Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Mira Grant

Member:JechtShot
Title:Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1)
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks, 2013 Challenge
Rating:***
Tags:Horror, Fiction

Feed by Mira Grant

Recently added byprivate library, pfflyernc, sweetpea87, shantedze, ssimon2000
2011 (14) 2012 (11) apocalypse (15) bloggers (13) blogging (30) dystopia (33) dystopian (15) ebook (45) fantasy (25) fiction (132) horror (147) journalism (30) Kindle (29) Newsflesh (17) Newsflesh trilogy (12) politics (35) post-apocalyptic (66) read (21) read in 2010 (12) read in 2011 (20) science fiction (154) series (22) sf (24) sff (11) thriller (12) to-read (135) urban fantasy (13) wishlist (12) young adult (20) zombies (257)
    World War Z by Max Brooks (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (andreablythe)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 2nd book in the Newsflesh series
    Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (justrumbelledearie)
    justrumbelledearie: Another fierce female blogging the zombie apocalypse.
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (trav)
    Thunder and Ashes by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile (Book 2) by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (HenriMoreaux)
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh trilogy!
    Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield (SimonW11)
    SimonW11: a zombie apocalpse better written than most
    Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For interpretations across a similarity of title.

English (153)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (154)
Best postapocalyptic zombie thriller/horror novel I ever read! Interesting ending too. And lots of action. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
Excellent book. Very sad ending. Books with sad endings should have a warning in big bold letters, dammit. ( )
  AshuritaLove | May 20, 2014 |
Usually I'm not one for Zombies. I don't like gore, I don't like horror but I LOVED this book! It's the first in Mira Grant's amazing series about a pair of sibling bloggers who report the news and keep the remaining percentage of humanity updated on the Zombie infested world they have been struggling to survive in since 2014.

The book is set twenty years after 'The Rising' and follows a suspense filled and thrilling journey as the two are chosen to follow and report on the campaign of one of the presidential candidates. It's all going well and their rating are rising, but then the dead begin to rise too. Their group is attacked by a pack of the infected and things seem to go downhill from there. The main character, Georgia (George) and Shaun Mason must stay alive to uncover the truth behind the story only they have the natural paranoia and conspiracy radars to dig up. There is death, betrayal and some tear inducing moments but I like the way Mira has managed to write such an amazing politically twisted dystopia book without making her reading want to throw up from over dramatic gore and blood shed.

That's not to say there isn't some bullet-to-brain action going on ;) Spoilers!

My rating for this book is a confident 5 stars. It kept me interested, made me laugh and forced me to keep reading even when part of me didn't want to read what I knew had to be coming. If you're a fan of poking Zombies with sticks and following the antics of two reporters who risk their lives for the truth, then this is the book (series) for you.

Happy reading :) ( )
  Onyx_Jinx | Apr 10, 2014 |
When my library reserve for this book became available, I wasn't really in the mood for horror and almost didn't read it. I'm really glad I did though, because although it's a zombie novel, it doesn't fall into the horror genre at all. Instead of a bonkers, anything-goes, post-apocalyptic setting straight out of The Walking Dead, Feed portrays a world closer to our own. The author considers how all facets of our society would change if zombies were a constant threat. How would it change our approach to news, socializing, medicine, politics, pet ownership, food, funerals, etc? She approaches the question of how the zombies were created in the first place with much more scientific detail than most zombie stories do, too. I really loved the world she built and the thought she put into it.

My main complaint is that I wasn't a huge fan of the author's writing style. Its tone felt like many of the Young Adult books I've read, and as such I had to keep reminding myself that the main characters were adults in their 20s rather than teens. The dialogue was campy and overwritten at times, and the characters are often "grinning" or "whooping" or otherwise just being loud. Because of that, I was a little surprised that it was nominated for a Hugo, but I suspect that everything I mentioned enjoying about the plot was behind that. ( )
  BrookeAshley | Apr 5, 2014 |
Set more than two decades after an uprising of the living dead, Feed uses meticulous world-building to shape a narrative that’s believable, thrilling, and instantly clear.
added by Aerrin99 | editA.V. Club, Zack Handlen (May 13, 2010)

Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what's true and what's reported.
added by Aerrin99 | editPublisher's Weekly

Mira Grantprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Gian-Paulo Musumeci and Michael Ellis.

They each asked me a question.

This is the answer.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316081051, Mass Market Paperback)

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:49 -0400)

"The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we had created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives--the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will [come] out, even if it kills them."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,525,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible