Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Mira Grant

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Nor, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will come out, even if it kills them.… (more)
Member:Theodosia
Title:Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1)
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Tags:sf horror friend

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant

World War Z by Max Brooks (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Walking Dead, Volume 01: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (andreablythe)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Deadline (Newsflesh, Book 2) by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 2nd book in the Newsflesh series
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    The Last Stand of the California Browncoats by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Fed by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Book 1.5 for this series.
    When Will You Rise: Stories to End the World by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Tie-in for this series.
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (HenriMoreaux)
    Allison Hewitt Is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (ann.elizabeth)
    ann.elizabeth: Another fierce female blogging the zombie apocalypse.
    Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh trilogy!
    Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield (SimonW11)
    SimonW11: a zombie apocalpse better written than most
    Countdown: A Newsflesh Novella by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Beyond Exile by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Thunder and Ashes by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)

English (229)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (231)
I hate zombies.

In general, I just don't think they've got a lot of potential; vampires may be played out, but at least they've got personalities. Mostly, I hate zombies because they're everydamnwhere you look in pop culture.

So I was predisposed to dislike Feed. But enough people whose opinions I respect hold it in high regard, so I checked it out. I'm very glad I did.

The thing is, this isn't a zombie novel. The actual undead only make sporadic appearances. This is a book about a fully realized world, in which zombies are real and just something everyone has to deal with. It's much more about journalism; indeed, it's practically a love letter to it. Transmetropolitan of the Living Dead, if you will.

Georgia and Shaun Mason are a brother-and-sister blogging team who get the opportunity of a lifetime--to follow Senator Ryman on his Presidential campaign with full access. But as the road to the White House goes on, bad things start to happen.

I'm almost surprised at how much I like this book. Georgia and Shaun are both great characters, one cynical and brooding, one exuberant and risk-taking. The author has done an excellent job of building these characters and the world they live in, and making it all seem very real despite the outlandishness of the premise.

So thanks, all you people who bugged me to read this. You were right; I was wrong. ( )
  PeteMilan | Feb 5, 2020 |
Feed (Newsflesh #1)
by Mira Grant
2010
Orbit
4.5 / 5.0

Welcome to 2014. The common cold has been cured using an engineered virus. Due to misinformation, and a terrorist attack, these viruses' combine to produces a new virus, that is released upon death. It makes you into a zombie, with only one need and obsession. To Feed. This period in their history is referred to as the rising.

Georgia and her brother, Shaun, were orphaned. They were not related but were both adopted by the same parents, who had their own reasons for adopting.

As people became fearful and leery of anything outside, they stop going outside their confines, and send other people out for them, to report back what they find. The people in the confines are constantly taking blood tests to be sure they are not infected. There are two ways to get news about the outside. The news on TV, that is reporting what they want people to think and believe. That everything is fine, the zombies are under control. And there are blogs, which most people rely on to get the honest news of the outside, that zombies are rising and attacking. Georgia and Shaun are the ones sent out to get the outside news. They have started a blog that has become very popular to report their findings, that the news is misleading you. Zombies are still a threat.

There are different kinds of bloggers, as well. Georgia is a newsie blogger. She wants to report the news to make the world a better place. She is independent and strong in her convictions.Her brother, Shaun, is an another type of blogger. He pokes zombies with sticks and films it for their blog. It is his way of showing the truth out there in the world.

Georgia and Shaun get the opportunity to be the first bloggers to follow and record the actions of the President. They hope to better understand politics, but find conspiracy and betrayals that are much more concerning than zombies.

I absolutely am in love with this series. The best zombie series I've read. Honesty, integrity and personal responsibility are recurring themes. Well written and realized and such a damn good book. I am beginning book 2 with enthusiasm. ( )
  over.the.edge | Jan 4, 2020 |
This is a thrilling, intense novel. I loved the world-building, and seeing all the little ways the world adapted to zombies. I loved the main characters, and the relationship between the siblings. The writing itself is decent, it gets the story across and there are some good lines, but overall it's not particularly memorable. The only annoyances I had, was that while some of the snarky dialogue was very funny, some of it felt out of place and caused a bit of mood whiplash. Also, I thought the central mystery was a little to easy to solve. I figured it out halfway through, and was waiting for the characters to catch up. Overall, though I really did love this book, and would recommend to anyone who likes zombies or political thrillers. ( )
  queenofthebobs | Dec 26, 2019 |

I wanted to like this book! But I found myself skipping forward trying to force myself to finish.
It lost my interest halfway through the book. ( )
  jaytbaxter | Sep 28, 2019 |
Well written, awesome world-building, and memorable characters, but I just couldn't finish because I just didn't get into the premise.
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
Set more than two decades after an uprising of the living dead, Feed uses meticulous world-building to shape a narrative that’s believable, thrilling, and instantly clear.
added by Aerrin99 | editA.V. Club, Zack Handlen (May 13, 2010)

Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what's true and what's reported.
added by Aerrin99 | editPublisher's Weekly

Mira Grantprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Gian-Paulo Musumeci and Michael Ellis.

They each asked me a question.

This is the answer.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.
Wir haben den Krebs besiegt und den Schnupfen ausgerottet. Aber dabei haben wir etwas Grauenhaftes erschaffen, das nicht aufzuhalten ist: ein Virus, das die Toten wiederauferstehen lässt.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,383,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible