Malleus Maleficarum by Heinrich Institoris

Malleus Maleficarum (1487)

by Heinrich Institoris, Jakob Sprenger

1,120117,372 (3.48)19

English (8)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (11)
LMFAO No, but seriously, how the hell does someone come up with such whacked-out ideas and believe them to be reality? I seriously would like to know what drugs they were on when they wrote this. Now I understand some of the dumbest superstitions about witches that we still see pop up in movies and TV today (like how witches can't cry). Good grief.
What really makes me sad, is the fact that this book was used as the textbook for How to Kill Strong Women (especially midwives) 101. The witch hunting trade was BIG business in it's time and people got rich off pointing their fingers to have innocent people tortured and murdered so they could divvy up their possessions. And this stupid book with it's insane ideas helped them all do it. It's a low point in history that we see being repeated over and over. So very sad.
Despite hating this book, the authors, it's users and everything this book stood for... I would still recommend anyone interested in the subject to give it a read. It is a piece of our human history and a testament as to just how low we can go. Even though the content of this book is so horrible it's one of the most infamous books in all of history, I feel better now for having actually read it and knowing for myself exactly what's written in it. But it is pretty hard core. READER BEWARE! ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Nov 12, 2017 |
Certainly in the running (in retrospect) as one of the most evil books of all time. The Hammer of the Witches is a VERY serious treatise on the Catholic legal view of witchcraft; what it is, how to identify perpetrators, and how witches should be punished. A legal guide book on procedures, as well a statement as to how serious the crime of witchcraft truly is. For scholars of Europe through the 15th-18th centuries. And useful for those who think our current legal system is terribly flawed; the Malleus is a record of how the law used to be practiced. ( )
  BruceCoulson | Apr 4, 2014 |
Fascinating review to come this weekend. ( )
  cjyurkanin | May 22, 2013 |
The "Hammer of Witches". The instruction manual for how to detect witches. Originally published in 1489, this book is now only worthy for historical interest. The typeface is old and the reproduction is not always great. Still very interesting reading. ( )
2 vote Borg-mx5 | Mar 11, 2010 |

Jerouschek, GünterEditor / translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Summers, MontagueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tschacher, WernerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheatley, DennisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Was sich bei der Zauberei zusammenfindet, der Teufel, der Hexer oder die Hexe, die göttliche Zulassung.
[These entries refer to the Summers translation, not the Mackay edition and tr5anslation]
Introduction to 1948 Edition
It has been observed that "it is quite impossible to appreciate and understand the true and inner lives of men and women in Elizabethan and Stuart England, in the France of Louis XIII and during the long reign of his son and successor, in Italy of the Renaissance and the Catholic Reaction — to name but three European countries and a few definite periods — unless we have some realization of the part Witchcraft played in those ages amid the affairs of these Kingdoms. All classes were affected and concerned from Pope to peasant, from Queen to cottage girl."

Witchcraft was inextricably mixed with politics.
Introduction to 1928 Edition
It has been recognized even from the very earliest times, during the first gropings towards the essential conveniences of social decency and social order, that witchcraft is an evil thing, an enemy to light, an ally of the powers of darkness, disruption, and decay. Sometimes, no doubt, primitive communities were obliged to tolerate the witch and her works owing to fear; in other words, witchcraft was a kind of blackmail; but directly Cities were able to co-ordiante, and it became possible for Society to protect itself, precautions were taken and safeguards were instituted against this curse, this bane whose object seemed to blight all that was fair, all that was just and good, all that was well-appointed and honourable, in a word, whose aim proved to set up on high the red standard of revolution; to overwhelm religion, existing order, and the comeliness of life in a abyss of anarchy, nihilism, and despair. In his great treatise De Ciuitate Dei S. Augustine set forth the theory, or rather the living fact, of the two Cities, the City of God, and the opposing stronghold of all that is not for God, that is to say, of all that is against Him.
The Bull of Innocent VIII
Innocent, Bishop, Servant of the servants of God, for an eternal remembrance.
Desiring with the most heartfelt anxiety, even as Our Apostleship requires, that the Catholic Faith should especially in this Our day increase and flourish everywhere, ant that all heretical depravity should be driven far from the frontiers and bournes of the Faithful, We very gladly proclaim and even restate those particular means and methods whereby Our pious desire may obtain its wished effect, since when all errors are uprooted by Our diligent avocations as by the hoe of a provident husbandman, a zeal for, and the regular observance of, Our holy Faith will be all the more strongly impressed upon the hearts of the faithful.
Malleus Maleficarum
The First Part Treating of the Three Necessary Concomitants of Witchcraft, Which are the Devil, a Witch, and the Permission of Almighty God
Part I
Question I
Here beginneth auspicioulsy the first part of this work. Question the First.

Whether the belief that there are such beings as witches is so essential a part of the Catholic faith that obstinately to maintain the opposite opinion manifestly savours of heresy.
This is for any modern language translation of the "Malleus". Please don't combine with the dead language editions. Do not confuse the Mackay edition and translation with any of the editions of the Montague Summers translation.

Full text of most important witchhunter's "bible," used by both Catholics and Protestants. First published in 1486, the book includes everything known at the time about cults, illicit sex, dealings with the devil, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:43 -0400)

"Mia Montrose, archaeological linguist, has discovered that the Black Madonna is a code used by secret societies throughout time for the lost key to an ancient power source: the Sphere of Amenti. Kali, inter-dimensional Queen of the Anunnaki -now fully merged with the youngest Dragon Queen, Tamar Devere - has less than a year to rehabilitate her Fallen kindred who desire inter-galactic domination. Ashlee Granville-Devere, and the Dragon Queens must pool their talents to open the twelve Stations of the Signet Grid and unlock the Halls of Amenti lest the Fallen succeed in using time-travel technologies to destroy humanity. From the ancient past to the distant future, from Montsg ur to the way-stations of the universe, from the Underworld of the Kali Rift to the Otherworld of the Ranna Time Flow - the inter-time war must be won for the sake of the future."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,235,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible