and Falling, Fly by Skyler White

Title: and Falling, fly
Author: Skyler White
Genre/s: Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy
Synopsis:

In a dark and seedy underground of burned-out rock stars and angels- turned-vampires, a revolutionary neuroscientist and a fallen angel must pit medicine against mythology in an attempt to erase their tortured pasts...but at what cost?

Olivia, vampire and fallen angel of desire, is hopeless...and damned. Since the fall from Eden, she has hungered for love, but fed only on desire. Dominic O'Shaughnessy is a neuroscientist plagued by impossible visions. When his research and her despair collide at L'OtelMathillide- a subterranean hell of beauty, demons, and dreams-rationalist and angel unite in a clash of desire and damnation that threatens to destroy them both.

My Thoughts:

The story of and Falling, fly revolves around Olivia, a fallen angel/vampire who only feeds on desire, and Dominic, a reborn/neuroscientist whose goal is to create a medicine for mental disorders (such as phobia, trauma, etc.) and their quest o find the reason why they exist. This book introduces the idea of vampirism as a type of trauma-inflicted mental disorder that can be cured by erasing that specific experience or memory in the brain.

I love the fusion of science, mythology and folklore. I also love the way it was written, very artistic and poetic, and the comeback are really witty, well-thought out. The only thing that I don’t understand (and I’m still contemplating about it) is how Olivia and Dominic became invisible, how their scent was gone instantly and even the smell of blood from Dominic’s neck is untraceable.

I am really confused when I’ve read that part. It’s like I don’t know what to believe anymore. Dominic disprove that Olivia and the other were real vampires with hard facts and evidences and then suddenly after having sex, she became invisible, have a transparent wings and fly up in the sky. What happened? Did I miss something here?

I finished the book still confused. Reading it was like riding a roller coaster, it has ups and downs and very wobbly but still I enjoyed the ride. ( )
  erleen | Jun 30, 2012 |
[a:Sam Chupp|11847|Sam Chupp|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1219698183p2/11847.jpg] has been after me to read this book for weeks, so as soon as I finished [b:All Clear|7519231|All Clear (All Clear, #2)|Connie Willis|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1267552735s/7519231.jpg|9735628], I started it. This book is different from anything else I've read in years. I hesitate to say it's more literary than most fantasy, because I don't like "literary" books - they're usually stuffy, dry, and presumptuous.After the first few chapters, there's no slowing down, because you're as caught up in what's happening as the characters are. I was transfixed by White's descriptions, which can make even ugliness fascinating.We are traveling into time, burning two hours for every one I endure beside this babbling, cursed child of Greece. I see them all the time, these bastard half children of stories and mortals, trapped between worlds, the genetic lineage of myth reasserting itself across the inextricable ages. Helen of Troy is born the socialite child of a partial Zeus mated to half of a swan-loving Leda, the mythic DNA in each of them dormant until they breed and damn their offspring with its expression.White's vampire mythos is like no other I've encountered. I found it far more believable than most of what's being printed over and over and over again. Another refreshing thing about the book is that there's no feeling of a set up for a series. Oddly, though, I'm now seeing the book identified as the first of a series called Harrowing, at least on GoodReads, but as far as I can tell, the second book has no characters in common with the first. Perhaps it's simply set in the same universe?In any case, I've added [b:In Dreams Begin|7850577|In Dreams Begin|Skyler White|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1269478625s/7850577.jpg|10971303] to my to-read stack, and I'll be keeping an eye on [a:Skyler White|2977214|Skyler White|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1290046039p2/2977214.jpg]. ( )
  BellaMiaow | May 29, 2012 |
colud not get into story line 5/18/10
  cbacot2 | Feb 14, 2011 |
In this underground world, vampires are not the nocturnal blood suckers we are used to, nor do they sparkle. They are fallen angels, cursed forever by their angelic parents—who were banished from the Garden of Eden—to feed on the blood of Eve’s children as vengeance. However, that sustenance can only be harvested if the donor (willing or unwilling, doesn’t matter) either fears or desires the vampire.

From page one AND FALLING, FLY is a trip down the rabbit hole. A dark, psychological rabbit hole which will leave you wondering what exactly is the reality of this phenomenal and original novel. I don’t want to spoil the mind-blowing twist at the end of the book, but even now I’m struggling to figure out which world actually happened— what was real and what was actually the projections of the characters. Speaking of the characters, Olivia and Dominic are insanely multi-faceted and their characterization is amazingly deep.

and Falling, Fly is a sensual, thought-provoking, speculative piece of prose—with delightful soupçons of steampunk—that is definitely not to be missed! ( )
  eireannoir | Aug 26, 2010 |
The angel of desire is damned.

Read Skyler White's posts on the Penguin Blog.

View our feature on Skyler White’s and Falling, Fly.

An edgy, erotic blend of fantasy and romance-from a debut author whose star is on the rise.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:00 -0400)

Neuroscientist Dominic O'Shaughnessy, tortured by impossible visions, meets up with vampire and fallen angel of desire, Olivia, at the subterranean L'Otel Mathillide in an attempt to erase their tortured pasts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,570,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible