Cuestion de fe by Donna Leon

Cuestion de fe (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Donna Leon

570None17,334 (3.64)13
Member:jsabater
Title:Cuestion de fe
Authors:Donna Leon
Info:Seix barral (2010), Perfect Paperback
Rating:***

A Question of Belief by Donna Leon (2010)

English (17)  Spanish (5)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (25)
Not my favorite of Leon's books, but still enjoyable. Guido Brunetti is never a disappointment. ( )
  alyson | Aug 29, 2013 |
I liked the characters especially the infinitely patient Guido Brunetti who investigated the murder of a hard-working government employee. I liked the setting and descriptions of Venice Italy. I liked insights into the corrupt Italian government. But, overall the pacing was very slow to me and the plot was a bit thin so it was only a borderline read. ( )
  gaylebutz | Jul 31, 2012 |
I felt that this book really said nothing for almost 100 pages. I then realised that the author was simply setting the scene and characters up before the murder. I enjoyed the book very much. ( )
  cookiemo | Jun 27, 2012 |
Another beautifully portrayed picture of Venice (in the summer) and Venetian society, with the ongoing stories of Commisario Brunetti, his family and colleagues.
The mystery is weak, but the story is strong, and if you have been reading them as a series you will undoubtedly enjoy the updating of the stories of individual characters. (I do wonder when the children will leave home!) ( )
  CarltonC | Mar 31, 2012 |
About:
A Question of Belief is the nineteenth book in Donna Leon's series featuring a Venetian police commissioner named Guido Brunetti.
Set against the stifling Venetian heat, there are two investigations going on in this installment.

A man named Araldo Fontana has been murdered and he is suspect of being involved with a corrupt judge who delays trials for bribes. Guido was looking forward to a cool vacation in the Alps with is book loving wife Paola and their two children. He finds himself in the midst of a murder investigation instead.

Guido's sidekick is Ispettore Vianello. Vianello's aunt seems to be taken in by a corrupt psychic. Her bank account has been dwindling and she insists it is for charity. This is the second investigation.

My thoughts:
As I mentioned before, A Question of Belief is the nineteenth novel in this series. This can be read as a stand alone book.
The author sets the mood perfectly and as I read I could definitely imagine the stifling hot weather in Venice. I think I would have enjoyed this one more if I had read a few of the others books first and gotten a better feel for the characters. The story did start off a bit slow for me, but it picked up toward the middle, once the murder occurred and the investigation really took off. Author Donna Leon added a twist that I hadn't seen coming and the ending was not what I expected. I don't include spoilers in my reviews, so I'll leave it at that.

Guido and his family were my favorites in this story. I especially liked Paola's literary references. Guido actually takes time out of his busy day to come home and sit down to lunch with his family. I found that a nice touch.
Overall, a nice, quick dose of mystery set in Venice with some memorable characters.

The first in this series is called Death at La Fenice and was published in 1992. I'll have to be on the lookout for other Guido Brunetti mysteries.

read my full review here
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/2011/08/question-of-belief.html ( )
  bookworm_naida | Aug 8, 2011 |
L'empio crede con tal frode di nasconder l'empietà
(Cree el impío con tal falacia esconder la impiedad)
Don Giovanni

Mozart
Cuando el ispettore Vianello entró en el despacho, Brunetti casi había consumido la fuerza de voluntad que lo mantenía sentado ante su mesa.

Close associate Ispettore Vianello, who's worried about his elderly aunt's involvement with an astrologer, nudges Brunetti toward ruminations on the differences in male and female evidences of affection. Meanwhile, Toni Brusca, head of employment records at the Commune, who's perplexed by a female judge's erratic court case postponements, surprises Brunetti by implying that a woman could be more criminal than a man. Brunetti patiently untangles a sordid skein of desires warped, trusts abused, and loves distorted into depravity. As one good man who still believes in the rule of law despite his disgust at Italy's mounting corruption, Brunetti allows readers to share his belief that decency and honesty can, for a little while, stave off the angst of the modern world.

Under the stifling summer sun, Venice is flooded with tourism. Commissario Guido Brunetti is planning the perfect mountain vacation where he can catch up on his reading. However, before he can go, an old friend has him look into a court corruption case. As he probes deeper, Commissario Brunetti quickly becomes embroiled in a shocking murder case that is linked to his own investigation.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,479,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible