it. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
I really enjoyed "Heart of the Matter" by Emily Giffin. It was a tough story line overall, but so well written with engaging characters. I liked that she included Dex and Rachel from the "Something Borrowed" series as sub characters. I found myself rooting for both sides throughout the story and was torn with how I wanted to see it end right up to the last page. Found myself thinking about this book days after I finished. Experienced this book via Audio book - the narration really added an extra element. If you enjoy thought provoking story lines, you should pick up this book and others from this great author.
Happy Reading...enjoy! ( )
  AmyJ71 | Jun 20, 2017 |
beautifully written. Very realistic. Gave me chills…as it is so telling to so much of what I have felt and lived in a previous life. Listened on audio by Cynthia Nixon ( )
  Indygirl | Aug 5, 2016 |
Since I skimmed more than 3 full chapters, I'm going to solidly vote this my least favorite of the Giffin books.

I didn't care about Valerie. At all. I was so glad when I finished this book. Phew. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
For Sarah, my sister and lifelong friend
Whenever I hear of someone else's tragedy, I do not dwell on the accident or diagnosis, or even the initial shock waves or aftermath of grief.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Emily Giffin's book Heart of the Matter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,767,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible