Cuestion de fe by Donna Leon

Cuestion de fe (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Donna Leon

Member:jsabater
Title:Cuestion de fe
Authors:Donna Leon
Info:Seix barral (2010), Perfect Paperback
Rating:***

A Question of Belief by Donna Leon (2010)

English (23)  Spanish (6)  German (3)  Finnish (1)  All languages (33)
Ms. Leon’s work is not the in your face thrill-a minute storyline that I am accustomed to reading bit a slow burning smoldering story that builds in intensity as the book progresses. It comes at you like neighborhood gossip caught at wisps and gestures over the garden fence, like returning for a cup of coffee to a an old and trusted friend as little by little the whole story emerges and you tell yourself ‘of course why didn’t I see it coming.’

I actually started the book before I left on vacation to England, came back and picked up the book and carried on without missing a beat. The slow moving police officers, hampered by the sweltering summer in Venice, go about their business , while looking for shade or heaven forbid actual air-conditioning while laying out two stories for our enjoyment. Inspector Brunetti aides his fellow officer with concerns he has over a charlatan of a palm reader, tarot waving soothsayer that his mother appears to paying a rather unsightly sum to and then the two of them become embroiled in what appears to be a scam in the making involving a lady judge and her bailiff.

When the inspector’s vacation is interrupted to the point of him having to change trains on the way out of town with his family to return to oversee what is the untimely murder of the afore mentioned bailiff does the storyline suddenly take on overtones of menace. The sudden lull in crime in Venice is over-ridden with blackmail, fraud and charges of indecency and Brunetti’s skills are bought to task as he ably puts our fears to rest. ( )

MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
This went much faster than many of Leon's books and also was less bleak. I missed Brunetti's interaction with his family and descriptions of their meals but other than that this was a first class Brunetti mystery. I hate that I now have to wait a whole year for the next one. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
This 19th installment of the Guido Brunetti series returns the great characters of Commissario Brunetti, Inspector Vianello, and secretary Signorina Elettra to Venice in the stifling heat of a Venice August. Guido loses out on his vacation in the Alps with his family when a diligent government worker is found dead. Was he murdered because of his job working for a corrupt judge or was he murdered because he was a homosexual?

The book is filled with twists and turns followed by an unusual resolution. ( )
  cyderry | Mar 31, 2015 |

Donna Leonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
de la Fuente, Ana MaríaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fuente, Ana María de lasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fuente, Ana María de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fuente, Ana Maria de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
L'empio crede con tal frode di nasconder l'empietà
(Cree el impío con tal falacia esconder la impiedad)
Don Giovanni

Mozart
Für Joyce DiDonato
Brunetti hielt es nur noch mit letzter Willenskraft am Schreibtisch aus, als Ispettore Vianello bei ihm eintrat.

Close associate Ispettore Vianello, who's worried about his elderly aunt's involvement with an astrologer, nudges Brunetti toward ruminations on the differences in male and female evidences of affection. Meanwhile, Toni Brusca, head of employment records at the Commune, who's perplexed by a female judge's erratic court case postponements, surprises Brunetti by implying that a woman could be more criminal than a man. Brunetti patiently untangles a sordid skein of desires warped, trusts abused, and loves distorted into depravity. As one good man who still believes in the rule of law despite his disgust at Italy's mounting corruption, Brunetti allows readers to share his belief that decency and honesty can, for a little while, stave off the angst of the modern world.

Under the stifling summer sun, Venice is flooded with tourism. Commissario Guido Brunetti is planning the perfect mountain vacation where he can catch up on his reading. However, before he can go, an old friend has him look into a court corruption case. As he probes deeper, Commissario Brunetti quickly becomes embroiled in a shocking murder case that is linked to his own investigation.… (more)

36 wanted5 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,523,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible