Story of the Titanic by Steve Noon

Story of the Titanic (2001)

by Steve Noon, Eric Kentley

I really loved this book because it reminded me of the books I used to read as a child. Every page has amazing drawings of this beautiful and historic ship that only a few thousand people have seen once. I really like how everything is explained in detail and even labeled for young readers to be able to understand. This tells the story of the Titanic from the first idea before it was drawn to it being built and finally to when she sank. Not only does it talk about the survivors but also a few people that die that tragic night. ( )
  kstano1 | Oct 21, 2015 |
The "Story of the Titanic" is an illustrated children's book about the famous Titanic scrip wreck. I enjoyed this book because it was well illustrated and written, making it an enjoyable experience. I would most definitely use this book in my class, and it is appropriate for grades 2 and above.
  P.Vermeland | Dec 21, 2013 |
Noon, Steve (Illustrator) New York: Dorling Kindersley, 2012.

Characters: Not applicable

Setting: Not applicable

Theme: tragic historic event,

Genre: Children’s nonfiction; picturebook

Golden Quote: Not applicable

Summary: 2012 Marks the 100th Anniversary of the Titanic's Sinking! This DK classic being brought back in print tells the story of the Titanic's fateful voyage through vivid original artwork. Young readers will learn and discover how the ship was built and equipped, what kind of passengers and crew she carried, and what facilities she offered onboard. Learn how she struck an iceberg, why she sank so quickly, how many people were saved, and how many lives were lost.

Audience: Children ages 8 and up

Curriculum ties: science- marine archaeology (study clues left behind in shipwrecks); physical science- study and examine materials that preserve or deteriorate in salt water, oxidation of iron, salinity, buoyancy; biological science- sea animal and plant life living in shipwrecks; history/social science- what was life like a hundred years ago?, how did socioeconomic status play a role in where you stayed on the Titanic and why?, research reliable and relevant primary and secondary sources relating to the Titanic; language arts- create a diary or journal pretending to be one of the passengers or crew members (using primary and secondary sources); geography- map the journey of surviving passengers or crew members (from where they started to their final destination)

Awards: None

Personal response: As a child, I was completely fascinated by the “unsinkable” Titanic. Perhaps that is why I was drawn to read this book. But apart from my interest in the subject matter, I found this book to be a particularly thorough resource about the series of events leading up to its unfortunate sinking. Visually rich with a plethora of fascinating facts, beginning with her conception all way to her final moments, readers will be captivated not only by the detailed illustrations with cutaway scenes, but also by the hourly account given on each page after the ship hits the iceberg to its eventual sinking. Additionally, this book gives fascinating insight into everything about the Titanic, including the daily lives of the passengers and crew members, the role of social class and survival, as well as the most recent developments since the discovery of the wreck. I would highly recommend this book (and any reference book in the DK series) to any young reader interested in learning about topics in a various different content areas in a comprehensive and appealing format suitable for children of all ages ( )
  Angie.Patterson | Feb 23, 2013 |
Reason for Reading: I have always been fascinated with the Titanic and am participating in a Titanic Reading Challenge this year.

Just mentioning that this book is published by DK will automatically give you an impression as to what to expect. An oversized, hardcover with a plentiful profusion of illustration and upon the survivor's return photographs and contemporary items such as newspaper headlines. The book takes us on a matter of fact chronological course of events that led up to that fateful night, through the sinking and then finally through photographs of the return of the survivors, the news, the inquiries, short blurbs of some survivors and final information on Ballard's finding of the ship 1985.

Each topic is a two page spread and drawn in cutaways to show the reader the inside of the boat as she stood. The illustration is labeled all over the place, like one of those old Richard Scary word/picture illustrations. Along the top and the bottom of each page are little vignettes of something happening within the large scene and then the reader is supposed to find that little illustration in the larger picture as in a "look-and-find" book. Spending time one will find all sorts of interesting little bits of events going on in the pictures and the occasional humorous one too, like the sailor who happens to be sitting on the toilet in one picture! The pictures are awesome and the cutaways are the perfect way to explore the inside of the ship as we can see where things were situated in comparison to each other.

Though no mention of this is made in the book's copyright page this is a reprinting of an earlier title of the same name. The only difference between this book and the earlier "Story of the Titanic" illustrated by Steve Noon is that the original is a very large, oversized horizontally wide book, making for an extravagant picture book. This book is oversized but only slightly in the vertical direction and obviously it would loose it's extravagance compared to the original. Having never read, nor seen the original I was non the wiser and enjoyed this book for what I got. Kids will especially like the "search and find" interactive component of the book which will have them finding many more hidden treasures in the gorgeous paintings. Recommended mostly for 11 and under. ( )
1 vote ElizaJane | Mar 29, 2012 |
#79, 2006

My son and I finished this book this morning; it took us about an hour to read through the whole thing. It is a beautifully-illustrated book for children about the Titanic. It tells the overall story of the sinking, and also follows several passengers from start to finish (all real people; some of them survived while others didn’t). All that was fine, but nothing that can’t be found in numerous other books. What makes this one special are the illustrations. It’s a large-format hardcover book, so the illustrations of the ship are large (two-page spreads) and very detailed, with cutaways to show interior sections of the ship. This book gives the best visual representation of the ship that I’ve seen yet. A lovely book. ( )
1 vote herebedragons | Jan 15, 2007 |

Steve Noonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kentley, Ericmain authorall editionsconfirmed

This is the tragic story of the Titanic, the biggest and most luxurious ocean liner the world had ever seen, which sank on her maiden voyage in April 1912. Beautiful, double-page illustrations with amazing cross-sections and cutaway details explain the construction and mechanical details of this gigantic ship and reveal life on board for passengers and crew. Each new illustration reveals different aspects of life in the early 20th century, and the text highlights hidden details for you to spot. As you follow the pictorial story of this world-famous liner, you will discover how she was built and equipped, what kind of passengers and crew she carried, and what facilities she offered on board. You will also find out how she struck an iceberg and met with disaster, why she sank so quickly, how many people were saved, and how many lives were lost. You can compare the differences between the Titanic's passengers -- from the first-class millionaires to the third-class emigrants -- and find out how they dressed, where they ate and slept, and what they did to amuse themselves during the voyage. You can also take a closer look at some of the passengers and crew, and follow their different fates from the exciting start of the voyage to its tragic end.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:11 -0400)

Retells the story of the "unsinkable" liner from the start of its maiden voyage to its disastrous death and features twelve beautiful and unique illustrations with cutaway scenes.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,478,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible