The Making of the English Working Class by…

The Making of the English Working Class (1963)

by E. P. Thompson

I will fully admit that this rating is because I had an extremely difficult time following all the moving pieces; I'm not as familiar with English history as I should be, so the names that I probably should know, I didn't, and that did not help much, but Thompson shifts around so often that it's also dizzying geographically and temporally. I did love the immense number of dunks on economic historians he made, and he had some really important points for the field of labor history that I was able to recognize even as a person unfamiliar with the content. It also read much faster than I thought it would! Given the enormous size of the book, it goes by pretty quickly! ( )
  aijmiller | Jun 10, 2018 |
You know how sometimes, reading a book changes one's view of life? Perhaps, it would be more accurate to say that it alters one's perspective. Whichever, this is one of those books.

The period covered by our tale is largely from 1792 to 1832. A brief overview as to the lie of the land and how we got there prior to this time span is given and an even briefer afterword about the effects upon later history are included, but these crucial forty years are the main target. Every writer, and every reader, has their slant upon history - particularly when it contains a political aspect. E.P. Thompson makes no secret of his position but, at the same time, he tries (and, in my opinion succeeds), in steering a history based passage through a time of great upheaval. This is evidenced by the criticisms which one is able to read of the book: some complain that his left wing bias is too evident whilst others bemoan the loss of an opportunity to write the socialist position more sympathetically. What I particularly like about the work is that it ties historical events, such as the Peterloo Massacre, into a comprehensible continuum and explained why the upper classes, who apparently held all the cards, should hand power to the masses.

When I was a schoolboy, this was explained to me as a philanthropic act of a bunch of chaps who were pretty decent really (the names Cadbury, Lever and Wilberforce being predominant in the proving thereof). This generosity, whilst largely true in the case of the aforementioned, and a few others, never seemed a sufficient explanation. Were this book to be made compulsory reading for every schoolchild in the United Kingdom, a better understanding as to how we got to where we are today might accrue. It is only with this knowledge that we can look to move forward to a better future: was it not one of the great capitalists who said, " Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."?

Even if your grasp on English history is far greater than mine, I would still urge that you read this book; it will not disappoint! ( )
1 vote the.ken.petersen | Sep 7, 2014 |
The most important work of history in the English language in the twentieth century. ( )
  j_wendel_cox | Dec 8, 2011 |
In this Marxist magnum opus Thompson illustrates the making of the English working class. It may be that the period of from 1780 to 1832 for the working class will be covered more definitively some day but Thompson remains the standard account until then.
  gmicksmith | Dec 19, 2009 |
To begin with, I didn't finish the book. Nor am I a qualified person to judge it. I felt it was a little rambling and preoccupied. The criticism of how statistics were misused by other historians seems like it would be better suited to a shorter form. There were very interesting sweeping statements, which I liked and wanted to believe. But the arguments presented in support struck me as whimsical--flimsy. Maybe another day, when I know more, I can appreciate it. It is evidently a classic, so I must be missing something. ( )
  seabear | Oct 12, 2009 |

"Thompson's book has been called controversial, but perhaps only because so many have forgotten how explosive England was during the Regency and the early reign of Victoria. Without any reservation, The Making of the English Working Class is the most important study of those days since the classic work of the Hammonds."--Commentary

"Mr. Thompson's deeply human imagination and controlled passion help us to recapture the agonies, heroisms and illusions of the working class as it made itself. No one interested in the history of the English people should fail to read his book."--London Times Literary Supplement

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:57 -0400)

One of the most influential social commentaries ever written, E. P. Thompson?s approach to the history of the common people, its arguments, and its methods cemented his place as an essential twentieth-century intellectual During the formative years of the Industrial Revolution, English workers and artisans claimed a place in society that would shape the following centuries. But the capitalist elite did not form the working class?the workers shaped their own creations, developing a shared identity in the process. Despite their lack of power and the indignity forced upon them by the upper classes, the working class emerged as England?s greatest cultural and political force. Crucial to contemporary trends in all aspects of society, at the turn of the nineteenth century, these workers united into the class that we recognize all across the Western world today. E. P. Thompson?s magnum opus, The Making of the English Working Class defined early twentieth-century English social and economic history, leading many to consider him Britain?s greatest postwar historian. Its publication in 1963 was highly controversial in academia, but the work has become a seminal text on the history of the working class. It remains incredibly relevant to the social and economic issues of current times, with the Guardian saying upon the book?s fiftieth anniversary that it (3zscontinues to delight and inspire new readers.(3y.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,692,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible