The Grimm Legacy

The Grimm Legacy (edition 2012)

New York high school student Elizabeth gets an after-school job as a page at the "New-York Circulating Material Repository," and when she gains coveted access to its Grimm Collection of magical objects, she and the other pages are drawn into a series of frightening adventures involving mythical creatures and stolen goods.… (more)
Member:WiscassetPL
Title:The Grimm Legacy
Authors:
Info:Scholastic, Incorporated (2012), Edition: First Edition
Collections:Children

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman

Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    Into the Woods by Lyn Gardner (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both have a twist on traditional fairy tales and are fantasy adventures featuring young girls
    Cloaked by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although How To Ditch Your Fairy is set in an alternate version of our world, both of these witty, fast-paced modern-day fantasies raise the question of whether magic solves problems or just creates newer and more complicated ones.
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar feel in the style of writing and I think if one enjoyed this book they will also enjoy the Percy Jackson series.

English (88)  German (1)  All languages (89)
I love fairy tales and was thrilled when I found a copy of The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman at the book fair at school. I was drawn to the cover because it looks magical and whimsical. The tree looks like it holds a lot of secrets! Not only was there suspense and action, but I learned a lot about the Brothers Grimm along the way. I want to learn more about them and where they got their ideas from! Being a page sounds like such a blast! I already visit the library every chance I get, but now I am even more curious about what could be hiding behind some of the walls. I think Elizabeth is someone that I would be friends with because she is kind towards others and will go out of her way to help the people around her. Also, she tries to follow the rules, but is willing to take risks to solve mysteries. I think this book is great for anyone in fifth grade and up because the main characters are in high school and there is a little romance sprinkled in with the fantastical adventure. You won’t want to stop turning the pages and I bet you will be thinking about the objects you would want to borrow from the Grimm Collection. ( )
  Robinsonstef | Jul 10, 2019 |
I checked this book out from my local library.

I really enjoyed this fantastical book about a teen stumbling into the greatest part time job EVER! She gets to work in a library of things; a material repository. Some of the things she gets to assist with have a magic all their own. With contributions from fantasy and fiction, the story involves interesting characters and high adventure along with a little teen romance. I think you'll enjoy the ride. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
Dud. Right from the start the story lacks imagination. Elizabeth's mom died and now she has a step mom and two step sisters. It makes no sense to even include this nod to Cinderella, because none of these characters are seen again in the story. It sets me up for what I think is going to be a completely different story.

What the story ends up being about is a library of sorts for famous objects from literature. One of the most secretive and cherished collections is the Grimm collection. As you might expect, these objects are magical. Elizabeth takes a job with the library, not realizing they lend objects instead of books. She is an excellent worker and is soon given her own key to the Grimm room. At the same time, a mystery is unfolding. Authentic objects are being replaced by fakes and employees are going missing.

The lead up to all of this is slow. Characters are flat. Dialogue is unimpressive. Scenes are long and repetitive. It all seems to be going nowhere by the halfway point. Then, a previous character shows up as the bad guy who's doing the stealing and kidnapping. The reader doesn't even have to do any sleuthing. It's all laid out and removes any sense of intrigue. I did not care to finish the book and did so simply out of obligation. The whole thing is sloppy and amateurish.

Here's what I would have done with the plot. The items are checked out by people who resemble characters from the fairytales and they're wrecking havoc on New York. But of course, behind every good book is a good writer. Hopefully, this series improves, but I won't be finding out.

valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |
I liked it a lot though the romance part of it could have been toned down. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
As a fan of anything fairy tale related (particularly any story where fairy tales are real) and a lover of libraries, this book held much interest for me.
Sadly, it did not live up to my anticipation. The world-building, while intriguing, was a bit…off? The idea of a library full of magic items held promise, but the idea that people could “check-out” these dangerous and deadly items made little sense to me. Even more so was the idea that they let teenagers run around with these items. This seemed implausible to me and I just wasn’t able to get into the story as I’d hoped. Perhaps it could have been saved by other elements, but flat characters, trite villain, and fast-paced (albeit predictable) plot round out the narrative.
As for the romance, while a bit cliché, held nothing questionable. It was sweet, built on friendship, and had a touch of honesty and realism about it that I found refreshing. Nothing more than a bit of kissing between consenting people, and that was described using rather tame language.
Over-all, this was an average read. If you enjoy fairy tales, you may enjoy this read, but it wasn’t for me. ( )
  empress8411 | Jun 15, 2018 |

Polly Shulmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Basic, ZdenkoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Damkoehler, KatrinaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mom and Scott, with love and thanks.
Snow fell hard: big sticky flakes that got under my coat collar where the top button was missing.

Elizabeth has a new job at an unusual library, a lending library of objects, not books. In a secret room in the basement lies the Grimm Collection. That's where the librarians lock away powerful items straight out of the Brothers Grimm fairytales: seven-league boots, a table that produces a feast at the blink of an eye, and Snow White's stepmother's sinister mirror that talks in riddles.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,171,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible