Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Mira Grant

Member:JechtShot
Title:Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1)
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks, 2013 Challenge
Rating:***
Tags:Horror, Fiction

Feed by Mira Grant

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (andreablythe)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 2nd book in the Newsflesh series
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (trav)
    Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (justrumbelledearie)
    justrumbelledearie: Another fierce female blogging the zombie apocalypse.
    Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Countdown by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell: A Newsflesh Novella by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Fed by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Book 1.5 for this series.
    When Will You Rise: Stories to End the World by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Tie-in for this series.
    San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (A Newsflesh Novella) by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (HenriMoreaux)
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh trilogy!
    Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield (SimonW11)
    SimonW11: a zombie apocalpse better written than most
    Beyond Exile by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Thunder and Ashes by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)

English (160)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (161)
I want to make it clear before anything else: I am not rating this book on its actual quality. This is not a well-written book. The characterisation in this book is not terribly complex. Objectively, this is Not a Very Good Book.

And I loved the shit out of it.

This book is just so goddamn goofy and enjoyable and I love it to pieces and probably the best part is I wasn't expecting to. I liked George a lot, which probably helped, and for once I didn't actually see the first couple of plot twists coming (the latter few were a bit more predictable). The other characters are for the most part one-dimensional and I don't even care. I just really ENJOYED myself while reading this, despite my reservations, and really, what more can you ask for?

I have nothing constructive to say about this at all, do I? ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
This is the first zombie novel I have ever read. And I quiet enjoyed it.

The story goes like this. It's the year 2039. It's been 25 years since the "Rising" meaning since the zombie epidemic first happened. By the way, the zombies are created after they are infected by the Kellis-Amberlee virus. The virus stays dormant in the body till the person dies or is bitten by a zombie after which there is rapid amplification and the person becomes a zombie. Our story follows Shaun and Georgia Mason who are blogger journalists and who have been chosen by Senator Ryman to follow him and cover his campaign for the presidential elections. Things start going wrong when there is an attempt to sabotage the campaign.

There is much thought put behind the imagining the setting and it is very realistic. Lot of time has been spent on character building and to good effect. Overall a nice read. ( )
  mausergem | Oct 13, 2014 |
I doubt I'll ever finish this book. Just not to my tastes. There were some intriguing bits but it was too slow and I'm not really interested in US politics -instant Zzz's.

About 90 pages read.
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This is the second time I started this book and series. The first time, I sat it down after a few chapters- it just didn't grab me. This time I finished the first book. Doubt I will bother with the rest of the series.

Here again, it might just be the flooding of the market of zombie and zombie apocalypse series out there and unless the author comes up with something intriguing and different that will stand above the rest of the crap out there, it isn't going to work. Sadly, I'd have to say that Mira Grant didn't come up with anything new and exciting or noteworthy to grab this reader's attention. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
This was a fantastic read. I feel a bit stupid for how surprised I am by how much I enjoyed it. I wasn't prepared to like another Zombie book and yet I did.

Feed makes great use of setting and characters to tell a story. It is expertly plotted. I did take a star off for what felt like chronological troubles: I kept feeling it contradictions between it being 25 or so years in the future and after a society killing apocalypse how much technology, politics, and the news media are like they are today. This is a minor quibble and the only thing not to like about this excellent book.

I don't read a ton of YA. But this is top notch work. Makes me think I should read more. I was surprised at how good Akata Witch was and now I'm surprised at how good Feed is. I have to imagine there is a body of more YA spec-fic that will continue to surprise me. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Set more than two decades after an uprising of the living dead, Feed uses meticulous world-building to shape a narrative that’s believable, thrilling, and instantly clear.
added by Aerrin99 | editA.V. Club, Zack Handlen (May 13, 2010)

Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what's true and what's reported.
added by Aerrin99 | editPublisher's Weekly

Mira Grantprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Gian-Paulo Musumeci and Michael Ellis.

They each asked me a question.

This is the answer.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316081051, Mass Market Paperback)

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:49 -0400)

"The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we had created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives--the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will [come] out, even if it kills them."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,007,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible