Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Mira Grant

Member:rhys6blue
Title:Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1)
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Rating:****1/2

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (andreablythe)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 2nd book in the Newsflesh series
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (trav)
    Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (justrumbelledearie)
    justrumbelledearie: Another fierce female blogging the zombie apocalypse.
    The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell: A Newsflesh Novella by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Countdown by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (A Newsflesh Novella) by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    When Will You Rise: Stories to End the World by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Tie-in for this series.
    Fed by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Book 1.5 for this series.
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (HenriMoreaux)
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh trilogy!
    Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield (SimonW11)
    SimonW11: a zombie apocalpse better written than most
    Beyond Exile by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Thunder and Ashes by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)

English (174)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (176)
Listened/Read for Fun (Audible/Paperback)
Overall Rating: 5.00
Story Rating: 5.00
Character Rating: 5.00

Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: I freaking loved Feed by Mira Grant!

Overall Thoughts: I swear I thought I had read/reviewed this before but clearly I had not (I didn't remember the end). Now I need to read the rest of them (which I also thought I had already read/reviewed). I freaking love Feed. The world, the blogginess, and the zombie uniqueness. I highly recommend it :)

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Paula Christensen, Jesse Bernstein / Length: 15 hrs and 10 mins

Just going to say it: Well worth the 15 hrs it took to listen to it :)

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! ( )
  thehistorychic | Apr 20, 2015 |
I'm almost, wait, I am definitely one hundred percent certain that Buffy was a Vampire Slayer, not a Zombie Slayer. I'm not even going to bother writing about how different those two things are. I was quite excited about reading this book: I have recently (along with most people) become quite interested in reading Zombie books, and zombie books about all the different aspects of zombie books: before the zombies came, during, after, much after. But I'm not really interested in the silly thoughts of three teenagers (I think? Tell me those aren't adults) who, whilst commendably are trying to "get the truth out there", are just roving about being arses. Plus it's the same truth that always appears in a zombie book, or film, or TV series. The bloody government with their bloody ideas of being Holier Than Thou. Whatever happened to the Necromancers, that's what I want to know. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I've had Feed on my shelf at home for literally years. I'm not sure exactly when I bought it, but I already owned it when I added it to my GoodReads tbr shelf in 2010, so it's been sitting unread for over 5 years. And now that I've read it, I can say with authority that that's kind of a shame.

I think I expected this book to be a zombie book. Even though there are zombies in it, I don't think it really is a zombie book. "Being chased by zombies" takes up far less of the story than "dealing with life under threat of contagion" or "being a journalist." And for me, that was a brilliant choice. It's a story about journalists and about a presidential campaign, and the zombies just heighten everything. As I grew to care about these characters, I was far more worried about what their fellow humans might do than I ever was about them being gnawed on by zombies.

Mira Grant has a lot of things to say here about media and politics and freedom and fear, and she manages to say them all through a really compelling story. What I expected was a smart, edgy horror novel. What I got was a smart, edgy, thought-provoking book about big ideas. And it made me cry. I will definitely be reading the second book, and probably everything Mira Grant decides to write. ( )
  librarymeg | Mar 16, 2015 |
This is a well written, surprisingly fresh take on the world after zombies.Yes there are zombies. Yes there are zombie hordes. I think the whole take on news and news organizations is very relevant.We also have political intrigue and murder. I am not going to rehash the story. I will say the author pegs America as it is now and where we may be heading, zombie apocalypse or not. I am not sure if I like it.....I look forward the reading the next book in the series. Yes folks series. Be ready. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
Set more than two decades after an uprising of the living dead, Feed uses meticulous world-building to shape a narrative that’s believable, thrilling, and instantly clear.
added by Aerrin99 | editA.V. Club, Zack Handlen (May 13, 2010)

Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what's true and what's reported.
added by Aerrin99 | editPublisher's Weekly

Mira Grantprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Gian-Paulo Musumeci and Michael Ellis.

They each asked me a question.

This is the answer.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.
Wir haben den Krebs besiegt und den Schnupfen ausgerottet. Aber dabei haben wir etwas Grauenhaftes erschaffen, das nicht aufzuhalten ist: ein Virus, das die Toten wiederauferstehen lässt.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316081051, Mass Market Paperback)

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:49 -0400)

"The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we had created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives--the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will [come] out, even if it kills them."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,747,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible