Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Mira Grant

2,1142083,108 (3.9)196
Member:rhys6blue
Title:Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1)
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Rating:****1/2

Feed by Mira Grant

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (andreablythe)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 2nd book in the Newsflesh series
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell: A Newsflesh Novella by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (trav)
    San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (A Newsflesh Novella) by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    When Will You Rise: Stories to End the World by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Tie-in for this series.
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (HenriMoreaux)
    Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (anngeht)
    anngeht: Another fierce female blogging the zombie apocalypse.
    Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea: A Newsflesh Novella by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Fed by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Book 1.5 for this series.
    Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield (SimonW11)
    SimonW11: a zombie apocalpse better written than most
    Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Countdown by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh trilogy!
    Beyond Exile by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Thunder and Ashes by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)

English (206)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  English (208)
Sherry and I participated in Goodreads 2016 TBR Twins Challenge. We chose to read Feed (Newsflesh Book 1) by Mira Grant. It was a very good choice.

When Sherry was about one third of the way through the book, she shared with me, “it's an interesting concept of how the whole thing came to be and about blogging. I kind of like the blogging aspect as now in 2016 you don't see much bloggers. It is like they say, mostly teenagers blogging about their depress/antsy life. I used to do that all during high school.

I thought the blogging aspect was cool. It is a more rounded view of what is happening. Not just one person or one organization. What I really like is that it is a zombie apocalypse where civilization has not totally fallen. There is still a government. Still communication. Still the trappings of a normality. Yet there is this constant threat. If you replace "zombie" with "terrorist", it lends itself to a very good conversation. I grew up during the cold war. While we lived everyday normal lives, there was a threat constantly hanging over our heads but not visible. This book reminds me of that type of threat that is there but not there. I

When Sherry finished the book, her summary was, “I LOVE IT!!!!! I can't wait for book #2. I don't want to spoil it for you but sad ending. I also think it's awesome that society did not fall. In movies you always see humanity fallen, people just savage and live off the grid. I like that it is still organized and civilized.

Once I finished I decided I would give it 5 out of 5 stars. Again the main selling point for me was the uniqueness of a not completely fallen civilization. The ending was sad but left room for so much more to happen. I liked seeing Shawn grow from idiot brother to a fully realized character.

As you can tell buth Sherry and I were captivated by a semi-apocalypse. Most post apocalypse books I have encountered are somewhat of a scorched earth, nothing left, no civilization, no infrastructure, no communications. It was so refreshing to read a book that still has government and lights and communication. It sets a totally different feel for the book. As I referenced above, the concept of safe areas where no one is truly safe is probably the most horribly aspect of the book. Sherry and I would both highly recommend it.
  nhalliwell | Nov 13, 2016 |
Who knew one could cry while reading a zombie story? I didn't, but I did just that. A meditation on the media, technology, and the informing and/or misinforming of society. More about a new society based on fear than a straight-up zombie book. However-- enough zombies for some fun, never fear. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
Brilliant science and human idiocy brought on the zombie apocalypse; a generation later, the population still lives behind walls. Intrepid bloggers Georgia and Shaun Mason are the rare exception – they’ll chase a good story wherever it leads. When they’re invited to join a Presidential campaign, their ratings are guaranteed. Political thriller with zombies? Give this lady an award. Oh wait, they did (Goodreads Best SF, but it was also the runner up for the Hugo).

There’s so much to like here, as long as you’re signed up for political thriller with intermittent zombies and post-apocalyptic trappings, rather than seeking a full-blown zombie splatterfest (sequences with zombies are good, but are used sparingly, which I liked). The snark feels like a coping mechanism, which I relate to entirely as a Brit with a black sense of humour. Ultimately, this is a fun ride and a fresh approach to a well-spattered subgenre, and I can see why it comes highly recommended.

That said, there were a number of things that I didn't like - notably Shaun Mason (unfortunately), some of Georgia's bitchier moments, and the villain of the piece - and while I enjoyed it as a read, I'm not sure I'll continue with the series.

Full review. ( )
  imyril | Oct 22, 2016 |
I had been looking forward to reading this series for a while as I am a big fan of zombie/survival horror novels. World building was a bit patchy and the politics had no nuance at all, disappointing though I will read the rest of the series. ( )
  kale.dyer | Sep 29, 2016 |
A fresh take on zombies. This book really isn't so much about zombies, just that this is a world that now has to deal with them. Bloggers are the new reporters and one small team of bloggers is chosen to follow a presidential candidate on the road. They uncover a conspiracy trying to end the campaign.

Characters are good. Story was good, I didn't want to put the book down. Not a heavy read. ( )
  bookwormteri | Sep 20, 2016 |
Set more than two decades after an uprising of the living dead, Feed uses meticulous world-building to shape a narrative that’s believable, thrilling, and instantly clear.
added by Aerrin99 | editA.V. Club, Zack Handlen (May 13, 2010)

Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what's true and what's reported.
added by Aerrin99 | editPublisher's Weekly

Mira Grantprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Gian-Paulo Musumeci and Michael Ellis.

They each asked me a question.

This is the answer.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.
Wir haben den Krebs besiegt und den Schnupfen ausgerottet. Aber dabei haben wir etwas Grauenhaftes erschaffen, das nicht aufzuhalten ist: ein Virus, das die Toten wiederauferstehen lässt.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316081051, Mass Market Paperback)

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:53 -0400)

"The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we had created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives--the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will [come] out, even if it kills them."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,667,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible