Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Mira Grant

Member:rhys6blue
Title:Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1)
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Rating:****1/2

Feed by Mira Grant

Recently added byAmarillide, Foodang, private library, Verkruissen, dashi, areni55, Karen.Holding, jmchshannon, kintonk
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (andreablythe)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 2nd book in the Newsflesh series
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (trav)
    Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (justrumbelledearie)
    justrumbelledearie: Another fierce female blogging the zombie apocalypse.
    The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell: A Newsflesh Novella by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Countdown by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (A Newsflesh Novella) by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    When Will You Rise: Stories to End the World by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Tie-in for this series.
    Fed by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Book 1.5 for this series.
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (HenriMoreaux)
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh trilogy!
    Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield (SimonW11)
    SimonW11: a zombie apocalpse better written than most
    Beyond Exile by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Thunder and Ashes by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)

English (172)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (173)
I've had Feed on my shelf at home for literally years. I'm not sure exactly when I bought it, but I already owned it when I added it to my GoodReads tbr shelf in 2010, so it's been sitting unread for over 5 years. And now that I've read it, I can say with authority that that's kind of a shame.

I think I expected this book to be a zombie book. Even though there are zombies in it, I don't think it really is a zombie book. "Being chased by zombies" takes up far less of the story than "dealing with life under threat of contagion" or "being a journalist." And for me, that was a brilliant choice. It's a story about journalists and about a presidential campaign, and the zombies just heighten everything. As I grew to care about these characters, I was far more worried about what their fellow humans might do than I ever was about them being gnawed on by zombies.

Mira Grant has a lot of things to say here about media and politics and freedom and fear, and she manages to say them all through a really compelling story. What I expected was a smart, edgy horror novel. What I got was a smart, edgy, thought-provoking book about big ideas. And it made me cry. I will definitely be reading the second book, and probably everything Mira Grant decides to write. ( )
  librarymeg | Mar 16, 2015 |
This is a well written, surprisingly fresh take on the world after zombies.Yes there are zombies. Yes there are zombie hordes. I think the whole take on news and news organizations is very relevant.We also have political intrigue and murder. I am not going to rehash the story. I will say the author pegs America as it is now and where we may be heading, zombie apocalypse or not. I am not sure if I like it.....I look forward the reading the next book in the series. Yes folks series. Be ready. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
FEED (Newsflesh Trilogy, Book 1) by Mira Grant is not your average zombie book. Zombies play a pivotal role in FEED, but so does blogging, the news, and politics. Part zombie horror and part political thriller, this novel was a lot to digest. The protagonists, Georgia and Shaun Mason are bloggers who have been invited to follow the campaign trail of Senator Peter Ryman, positioning for the Republican bid. It is 2039, and America has been living in a post-apocalyptic world. Kellis-Amberlee has been born, and is now a fact of life, creating zombies and destroying our world. As a result, the news is no longer popular in print, but a booming blogging industry has helped to mold the way people get their information. Georgia and Shaun are at the front of the pack. FEED follows the duo as they uncover some ugly truths about Kellis-Amberlee, the government, and the CDC.

I did enjoy this novel. It wasn't a 'typical' zombie novel. The political thriller aspect really added a new dimension to the sub-genre of zombie thrillers. The characters were well developed and the overall world was created with skill. Grant also did a fabulous job with the back-story of Kellis-Amberlee and the Mason's family. I find myself always searching for those answers in books, and she delivered. I can imagine that explaining the medical back-story of such is difficult, but Mira Grant explained it well enough that I feel like I can totally explain Kellis-Amberlee to anyone as if I was living during the zombie era. I do feel as though the novel was a bit overworked at times, and a bit of a drag. I hit some spots where I just got a bit tired of it- not quite as fast-paced as I would have enjoyed. However, the overall concept is what pushed me through. I was beyond glad that I did, because as I moved further into the story and the political thriller became more evident, the novel just propelled itself. The last chapters of FEED were all-consuming, and I just couldn't put it down. Grant has many twists and turns that keep the reader interested, but the ending was mind blowing. I was shocked and can honestly say that I didn't see it coming- which doesn't happen often. Thrilled and surprised, I closed FEED and was immediately anxious to continue the story with the next in the series, Deadline. ( )
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
I loved this book!

To start off, this book has no romantic plot whatsoever for the protagonist, and it was wonderful! It was so refreshing to see a strong female protagonist that doesn't need romance. Georgia has too much going on for her in life to even bother with dating. Georgia is smart, willful, and knows what she's doing. She leaves the risk-taking to her brother Shaun. I really enjoyed the relationship between Georgia and Shaun and the fact that it is such a central part of the novel. It's nice to see such a strong brother-sister bond.

This is post apocalyptic zombie-land where political intrigue abounds and the world building is phenomenal. The detail into which the author thinks about containment, biohazards and safety protocols is just amazing and makes the world really feel plausible. While, yes, zombies exist, the novel is about so much more.

I have to admit though, this book had me bawling the last 20% or so. Big blubbery, red-faced tears! So many feelings! At much as I hated the events that made me cry so much, I also liked that the author wasn't afraid to go there. Mira Grant takes after Joss Whedon in that regard, which isn't too surprising since her fandom in apparent in the usage of the name 'Buffy'.

Anywho, if you want action, intrigue, zombies and more, pick this book up! ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
Set more than two decades after an uprising of the living dead, Feed uses meticulous world-building to shape a narrative that’s believable, thrilling, and instantly clear.
added by Aerrin99 | editA.V. Club, Zack Handlen (May 13, 2010)

Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what's true and what's reported.
added by Aerrin99 | editPublisher's Weekly

Mira Grantprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Gian-Paulo Musumeci and Michael Ellis.

They each asked me a question.

This is the answer.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316081051, Mass Market Paperback)

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:49 -0400)

"The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we had created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives--the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will [come] out, even if it kills them."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,257,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible