Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Mira Grant

Title:Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1)
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages

Feed by Mira Grant

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (andreablythe)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 2nd book in the Newsflesh series
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (trav)
    Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (anngeht)
    anngeht: Another fierce female blogging the zombie apocalypse.
    San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (A Newsflesh Novella) by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell: A Newsflesh Novella by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Countdown by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Fed by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Book 1.5 for this series.
    When Will You Rise: Stories to End the World by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Tie-in for this series.
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (HenriMoreaux)
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh trilogy!
    Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield (SimonW11)
    SimonW11: a zombie apocalpse better written than most
    Beyond Exile by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Thunder and Ashes by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)

English (179)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (181)
Feed takes place in the year 2039, 25 years after the zombie outbreak that occurred in 2014. In this novel, the characters are not facing a full on apocalypse. Despite the presence of zombies, much of society is intact. There are fully-operating restaurants, blogs, and even a presidential campaign. Georgia and Shaun Mason are a brother and sister duo who run a blog and have been chosen to cover the presidential campaign of Senator Ryman. Georgia is a straight news reporter while Shaun does crazy stunts to provoke the zombies. While on the campaign trail, someone is trying to make sure that they don’t make it out alive, starting by creating a zombie outbreak at a campaign stop in Oklahoma, and then later at the Senator’s ranch in Wisconsin. Meanwhile Georgia and Shaun are on the verge of uncovering a conspiracy, which makes them the target of these attacks.

Feed was a very enjoyable novel in many ways. With so many zombie novels and shows out there, this one stood above the pack. For one thing, the world created here isn’t fully apocalyptic, which is an interesting change of pace. I liked the level of detail put into how the Mason’s blog operates, along with many of the rules created. In general, the world building in this novel is thought provoking. The characters are multi-dimensional and interesting. The action has a slow build to it, heating up by the end of the novel. The one criticism that I have is that the big conspiracy suffers from believability issues and could be explained better. This is a cool novel; one you’ll want to check out.

Carl Alves - author of Reconquest: Mother Earth ( )
  Carl_Alves | Oct 4, 2015 |
Although I found the ending somewhat predictable, I thought overall this was an excellent sci-fi / zombie novel. Great attention to detail on the impact the "virus" has on the human body as well as human culture, also a good amount of gore. Look forward to the next one. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
This review first appeared on One Curvy Blogger
It’s 2012 and Earth is suddenly and effectively exposed to a mutated virus that quickly infected millions and changed the world over night. So what do you do when the people who are supposed to be dead get back up and start coming at you with hungry (infected) chompers? The smart people take what they learn from the popular zombie movies of George Romero and they kill them before they get to them.
20 years later and people have learned how to fight back and not get dead. Humanity gained back its numbers and slowly took back (most) of their countries and humanity gained back control from the undead forces. Well, for the most part… they have earned to co-exist with the threat of infection and so life goes one. And with humanity politics is never far off.
Can I once again express my gratitude for zombie fiction where zombie culture not only exists but is utilized to protect the remaining population? It saves me from unnecessary eye-rolling and the plot from predictable reactions I can always do without when it comes to zombie fiction.
It was also awesome to see blogging so important to the plot and not as just a hobby or a creative outlet. Don’t see that a lot in media, so it was a pleasant surprise. The plot and world building were spot on, by the end of the world building left no questions unanswered. It’s obvious the author did a thorough job researching everything from politics to medical science and created thoroughly believable world.
a little more on FEED and blogging
After the population got their shit together, they realized traditional news can not be trusted (there’s a shocker). Every one knows where there is a pandemic, there’s at least 10 government agencies trying to cover it up. So when the panic settled, and people have mostly rebuilt their numbers, they’ve learned to take what traditional media says with a grain of salt and have turned to sources they knew they could trust: bloggers just like them, reporting what they learn from experience. Bloggers have since divided into three major groups:
Irwins: These bloggers face danger head-on by interacting with zombies and spreading the word on new ways to kill zombies or how the zombies are adapting. These guys are the adrenaline junkies of the FEED world.
Newsies:These are blogging reporters that deal in facts and keep everyone updated on whats going on in the world. Sometimes this job brings them into dangerous situations, but they aren’t drawn to it like the Irwins.
Fictionals: The writers of the FEED universe, they entertain people with stories.

my thoughts on character development
The plot wasn’t the only thing Grant does well, she’s also mastered the art of character development. Shaun, Georgia, and their techie best friend, Buffy, are the main characters of FEED. Each main character is a blogger with their own ranks, titles, and blogs. Shaun is the Irwin of the group. His sister and closest friend, George is a well-respected Newsie and her voice is the book’s main point of view. They share a close bond that would be seen as unhealthily co-dependent in our world, but is just a sign on of the times in FEED. Both Shaun and George are the characters’ I connected with the most.
Buffy rounds out the trio with her technical skills and her Fictional blog, but to be honest I never liked her all that much. She never seemed as loyal to the group as the siblings were, and I soon learned why in the most shocking way. *hint hint*
After the three best friends are chosen by Senator Ryman to cover his presidential campaign, they combine their individual skills into one new site devoted to their new political journey. The experience quickly turns dangerous and I watched (in anticipation) every character go through obvious character growth that helped to nail home exactly what role they played and why.
superb narration helped make this audiobook a 2015 favorite
I couldn’t possibly write an audiobook review without mentioning the narration! Paula Christenson was the main narrator for FEED; she narrated the entire story with Jesse Bernstein narrating the last few chapters. I believe he also did a couple supporting voices and clips from Shaun’s blog in between important chapters. I have a feeling Bernstein will have a bigger role in book 2, and will have more of an opinion then.

Christenson did a great job of holding my interest. I could clearly distinguish every male and female character, which had to take a lot of hard work with such a large cast of returning characters. The male characters’ were handled very well and contrasted nicely. I never had an issue with the way their voices were portrayed, like I have with a few other audiobooks I’ve read that were also single narration. I couldn’t have enjoyed FEED as much as I did without the awesome narration, and will be looking out for more books narrated by Paula Christenson in the future.
I loved FEED and you will, too! (I hope)
This book was a five-star read for me, so clearly I enjoyed myself. If you are looking for more blood and gore than political thriller, this may not be the zombie book for you, but there was enough zombie action for this zombie enthusiast. I will warn you it isn’t a “zombie survival” story, so don’t expect it to be one and you won’t be disappointed. It was a nice addition to the story and shouldn’t be missed! I quickly purchased the second audiobook in the series and cannot wait to continue the trilogy! ( )
  One_Curvy_Blogger | Aug 19, 2015 |
Such a good premise but the author spends so much time relating how the characters get tested to prove they don't have the zombie virus that I feel like the exciting moments of the plot get lost. Many times the action happened between chapters, and you only learn about it in retrospect. ( )
  louis.arata | Jul 31, 2015 |
I have been wanting to read Feed for a very long time. I heard that it was really good but for some strange reason I just didn’t have high expectations going into it. I thought it would just be an okay read. I’m not exactly sure why I thought that, but I did.

I think it might have something to do with the plot. Which is crazy because it was great. Being a blogger you would think I would have loved the idea right away. I’m not sure why I didn’t think I would like it. However, once I started reading, it didn’t take me long to love it.

The characters were probably the biggest reason why I loved this book as much as I did. I loved Shaun. I thought he was hilarious and I wanted to be in the book just so I could be friends with him. Georgia on the other hand wasn’t my favorite. There were times I really liked her, and then there were other times I just felt meh about her. As for Buffy, I just couldn’t get behind her. There was just something about her I didn’t like from the very beginning. I couldn’t bring myself to care about her. The only other character that I’m even going to mention is Steve. He was a pretty awesome guy too. I loved when Steve and Shaun were together.

To wrap this all up, I’m just going to say read it. It is amazing. The next time I buy books I will not only be getting book two, but I will also go right ahead and pick up book three while I’m at it.

Feed by Mira Grant deserves the five Stars I’m giving it. I loved it. Please pick it up if you haven’t yet. You wont regret it.

Note: This is an older review. So I don’t feel like I can get more into what I liked and disliked about it. Maybe someday I will re-read Feed and do another review. Better reviews (hopefully) in the future.

Also, I did buy the other two books the next time I bought books. I have also read them and they are amazing. This was such a great trilogy. One of the best I’ve ever read. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Jun 28, 2015 |
Set more than two decades after an uprising of the living dead, Feed uses meticulous world-building to shape a narrative that’s believable, thrilling, and instantly clear.
added by Aerrin99 | editA.V. Club, Zack Handlen (May 13, 2010)
Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what's true and what's reported.
added by Aerrin99 | editPublisher's Weekly

Mira Grantprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Gian-Paulo Musumeci and Michael Ellis.

They each asked me a question.

This is the answer.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.
Wir haben den Krebs besiegt und den Schnupfen ausgerottet. Aber dabei haben wir etwas Grauenhaftes erschaffen, das nicht aufzuhalten ist: ein Virus, das die Toten wiederauferstehen lässt.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316081051, Mass Market Paperback)

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:53 -0400)

"The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we had created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives--the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will [come] out, even if it kills them."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,710,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible