dismiss

Feed

by Mira Grant

Series: Newsflesh (1)

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Nor, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will come out, even if it kills them.… (more)
    World War Z by Max Brooks (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Walking Dead, Volume 06: This Sorrowful Life by Robert Kirkman (andreablythe)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 2nd book in the Newsflesh series
    How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Fed by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Book 1.5 for this series.
    When Will You Rise: Stories to End the World by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Tie-in for this series.
    The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    The Last Stand of the California Browncoats by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    Countdown by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (HenriMoreaux)
    Allison Hewitt Is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (ann.elizabeth)
    ann.elizabeth: Another fierce female blogging the zombie apocalypse.
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh trilogy!
    Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield (SimonW11)
    SimonW11: a zombie apocalpse better written than most
    Thunder and Ashes by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Beyond Exile by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (trav)

English (237)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (239)
A few redeeming features but mostly West Wing meets The Walking Dead and not in a good way. Riddled with cliché, caricature, and some truly insufferable characters. Decent attempt at worldbuilding but it never really grips you or feels entirely real.

And in terms of plausibility, boy, don't get me started on the very conceit of a decent Republican somehow existing by the year 2040, zombie uprising be damned. ( )
  goliathonline | Jul 7, 2020 |
Re-Read

I fell hard for this book the first time I read it and its sisters, confirming in my mind just how much I love Mira Grant -- or rather, Seannan McGuire. But at the time, this was my first taste of the author.

I admit I cried. I thought I just loved it for the light and often funny tone, the great setup for a post-zombie-apocalypse, loving to death the medical basis, the hella great worldbuilding, and especially the main characters. Georgia. Shaun. Buffy. They all snuck in under my skin. Slowly. Surely.

And to ride along a campaign trail for a presidential hopeful? Get embroiled in some really nasty politics along the way, ZOMBIE style?

I was like... bbbbrrrrraaaaaaaaiiiiiinnnnssss? GIMMIE MORE.

Hella smart, hella swift, and hella emotional. After all the OTHER zombie books I had read before, I was perfectly happy to put this near the very top of the list.

Since then, I've read a number of equally great zombie novels, but this hasn't slipped all that much on re-read.

For sheer enjoyment value and emotional shock, it's still at the very top. Sorry, World War Z. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Wow! I never thought I would love a zombie book! Well written, and one comes to know and love the characters. I laughed, I cried, I wanted to read more... ( )
  mirihawk | May 21, 2020 |
I've been putting off reviewing this because I loved it on my first read, years ago, and now I've come back and I'm disappointed. And that makes me sad.

(I've also finished the trilogy in this time so my review of this book is also haunted by my thoughts on the next two. Not helpful.)

Of the three books that make up this trilogy, Feed is the best. The problems that plague the next two aren't present, or haven't yet become too grating. And if there seem to be plot holes... well. You can still hold out hope that the remaining books with fill them.

The things I still liked: the fact that this was not so much about the zombies as it was about society and politics. Some of the snark. Young people doing cool shit. Conspiracies.

What I didn't like: The snark can be overwhelming - not everyone has a snappy one-liner ready at all occasions. The repetitiveness - I can understanding emphasising just how many blood tests are required in this society, but using the same language time and time again is lazy and irritating. The weird disconnect between "everyone stopped trusting traditional media and turned to bloggers during the Rising" and "bloggers are stll outsiders and not to be trusted and this is the first time they've covered a presidential campaign".

I'm still going to give it four stars. But maybe it should have been allowed to live on in my poor memory, a better version than the reality. ( )
  a-shelf-apart | May 4, 2020 |
Really engaging and well thought out. Normally I don't even like zombie media but this had me hooked ( )
  hatingongodot | May 3, 2020 |
Set more than two decades after an uprising of the living dead, Feed uses meticulous world-building to shape a narrative that’s believable, thrilling, and instantly clear.
added by Aerrin99 | editA.V. Club, Zack Handlen (May 13, 2010)

Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what's true and what's reported.
added by Aerrin99 | editPublisher's Weekly

Panepinto, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Folio SF (498)
This book is gratefully dedicated to Gian-Paulo Musumeci and Michael Ellis.

They each asked me a question.

This is the answer.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.
Wir haben den Krebs besiegt und den Schnupfen ausgerottet. Aber dabei haben wir etwas Grauenhaftes erschaffen, das nicht aufzuhalten ist: ein Virus, das die Toten wiederauferstehen lässt.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,943,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible