Delicious and Suspicious by Riley Adams

Delicious and Suspicious

by Riley Adams

Murder on a Girls' Night Out by Anne George (TheLibraryhag)
    TheLibraryhag: Both have a Southern setting and older main characters.

I liked this book but I had some problems with it, mostly the number of characters and how they all related. Aunt Pat's Barbeque is the center of the story, and Aunt Pat is no longer with us - so the woman she willed it to, LuLu Taylor, is the main character. Her family consists of two sons, one daughter-in-law, two granddaughters (twins who are *very* different) and a "shirt-tail" relative who is actually the nephew of the DIL. Then you come to the regular customers of Aunt Pat's, three elderly black men who eat there daily and also play the blues. Four females who work as docents at Graceland and the owner of a local bookstore. In other words, a lot of people to get to know!

Now that I know them and know how the relationships work I'm hoping the next book will read a little easier (I admit to having a problem with books with tons of characters who all have significance to the story).

Having said that, I liked Lulu and her family, I love one of the twins (we get to know her better) and I enjoyed the mystery.

I will keep reading because I want to find out more about Lulu and her family. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was a rather gentle and enjoyable book that did a fairly good job of balancing the character story lines with the murder mystery which was probably helped by the fact that the murder ended up touching on the lives of most of the characters introduced.
The characters were a lot of fun if a bit idealized at times and I felt that the author did go a bit over the top with making the victim and main villain as unsympathetic as possible but overall I enjoyed getting to know them and ended up caring about most of them.
The restaurant of Aunt Pat’s itself was the biggest character in way and felt far more real than the city of Memphis it’s set in, in fact I didn’t really get a feel for the overall location at all, it could have been set anywhere but as I was reading that didn’t bother me or even cross my mind as the restaurant itself felt so real and vibrant and really more important that any other location, it didn’t even cross my mind till I was done that I didn’t really know where it was set.
As for the mystery it was a bit weak overall in that what brought all the suspects together at the right time and place felt a bit coincidental and the police involvement was all but nonexistent and it seemed a bit far fetched that they would have missed all that was going on but I did rather like that the main characters involvement in the investigation was more just talking to people and using what she knew of them rather than hunting down physical clues, it felt a bit more realistic as far as cozy mysteries go.
An overall fun book and I’m looking forward to the next one. ( )
  Kellswitch | Oct 2, 2011 |
Lulu Taylor produces the best BBQ at Aunt Pat's Restaurant in Memphis according to most of the customers so the Cooking Channel is checking her out to see if it's true. Rebecca Adrian is sent to Memphis to find the best BBQ but has little time for tasting when she is found dead in her hotel room - poisoned.

So while Lulu tries to clear the name of her family restaurant, she is also bombarded with problems from her friends the Graces (they visit Graceland every week) and some elderly gentlemen who make Aunt Pat's their second home.

The mystery wasn't that difficult to solve but my main issue with this book is that there were entirely too many characters so that at times I was confusing as to who went with who.

Cut the cast list and beef up the mystery (No pun intended.) ( )
  cyderry | Sep 17, 2011 |
Lulu has been running the family barbecue restaurant in Memphis for years. It is a place for good food and good friends. She likes to keep it cozy for all her regulars and the many vacationers who come to Memphis. When a haughty food critic form the Cooking Channel shows up, the entire restaurant, customers and the family are thrown for a loop. When the same critic turns up murdered by poison, that loop turns into a noose that seems determined to trap one of Lulu's friends or family. Lulu is determined to solve the crime and clear the names of all her dearly beloved.

Well, this was a super cozy cozy. I enjoyed it although all the talk of barbecue made me a bit home sick. I am pretty liberal with my southern cozies. If they seem authentic and I really love the characters, I can deal a less than stellar mystery. I have to say that the characters in this book are true southern characters. We love our odd folks, the more warts the better. And the characters are real enough to have faults and not everyone is what they seem. So where the mystery might be lacking, the local color and personal stories more than make up for it. I will be reading the next in the series. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Jul 20, 2011 |
I have been perusing a couple of maps and seeing what DH thinks about a trip to Memphis someday. After reading this book, the start of this delectable series, I hope we can go soon. We will go on our wee tour of the best BBQ joint. Would that Aunt Pat's was a real place.

Until the trip, I will happily read more of this series and dream of ribs, spicy cornbread, coleslaw, red beans and rice.....sigh.....

Lulu is an older woman, has kids, grandkids, but the reader isn't left with any kind of certain age nor of any kind of age-related issues that would keep Lulu from finding the cause of the death of producer from the Cooking Channel. She knows it just could not be her restaurant, but where or who would do this?

Besides Lulu, my favorite characters are the Graces, docents at Graceland who come in on quite a regular basis. They are good friends and confidants and each has a spectacular personality and can't wait to read more about them in future books.

Five BBQ is AWESOME beans..... ( )
  Squeex | Jun 14, 2011 |

Welcome to Aunt Pat's barbeque restaurant--family run and located in the heart of Memphis, Tennessee. Named in honor of Lulu Taylor's great aunt, the restaurant is known for its ribs and spicy corn bread, but now the Taylor family will be known for murder--unless Lulu can clear their name.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,971,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible