Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Mira Grant

2,0372023,281 (3.9)191
Member:rhys6blue
Title:Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1)
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Rating:****1/2

Feed by Mira Grant

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (andreablythe)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 2nd book in the Newsflesh series
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell: A Newsflesh Novella by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (trav)
    San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (A Newsflesh Novella) by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    When Will You Rise: Stories to End the World by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Tie-in for this series.
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (HenriMoreaux)
    Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (anngeht)
    anngeht: Another fierce female blogging the zombie apocalypse.
    Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea: A Newsflesh Novella by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Fed by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Book 1.5 for this series.
    Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield (SimonW11)
    SimonW11: a zombie apocalpse better written than most
    Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Countdown by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh trilogy!
    Beyond Exile by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Thunder and Ashes by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)

English (200)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (202)
I want to make it clear before anything else: I am not rating this book on its actual quality. This is not a well-written book. The characterisation in this book is not terribly complex. Objectively, this is Not a Very Good Book.

And I loved the shit out of it.

This book is just so goddamn goofy and enjoyable and I love it to pieces and probably the best part is I wasn't expecting to. I liked George a lot, which probably helped, and for once I didn't actually see the first couple of plot twists coming (the latter few were a bit more predictable). The other characters are for the most part one-dimensional and I don't even care. I just really ENJOYED myself while reading this, despite my reservations, and really, what more can you ask for?

I have nothing constructive to say about this at all, do I? ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
I really liked this book. Although, let's be honest, I kept waiting for the time when George and Sean would start making out, but I hope that's just from the way the audiobook was being read.

Also, I'd like to think I'd be as kick-ass as Georgia in the event of the "End Times," but I'd probably be total wiener. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Feed is not a zombie book, it is a discussion of fear and the power it can have to solidify agendas, popularize hate and entrap our minds. Feed is a well-masked exploration of the war on terror, honing in on the power of the media and the movement of information to not only hide but reveal truth. It is quite a heady subject for a little zombie book, and even though I enjoyed it, I wish I loved it. The book is fraught with repetition that unsuccessfully grounds the reader to the horrors of an infected world, forcing the reader to skim. Trust me, I don't want to skim but if a book is bogged down with sameness, I will have to hunt for the ending from frustration not delight. I sit on the fence with Feed, wanting it to be less about sloppy blog writing (ha-ha-eek) that seemed antiquated in it's treatment of on-line news while loving the apocalyptic nightmare and the bad-ass generation who has inherited this zombie world.

For my full review: http://goo.gl/VwrDsK ( )
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |
Not bad.

Some parts are relatively rigorous--like the virus science. The whole blogging thing will certainly turn some people off, but I thought it was cute.

Kinda a downer, but you probalby know that going in. ( )
  adamwolf | Jun 7, 2016 |
Good not great. First person narrative (-) that at times got lost in the doldrums of detail. Strong ending that made the duller moments worthwhile. ( )
  apomonis | Jun 2, 2016 |
Set more than two decades after an uprising of the living dead, Feed uses meticulous world-building to shape a narrative that’s believable, thrilling, and instantly clear.
added by Aerrin99 | editA.V. Club, Zack Handlen (May 13, 2010)

Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what's true and what's reported.
added by Aerrin99 | editPublisher's Weekly

Mira Grantprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Gian-Paulo Musumeci and Michael Ellis.

They each asked me a question.

This is the answer.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.
Wir haben den Krebs besiegt und den Schnupfen ausgerottet. Aber dabei haben wir etwas Grauenhaftes erschaffen, das nicht aufzuhalten ist: ein Virus, das die Toten wiederauferstehen lässt.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316081051, Mass Market Paperback)

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:53 -0400)

"The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we had created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives--the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will [come] out, even if it kills them."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,421,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible