Driftwood Lane by Denise Hunter

Driftwood Lane

by Denise Hunter

This was a feel good story and a heart warming romance. You know how it is going to end when you start reading it, but it is just enjoyable watching how it all comes about. You have Meridith Ward, who has a well ordered life, and who finds herself becoming guardians of 3 children she has never met. She must leave her well ordered life and travel to Nantucket to care for the children and try to care for the Bed and Breakfast their parents owned. Enter Jake, the children's uncle, who becomes the handyman who helps keep the Bed and Breakfast from falling apart, and who keeps his real identity a secret from Meridith. Meridith will have to learn to trust God with her fears and trust Jake with her heart.

A good summer read as you find yourself on Nantucket Island, enjoying walks along the beach, but also enjoying each of the characters in this story. It was fun to watch this mismatched family unit learn to like, then love one another. This is part of a series listed as; four women, four love stories, one island, escape to Nantucket, I enjoyed each story and felt they could all be read as a stand alone stories. If you want to get away and escape for the day, then grab "Driftwood Lane" and enjoy a relaxing and entertaining love story that will leave you refreshed and relaxed as you travel to Nantucket Island. ( )
  judyg54 | Sep 3, 2014 |
Driftwood Lane by Denise Hunter
After having just read a few other books by Denise when I saw she had one of the Nantucket series available via my local library I ordered it.
Meridith Ward's father had remarried and had 2 boys and another girl that lived on Nantucket Island running a B&B. When she got the call that they had died and left her the inn and the kids she traveled to lend a hand til the uncle who the kids were close to had returned from his trip.
She, technically is the oldest of all the father's kids.
She has many plans for the B&B to spruce it up, sell it and move them all back to MI.
The story also follows Eva's brother, Jake and he's on vacation helping in the south with habitat for humanity. Once he learns of the accident he goes back to the island and tells the kids not to tell her that uncle J. is back in town, he wants to snoop so he can take evidence to the authorities and gain custody of the kids himself.
Love the setting and hearing of the architecture of the buildings on the island and hearing of the sea and decorations with shells.
She was a safety inspector and after her week off they had to let her go because she had no idea when she'd return to the state. Her fiance Stephen was also there...
She knows she must keep her distance from Jake since he's own the bid to fix up the B&B. Jake remembers his sister saying something about bipolar disease ran in the family and wonders if Meridith could have it...
Love hearing of the driftwood sculptures and anybody that works with their hands.
The scene where the child asks her about heaven is good and it reassures him that God is with their parents in heaven.
Face your fears and trust in God... ( )
  jbarr5 | Mar 10, 2013 |
We all know how one phone call out of the blue can change our lives. Meridith Ward received that call one day while she was at work inspecting a resturant. The call telling her that her estranged father and step-mother were killed and she was the guardian of 3 siblings that she never laid eyes on and had a Bed & Breakfast to take care of!This was an enjoyable, fast paced read. I love the charactor of Meridith and her willingness to drop everything and rush to Nantucket to take care of the kids until their uncle returns, or so she thinks. Meridith is a take charge woman and I felt she was much older than her 25 years. Uncle J or Jake as Meridith knows him is a funny, loveable guy. He's a bachelor who loves nothing more than riding his motorcycle. I loved the interaction between him and the kids, it was very touching. The scenes with Jake and Meridith were funny, touching, sad and explosive at times. Though Driftwood Lane is labeled as Christian fiction I did not find it preachy or in your face as I have found other books of this genre.I would recommend Driftwood Lane to anyone who needs a take me away book for the beach or a rainy weekend. It's nice at times to get lost in something that is not too deep. ( )
  SenoraG163 | Sep 10, 2011 |
Earlier this week the latest and last addition from the Nantucket series from author Denise Hunter was released from Thomas Nelson. Although this is not the first time that I have heard of Denise, this is the first opportunity I have had to read one of her novels and the first thing that I can say is that I'm sorry that I have waited so long. Through out the chapters of the story I was introduced to real characters placed in a very plausible but difficult situation in life. This novel took something rough and turned it into a beautiful seaside romance. Each page was filled with the spray of the sandy shore waves and the bark of the newly inherited dog. I could hear the sawing of wood and hammering of nails and feel the stress and questionings stares with thoughts of tomorrow in the character's lives. I'm delighted to have been introduced to Denise's writing and plan on gathering more of her books in the future.

Driftwood Lane is book four in the Nantucket Love Story Series, but in my experience not having read the first three I can truly say this novel stands alone and only brings forth a desire to go out and buy the first three.

*Thanks to Thomas Nelson and Jeane Wynn of Wynn Wynn Media for providing a copy for review.* ( )
  cherryblossommj | Sep 7, 2010 |
I loved how the author made a compelling case for her heroine's fear. Growing up with a mentally ill mother and a father who essentially abandoned her was a key part of the need she had to control everything about her life. The cool thing about true love is the out of control feeling it gives. You love it and it scares you at the same time. This was so well illustrated. You crave what you need and want to run screaming at the same time. Ms. Hunter really laid a solid foundation for these characters and continually put the heroine in situations where she had to let the hero get one step closer. The necessary blowout for any good romance novel was also well done. ( )
  MichelleSutton | Aug 24, 2010 |

After her estranged father dies and leaves her in custody of three siblings she's never met, Meridith travels to Nantucket to care for them and becomes attracted to the handyman of her father's bed-and-breakfast. Can she trust God with the details and relish the adventure?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible