Tongues of Serpents by Naomi Novik

Tongues of Serpents

by Naomi Novik

Series: Temeraire (6)

Recently added byprivate library, Lawrax, nielsnej, HeatherMOConnor, littlekitsch, jonbab1

English (74)  Dutch (1)  All languages (75)
I'm really really enjoying this series. You get used to the old fashioned language and then start to enjoy the difference. You don't usually get that type of language - tell me, pray; etc. - in fantasy. I didn't think this volume had so blatant comedy as the last volume did but that did not detract from the enjoyment of the volume. I've seen a lot of reviewers say they did not like this volume as much as previous ones. The book does drag a tiny bit and not much happens until the end of the book, but I still liked it myself. Perhaps because I listened to the book on audio? regardless, I am looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  Kassilem | Feb 10, 2015 |
Description: Naomi Novik's stunning series of novels follow the global adventures of Captain William Laurence and his fighting dragon Temeraire as they are thrown together to fight for Britain during the turbulent time of the Napoleonic Wars. Convicted of treason and stripped of rank and standing, Temeraire and Lawrence are transported to the prison colony at New South Wales. With them travel three dragon eggs destined to be handed over to second-rate officers willing to accept so remote an assignment - including one former acquaintance, Captain Rankin, whose cruelty once cost a dragon its life. They arrive at a young Australian colony in turmoil after the overthrow of the military governor, William Bligh - formerly Captain Bligh, late of HMS Bounty. Eager to escape the political quagmire, Laurence and Temeraire accept a mission to pioneer a route through the forbidding Blue Mountains and into the interior of Australia. But when one of the dragon eggs is stolen, the surveying expedition becomes a desperate race to recover it before the dragonet hatches - a race that leads to a shocking discovery and a dangerous new obstacle in the global war between Britain and France.

Thoughts: This is the most jumbled and meandering of the series so far, much less tightly plotted and seemingly thought out than any of the others. I guess I almost expected as much since it's set in the young Australian colony and, really, how much of interest could Temeraire and friends get up to in a dusty, boozy, convict town?

The overly long outback journey was barely worth the chapters and chapters devoted to it since almost nothing of real interest or consequence happens (kind of like a previous sea voyage I yawned over). The culmination of that journey was disappointing and felt cobbled together to salvage the point of all that traveling.

I would have been much happier seeing Laurence and Temeraire settled on some land and just farming for the majority of the book. At least it would have been fresh.

Oh well. There was at least one nice storyline involving a new dragon of interest and I'm hoping it continues to flesh out nicely.

Rating: 3

Liked: 3
Plot: 2.5
Characterization: 3.5
Writing: 3

https://www.librarything.com/topic/172068#4763910 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |
Okay, first, I adore this 'verse. I love the characters, the transformation of history into what it would be with dragons -- and I'm especially anticipating seeing how the Americas play out.

Tongues of Serpents is a transitional novel in the series, which, like transitional episodes of TV series, means that both a lot happens, and not much happens at all. And, of course, this is all meant to be so tiresome that Laurence throws in his proverbial hat and retires to the country. Then the next stage of the series' real plot can begin. Which is fine, if somewhat tiresome for the reader, too. It's the larger series that matters.

However, I'm always a little frustrated with Novik's writing because it's so fast-paced and action-oriented. We only really get a clear idea of how Temeraire himself feels about anything that's happening. Laurence has feelings in the moment, but we don't have much of a sense of him caring for anything beyond duty (apart from loving Temeraire fiercely). Even in the description of the settings -- we know what a character values based on what s/he notices, and it seems like most of the descriptions of setting come from Temeraire's POV, not Laurence's. I'm afraid all his attention is taken up by threats to their safety and imagining how his betters perceive him.

This is frustrating for me because I want to relate to him more, as a character, even as repressed as he usually is. Meanwhile when we met his parents and Admiral Roland, I was totally satisfied with understanding how he felt and what he valued. Maybe this is to show Laurence, at this point in his travels, is well past his ability to give a damn? He has every right to be depressed about his situation, but if that's the case, then I expect someone to notice. And no one has.

I think that's the root of my frustration, anyway. Apart from that, I loved the setting, the new people, the new dragons, and so forth. I wish Kulingile's story had more time. I'd like to see a whole book about him and Demane (and Sipho) getting educated and driving their teachers batty with their worldly experience and wealth of differing perspectives, since they aren't exactly at the Academy to be instructed by their elders, and then kicking ass and taking names on various missions.

I used the disability tag because of Kulingile's treatment when hatched...and also because of how a character initially crippled, unable to fly, and forced to be carried around on other dragons' backs, ultimately turns out to be a terribly valuable heavyweight, who isn't disabled at all. I'm biting my tongue on my critique of the "oh, but he wasn't ACTUALLY disabled at all!" trope (as if a disabled character really is only a pitiable thing to be euthanized against its will), because it pisses me off and I don't have the mental bandwidth to go there. But I do strongly wish George R.R. Martin & Lois McMaster Bujold weren't the only SFF authors I can think of who incorporate disabled characters into violent plots without magicking them "better" or dismissing their skill sets and hiding them away.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to the rest of the series. :) ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
This, sixth installment of the Temeraire novels, is in my opinion not quite as good as its predecessors. I enjoyed it, but it seems to suffer from a weaker plot line than the other books in the series. The end was a bit anticlimactic; it feels like not quite enough was resolved. In "Empire of Ivory", I found the plot more compelling, so even though there were stretches with little action, there were enough other developments and ideas to make for satisfying reading. "Tongues of Serpents" was less rich in ideas and plot, so the long stretches between action scenes dragged a bit.

This is not to say that I didn't enjoy the book; I did. However, it is not quite up to the high standard I have come to expect from the other books. ( )
  mehjg | Feb 6, 2014 |
I adore this series. Yes, it's silly at times, but overall, it's got great characters and a fun storyline. And Simon Vance narrates it spectacularly, in that lovely accent of his. My thoughts on the series as a whole are on Erin Reads. ( )
  erelsi183 | Nov 18, 2013 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Samuel Novik,
who also came over the sea to another country
There were few streets in the main port of Sydney which deserved the name, besides the one main thoroughfare, and even that bare packed dirt, lined only with a handful of small and wretched buildings that formed all the permanence of the colony.

A dazzling blend of military history, high-flying fantasy, and edge-of-your-seat adventure, Naomi Novik's Temeraire novels, set in an alternate Napoleonic era in which intelligent dragons have been harnessed as weapons of war, are more than just perennial bestsellers-they are a worldwide phenomenon. Now, in Tongues of Serpents, Naomi Novik is back, along with the dragon Temeraire and his rider and friend, Capt. Will Laurence. Convicted of treason despite their heroic defense against Napoleon's invasion of England, Temeraire and Laurence-stripped of rank and standing-have been transported to the prison colony at New South Wales in distant Australia, where, it is hoped, they cannot further corrupt the British Aerial Corps with their dangerous notions of liberty for dragons. Temeraire and Laurence carry with them three dragon eggs intended to help establish a covert in the colony and destined to be handed over to such second-rate, undesirable officers as have been willing to accept so remote an assignment-including one former acquaintance, Captain Rankin, whose cruelty once cost a dragon its life. Nor is this the greatest difficulty that confronts the exiled dragon and rider: Instead of leaving behind all the political entanglements and corruptions of the war, Laurence and Temeraire have instead sailed into a hornet's nest of fresh complications. For the colony at New South Wales has been thrown into turmoil after the overthrow of the military governor, one William Bligh-better known as Captain Bligh, late of HMS Bounty. Bligh wastes no time in attempting to enlist Temeraire and Laurence to restore him to office, while the upstart masters of the colony are equally determined that the new arrivals should not upset a balance of power precariously tipped in their favor. Eager to escape this political quagmire, Laurence and Temeraire take on a mission to find a way through the forbidding Blue Mountains and into the interior of Australia. But when one of the dragon eggs is stolen from Temeraire, the surveying expedition becomes a desperate race to recover it in time-a race that leads to a shocking discovery and a dangerous new obstacle in the global war between Britain and Napoleon.

Convicted of treason despite their heroic defense against Napoleon's invasion of England, Temeraire the dragon and his friend and rider, Capt. Will Laurence, are transported to the prison colony in Australia. They carry with them three dragon eggs intended to help establish a covert in the colony.… (more)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

352 wanted5 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Tongues of Serpents by Naomi Novik was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,237,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible