Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Mira Grant

Member:JechtShot
Title:Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1)
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks, 2013 Challenge
Rating:***
Tags:Horror, Fiction

Feed by Mira Grant

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (andreablythe)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 2nd book in the Newsflesh series
    Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (justrumbelledearie)
    justrumbelledearie: Another fierce female blogging the zombie apocalypse.
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (trav)
    Thunder and Ashes by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile (Book 2) by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (HenriMoreaux)
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh trilogy!
    Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield (SimonW11)
    SimonW11: a zombie apocalpse better written than most
    Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For interpretations across a similarity of title.

English (155)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (156)
So, I was fully prepared to hate this book. When the book group voted it in, I admit it, I whined. I was embarrassed when people saw me reading it, felt I had to explain why I had a Zombie Book (As an aside, what does that say about me? Food for thought....). I blamed it on the book group.

But here's the thing - I enjoyed this book. It was fun. I enjoyed the voice of George, the main narrator. Shaun is also intriguing. And, I really liked the sibling relationship. Actually a bit ideal, but I could see the growth of this kind of relationship, especially given their parents (holy cow... what parents....).

I enjoyed (I fear!) the world of this novel, and I felt like the question of what would happen in a world where everyone rose up - and was wholly dangerous - after death... I felt like this question was satisfactorily explored. At least enough for me.

The plot was not predictable, and I was surprised by several turns of events. I liked the concept of Newsies/Irwins/Fictionals. The description of what happened to mainstream media does NOT seem out of hand (but the treatment of mainstream media in this novel plays right into my personal biases about 24/7 TV, anyway, so we have that...)

A few scenes impacted me emotionally. So while it's not my general fare, I feel like this was a good read that I enjoyed. I won't read the sequel (this book ends things enough to stand alone), though I probably could and enjoy it just fine.

So, I blame it on the book group. Thank, book group! You exposed me to a book that I otherwise would have completely ignored. There are ideas in Feed that I expect I'll be mulling over for some time. ( )
  ThePortPorts | Aug 22, 2014 |
This was a really good book! I never thought I liked zombie stuff, but this year I've gotten really into The Walking Dead and this book. The neat thing about this book is that, like in The Walking Dead, zombies aren't front and center. The book isn't about killing as many zombies as possible, or anything like that, it's about learning to live in a significantly different world with new dangers. It's about the characters, and journalistic integrity, and politics, and how people deal with tragedy. It's really an excellent book and I look forward to reading the next one! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Best postapocalyptic zombie thriller/horror novel I ever read! Interesting ending too. And lots of action. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
Excellent book. Very sad ending. Books with sad endings should have a warning in big bold letters, dammit. ( )
  AshuritaLove | May 20, 2014 |
Set more than two decades after an uprising of the living dead, Feed uses meticulous world-building to shape a narrative that’s believable, thrilling, and instantly clear.
added by Aerrin99 | editA.V. Club, Zack Handlen (May 13, 2010)

Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what's true and what's reported.
added by Aerrin99 | editPublisher's Weekly

Mira Grantprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Gian-Paulo Musumeci and Michael Ellis.

They each asked me a question.

This is the answer.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316081051, Mass Market Paperback)

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:49 -0400)

"The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we had created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives--the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will [come] out, even if it kills them."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,251,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible