Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Mira Grant

1,9771963,424 (3.9)184
Member:rhys6blue
Title:Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1)
Authors:Mira Grant
Info:Orbit (2010), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Rating:****1/2

Feed by Mira Grant

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (andreablythe)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 2nd book in the Newsflesh series
    The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell: A Newsflesh Novella by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (trav)
    San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (A Newsflesh Novella) by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (HenriMoreaux)
    Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (anngeht)
    anngeht: Another fierce female blogging the zombie apocalypse.
    Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea: A Newsflesh Novella by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    When Will You Rise: Stories to End the World by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Tie-in for this series.
    Countdown by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Fed by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Book 1.5 for this series.
    Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield (SimonW11)
    SimonW11: a zombie apocalpse better written than most
    Thunder and Ashes by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh trilogy!
    Beyond Exile by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)

English (194)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (196)
Terrific fun. Zombies, post-apocalyptic politics, and quick-ass bloggers. What is not to like? Perhaps a bit too hipster techie for some folks of particular vintages. But for my money, perfect summer beach fare for young and old. ( )
  terribly | Mar 23, 2016 |
Good stuff. A neat combination of zombpocalypse and future tech. Well done characters. A Hugo winner? Maybe. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Feed by Mira Grant takes place in 2039, 25 years after the Kellis-Amberlee virus that turns infected people into zombies was released. Now zombies are simply a part of life and social media, especially blogging, is how people get their news. The protagonists who own a blogging news site include: George (Georgia), Shaun (George’s brother), and Buffy. They are all thrilled when Sen. Peter Ryman invites them to be the bloggers who cover his presidential campaign. At the end of each chapter are excerpts from the characters’ blogs.

This is a world where a bloggers' market share rules and people have learned to cope with the zombies. Actually, Feed is more a political thriller than a zombie novel. The zombies are there, but generally secondary to the intrigue. While there isn't much blood and gore, there is a clear indication of how living in a society where zombies are a reality is handled, including constant blood tests for infection and sterilization techniques in place. Various zones are rated by degree of safety.

I liked the way Grant had the Kellis-Amberlee virus developed from the mixing of two cures. She also handled all the precautions people would learn to take by necessity well. There was, however, also a lot of repetition of information that could have been edited out.

While some people likely will enjoy all the pop culture reference, personally, I didn't care for all of them because I didn't think some of them would still be in use in this future. What they do is place the novel firmly in the current time period. For example An "Irwin", as in Steve Irwin, is a blogger who likes action or "to poke things with sticks" - in this case, Shaun. I became quite weary of reading, as a running joke, about how Shaun wanted to poke a zombie with a stick. Mentioning it a few times would have been enough. I get it. Other pop culture references abound: Hunter S. Thomas, JFK, mp3's... even Buffy's nickname seems unlikely.

I also couldn't buy these young adults, born after the zombie apocalypse, describing something as "a cross between a carnival and a frat party" (pg. 196) when it is made quite clear that young people in this future do not like crowds and avoid them due to the risk that someone may go zombie-viral. Both a carnival and frat party are unlikely events. Sometimes it felt like some of Grant's references and/or descriptions distracted from the story.

Feed is told in a first-person narrative, which works well for a novel featuring bloggers but it might have been even better if it were told from multiple viewpoints. It is entertaining escapism even though the antagonist is easily and immediately identifiable. (Mira Grant is the pen name of author Seanan McGuire.) This is the first book is a purposed 3 book series. While I basically enjoyed it, I'm not planning to immediately get the next book in the series. Highly recommended (3.5) - for fun; http://shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/

SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
I love zombies, medical thrillers, post-apocolytic fiction, and conspiracies, so loved this book. I've read all three of the trilogy in a row and this was the strongest book of the three. Grant built an interesting and compelling view of a post-apolocalyptic world, a strangely hopeful view of humanity. The political story she writes is an interesting commentary on current politics. Her explanation of the zombie plague was very convincing. The two main characters were slightly annoying and I had to wonder why some of the minor characters were so devoted to them, but that was a minor flaw. I can recommend this to almost anyone, especially if you love zombie movies! Enjoy! ( )
  csmith0406 | Mar 18, 2016 |
Very enjoyable. The ending surprised me and I will definitely be picking up the sequel when it comes out. ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |
Set more than two decades after an uprising of the living dead, Feed uses meticulous world-building to shape a narrative that’s believable, thrilling, and instantly clear.
added by Aerrin99 | editA.V. Club, Zack Handlen (May 13, 2010)

Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what's true and what's reported.
added by Aerrin99 | editPublisher's Weekly

Mira Grantprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Gian-Paulo Musumeci and Michael Ellis.

They each asked me a question.

This is the answer.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.
Wir haben den Krebs besiegt und den Schnupfen ausgerottet. Aber dabei haben wir etwas Grauenhaftes erschaffen, das nicht aufzuhalten ist: ein Virus, das die Toten wiederauferstehen lässt.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316081051, Mass Market Paperback)

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:53 -0400)

"The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we had created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives--the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will [come] out, even if it kills them."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,851,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible