Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale by…

Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale (edition 2011)

by Carolyn Turgeon

Member:Allizabeth
Title:Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale
Authors:Carolyn Turgeon
Info:Broadway (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***1/2

Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale by Carolyn Turgeon

This is a really great grown up version of the Little Mermaid. It goes back and forth between the princess and the mermaid. About half way through the book I was really worried that it wouldn't end well but it all worked out which made me happy. Recommended to anyone who enjoys fairy-tales. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Sep 20, 2016 |
This had so much potential. And then it all went haywire.
So many loose ends, such little connection to the material. It was just a disappointment. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Should you be considering reading this, be advised that it's much closer to Hans Christian Andersen's short story than it is to the Disney movie. But unlike both the short story and the movie, Mermaid is a book for adults. The princess, who only shows up in Andersen's story long enough to be an obstacle, gets equal time with the mermaid, and the novel alternates between their points of view. I liked how Turgeon expanded the world of the original story, giving a context for why Princess Margrethe is at a convent, hinting at why the spell that makes Lenia human hurts so much, and exploring how the worlds of humans and merfolk split from each other. Unfortunately, just like in the original story, everyone falls in love unbelievably quickly. I know, I know—this is a fairy tale, and true love at first sight is a convention of the genre, but since it's also a novel with time to develop the characters, I was hoping for more. Still, I enjoyed this book and would like to read more of Turgeon's work. ( )
  Silvernfire | Mar 13, 2016 |
About a third of the way in, I found myself hoping that the emotional heart of this story would be between the mermaid and the princess (rather than between either of them and the prince), but I figured that was just wishful thinking. Imagine my (delighted) surprise when I got to the end! ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
Overall it was an ok book, but that's about it. Just ok. What really drops it from a 3 to a 2 is the unsatisfying ending. The ending itself was ok, but there was a lack of connection for me. I just felt like I got to the end and wasn't happy with the wrap-up. More emotion, more . . . something. It was just lacking there. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
For my parents and sister.
Scarcely had she entered the river than she was cleansed, / gleaming once more like a white stone in the rain, / and without a backward look, she swam once more, / swam toward nothingness, swam to her dying. -- Pablo Neruda
It was a gloomy, overcast day, like all days were, when the princess first saw them. The two of them, who would change her life.

In Turgeon's surprisingly dark retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid, two women pine for the affections of a prince: mermaid Lenia, who pulls Prince Christopher from the sea, and Margrethe, the princess of the rival kingdom, who witnesses the rescue from the convent where she hides from the war raging between their two kingdoms. Lenia, who falls instantly in love with the prince, sacrifices the sea, her voice, and her health to be with him on dry land. Meanwhile, Margrethe believes that marrying the prince would unite their kingdoms, but when she arrives to arrange it, she finds him already enraptured with Lenia. While he remains unaware that the girl he loves is also the mermaid who saved him, Margrethe recognizes her rival immediately and puts into motion a plan to send the ailing mermaid back to the sea and save her own ravaged kingdom. Turgeon has done a superb job of creating compelling characters and conflict from a story already familiar to readers.

Princess Margrethe has been hidden away while her kingdom is at war. One gloomy, windswept morning, as she stands in a convent garden overlooking the icy sea, she witnesses a miracle: a glittering mermaid emerging from the waves, a nearly drowned man in her arms. By the time Margrethe reaches the shore, the mermaid has disappeared in to the sea. As Margrethe nurses the handsome stranger back to health, she learns that not only is he a prince, he is also the son of her father's greatest rival. Sure that the mermaid brought this man to her for a reason, Margrethe devises a plan to bring peace to her kingdom. Meanwhile, the mermaid princess Lenia longs to return to the human man she carried to safety. She is willing to trade her home, her voice, and even her health for legs and a chance to win his heart.--From back cover.… (more)

Carolyn Turgeon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

121 wanted2 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,159,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible