The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by…

The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives (edition 2010)

by Titilola Alexandrah Shoneyin

301None37,135 (3.45)85
Member:acqua
Title:The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives
Authors:Titilola Alexandrah Shoneyin
Info:Profile (2010), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:"read 2012", relationship, sex, sexuality, marriage, africa, nigeria, infertility, contemporary, poligamy

The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyin

Recently added byprivate library, cla37619, sanicki, Dureo, fran777, nandadevi, seldombites, FlorenceArt, rachbxl

English (41)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (44)
Baba Segi is a moderately successful businessman, fat, self-satisfied and not very prepossessing - but he thinks he's wonderful. He already has three wives (and several children) when his eye falls on Bolanle. Unlike his other wives, she is both educated and beautiful and could surely do better than be fourth wife to this 'buffoon', as her mother calls him, yet she agrees to join the household. The existing wives resent her arrival and plot against her - and they are right to be afraid, for Bolanle's arrival will trigger the disintegration of family life as they know it, although the fault will lie entirely with the other wives.

I found this book enjoyable to read, in particular because it felt like lifting the roof off a dolls' house and peering in for a while, scrutinising the inhabitants and their behaviour, before replacing the roof and tiptoeing off, leaving them to it. Nothing is quite what it seems, as we learn from the sections narrated by different characters - all the wives, Baba Segi himself, and his driver - and it turns out that all the wives had very particular reasons for marrying Baba Segi. This is not the life any of them would have chosen.

What I liked less was the characterisation. Baba Segi, especially, I found to be a caricature; as I said, Bolanle's mother calls him a 'buffoon', but does he really have to be such an unadulterated one? He's a stupid, fat, middle-aged man who thinks he's got it made with his business, his big house, his four (FOUR!) wives (including a beautiful graduate!) and his scores of children, and he leaps from bed to bed, from wife to wife, proud of his sexual appetite...it's just too much. (Even so, when the truth dawns, I couldn't help feeling sorry for him, but I'd have felt much sorrier for a more rounded, credible character). Equally, two of the wives I found to be similarly two-dimensional - evil schemers with no redeeming features, although their back stories do make their behaviour more understandable. ( )
  rachbxl | Feb 10, 2014 |
"It's set at a rollicking pace that carries you along with the vaguely soap opera-like plot."
read more: http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-secret-lives-of-baba-segis-wiv... ( )
  mongoosenamedt | Apr 18, 2013 |
Opening Sentence: “…When Baba Segi awoke with a bellyache for the sixth day in a row, he knew it was time to do something about his fourth wife’s childlessness…”

Baba Segi has four wives, Iya Segi the bride of Baba Segi's youth, a fat, powerful and vindictive woman who will stop at nothing to protect her favoured position as ruler of her husband's home. Iya Tope, Baba Segi's second wife, a decent, shy, timid woman, is totally non-confrontational which makes her unwilling to stand up for injustices in the household. Iya Femi, the third wife, born a Muslim then became a Christian convert she is full of the vengeance that she believes God demands. She is spends all her days plotting revenge on people she believes have slighted her. Then there is the newest wife, Bolanle, young, educated and of all the wives, Bolanle was the only one that Baba Segi deliberately chose to marry. The other wives were either gifted to him or they gifted themselves.

Horrified that their husband has brought another wife home, the first and third wives, Iya Segi and Iya Femi, start to plot Bolanle's downfall, trouble is they don’t realise that their own secret is in danger of being exposed. Things start to unravel for the scheming wives when after a couple of years of marriage Bolanle does not get pregnant. Fathering his seven children has been a great source of pride for Baba Segi and Bolanle's apparent barrenness is severely damaging his envied reputation as a fruitful father.

Glimpses of Nigerian culture are woven into the story in such a way as to not completely overwhelm the reader with the difference between Nigerian lives and that of ‘western’ culture. For Instance I noticed that the three wives all had what appeared to be the same first name - Iya Segi, Iya Tope, and Iya Femi, while the last wife was just Bolanle. I emailed a Nigerian friend of mine and asked if there was a reason; there is. It is a customary practice in some parts of Nigeria for married women to be known as 'Iya' followed by the name of their first child. 'Iya' in this context means 'mother of' so Iya Segi is mother of Segi. I love learning new things about other cultures.

The story is told mainly from Bolanle’s point of view, however, most of the other characters get a chance to have their say. As the novel unfolds, the background of each wife prior to her marriage to Baba Segi is revealed, and how she came to be his wife, providing insight into her individual fears and motivations. Baba Segi, his driver and one of the daughters also told part of the story – so there was a wide range of narrators. Despite the plethora of voices, the novel maintained a smooth flow and a clear narrative. All the back stories that are added by the various points of view to the overall plot of THE SECRET LIVES OF BABA SEGI'S WIVES are engrossing, and even though the ‘secret’ became apparent very early on in the book, the resolution came as a surprise, maybe even a little bit of a let down – But I am not sure how I expected it to end – so I guess the resolution was as good as any after all.

Author, Lola Shoneyin, very realistically demonstrates how the power dynamics involved in polygamist marriages could work; the inequality between joint wives and the constant competition between them as they jostle for prime position. Then there is the thoughtlessness of the man who decides that it is okay to take a second (or third, or fourth) wife and just introduce her to the existing women without thought of how she is going to be received.

Outwardly THE SECRET LIVES OF BABA SEGI'S WIVES was a quick breezy read. However, there were hidden depths to be constantly discovered and I thoroughly enjoyed the story, hated that it finished, and continued to muse over it long after the last page was finished.

sally906 | Apr 3, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
pandeliteraryauthorslolashoneyin
I can not imagine being one of four wives. I also can not imagine living in a household with three of the women who are mothers while I am barren. Altogether there are seven children in Baba Segi's household. LOLA SHONEYIN does not strive to sugarcoat the situation of this African lifestyle. The situation can become ugly with nasty name calling, revenge, jealousy. It becomes very important to establish the fact that you are the head of the pack or the most important wife. This is why Bolanle became my favorite of the wives. She is the last wife. She is new to anything that happens in the household. Many times she has to trust her gut instinct that the other wives are not leading her down a wrong path. This time are they telling her the truth or another lie. As the story moves forward, the behavior of the wives becomes more and more unreliable and hateful. Bolanle relies on personal strength and a woman's intuition to get her through each day. Finally, she will find a friend in whom she least expects to find one. However, the friendship will lead to more trouble for Bolanle.

Of course, I didn't like Baba Segi. He seems to portray a stereotype of the black male. In other words, the conquering of women means he is strong and manly, a powerful man whose word should never be questioned. Also, the othe stereotype is that the Black male thinks about sex all the time and never gets enough. For example, Baba Segi gives a night or nights to each woman for love making. His intimacy is less than kindly. Selfish is the word I would use. However, further in the story I became sympathetic toward Baba Segi. This part in "the secret lives of baba segi's wives" is proof that African men have feelings too and can think with their heads and not just the lower half of their bodies. In one chapter his body language shows his change in character."Baba Segi nodded in concurrence but he was silent. Arms that were earlier folded over his bosom dropped to his sides." This novel added to my knowledge of the African culture. I had the chance to explore the African male mind as well as the mind of the African woman. I also love the way LOLA SHONEYIN uses the title as the shocker of the whole book. I never would have guessed the secret.
  Tea58 | Aug 6, 2012 |

Lola Shoneyinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tarasconi, IlariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Tinuoye and Yetunde Sheoneyin
....and for Olaokun
When Baba Segu awoke with a bellyache for the sixth day in a row, he knew it was time to do something drastic about his fourth wife's childlessness.

Baba Segi, a polygamous husband in modern-day Nigeria, believes his three wives and numerous children are a sign of his prosperity, success, and manhood, but his peaceful domain unravels when he brings home Bolanle, a quiet, college-educated woman as his fourth wife.

Baba Segi's fourth wife, the young, college-educated Bolanle, sends his household into turmoil, causing his other three wives to become jealous and resentful and to plot her downfall.

Lola Shoneyin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible