Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems…

Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems (Workbench Series)

by Tony Candela

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did not read Vol. 1 but if you have basic DIY skills you can definitely pick up with Vol. 2. I had no issues following the book and it would work well for basic level DIY. The book uses diagrams along with text explanation well. The book is not an overall/general DIY because it does give specific projects but you can use the specific project descriptions for other similar projects. Overall pretty easy to follow, which is the most important part of books like this. ( )
  Katherine87 | Jul 7, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you're a the type of person that likes to tinker on their car but you're not very experienced with the electrical aspect of things, this book is for you. This volume outlines several projects that someone might want to perform on their vehicle and gives clear, step by step instructions for how to do them. Even with minimal experience with automotive wiring, I will have no problem following the guidance in this book.

These are specific projects with detailed instructions, so if you're looking for a more generic guide on automotive wiring this isn't going to satisfy you, the first book in this series by the same author covers that subject and together the pair would make an excellent reference for the home mechanic. ( )
  Sougent | Jun 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First, full disclosure: I received a free copy of this Early Reviewer book by mistake. I was browsing the LT list of available books on my smart phone and must have accidentally hit the "request it" button. The change to "requested" status really doesn't show up on that small screen. I love classic cars, but I know nothing about automotive wiring; the fact that this is Vol. 2 places me at a further disadvantage, as it assumes either having read Vol. 1 or having some knowledge of the subject.

Nonetheless, I've given the book a good looking-over (it's not the sort of thing you read cover-to-cover like a novel) and I am reasonably impressed. The writing seems clear and concise: there are step-by-step instructions accompanied by clear photos of each step. There are also schematics (wiring diagrams), and the author includes a handy key to the standard symbols used in schematics.

The author begins with a note on safety, which I appreciate. He is very clear about what the book is and what it isn't. It's designed more for the person working on classic cars (pre-onboard-computer-era) rather than for those working on modern vehicles. He says it up-front at the start, that working on the more computerized cars requires a lot of specialized equipment and know-how that the average person just will not have. However, to work on those older, classic models, these are projects that can be done in a typical garage. He brings that point home by using photos of the work all taken in his and his friends' garages, not the more professional installations that he has had access to.

This is a step-by-step guide to doing specific wiring projects. The chapters are: Adding a Basic Circuit to Any Hot Rod; Performance Lighting; Performance Guages; Electric Fans; High-Performance Charging Systems; and Aftermarket Wiring Harness. There's also a Source Guide for the comapnies whose parts and components are used in the projects.

There is at least one project where he does not have a key component for the project at the time of writing. At first this struck me as odd, but I imagine it is useful how he shows the way to prepare and work around that while waiting for a component to arrive. One project also is designed to facilitate a later planned upgrade. He also discusses finding problems which drain voltage, things that may not be obvious unless one is looking at the overall electrical system. I would think this is all useful knowledge for the classic car buff who is alway upgrading his or her favorite vehicle.

The author does tend to recommend specific products for use. This may be handy for those who want clear easy-to-follow instruction, but may irk those who prefer other brands.
4 vote tymfos | Jun 13, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book takes off where installation manuals leave off. With it's easy to understand language, photos and diagrams, a customizer will be able to complete all the projects. ( )
  sfbaker | Jun 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Good book on wiring. This is better than using a shop manual for wiring, because the shop manual just shows the factory wiring guide. This book is for more the customizer. It now only shows how but also tells why you would do thing a certain way. Great book for the hot rodder, or just for someone who wants to improve on the factory wiring in their classic or custom car.
  unagog | Jun 8, 2015 |

New book takes the mystery out of electrical systems.Road & motor vehicles: general interest.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems Vol. 2: Projects by Tony Candela was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,929,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible