The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by…

The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott

by Kelly O’Connor McNees, Kelly O'Connor McNees

An absolute treasure for all of us who so fondly recall reading "Little Women" and other novels by Louisa May Alcott has we came of age. And may it inspire those who are reading "The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott" as their first introduction to this extraordinary woman to discover her novels.

I rarely read novels more than once but I know that I will read this priceless gem again some day. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Nov 16, 2017 |
3.5 stars. Overall, I immensely enjoyed 75% of the story. The latter chapters and ending was disappointing though. ( )
  This-n-That | Jul 23, 2016 |
This fictionalized account tells the story of one fateful summer in Louisa May Alcott's life. It's the summer just before she moves to Boston on her own to begin her career as a writer. Much against her will, she falls in love with a young man. But he has promised to marry a woman he doesn't love so that he can pay off the debts of his father. Louisa has to choose between her dream of writing and the surprising feelings she has for this thoughtful boy.

Sorry, this book is tedious. I made the mistake of reading a biography of Ms. Alcott prior to reading this fictional account. It just made the whole book seem far-fetched and revisionist. The love affair seemed forced, sudden, and anachronistically modern. I just couldn't suspend my disbelief. ( )
  Juva | Mar 18, 2016 |
A hisorical fiction story about the author of Little Women (which I have not read yet) that takes place during the summer before she leaves her family behind and moves to Boston to persue a writing career. During this summer she may fall in love and questions whether she should give up her dream of freedom and independence for a lifetime of catering to needs of others as the life of a wife at the time would call for. Great read, strong characters and made me want to learn more about Louisa May Alcott and become familar with her writing. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |

Kelly O’Connor McNeesprimary authorall editionscalculated
McNees, Kelly O'Connormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Don't laugh at the spinsters, dear girls, for often very tender, tragical romances are hidden away in the hearts that beat so quietly under their sober gowns. -- Little Women
For my family
Louisa May Alcott approached the ticket window of the Boston passenger station clutching a large case and a black parasol.
Perhaps the particularities . . . hardly mattered; perhaps two strangers who stood together through life's long journey would find themselves in a kind of love at the end of it.
Life was so full of sorrow, and a body was a touchstone, a physical reminder that we are more than our grief, even if it owns us for a while.

In the bestselling tradition of Loving Frank and March comes a novel for anyone who loves Little Women.

Millions of readers have fallen in love with Little Women. But how could Louisa May Alcott-who never had a romance-write so convincingly of love and heart-break without experiencing it herself?

Deftly mixing fact and fiction, Kelly O'Connor McNees imagines a love affair that would threaten Louisa's writing career-and inspire the story of Jo and Laurie in Little Women. Stuck in small-town New Hampshire in 1855, Louisa finds herself torn between a love that takes her by surprise and her dream of independence as a writer in Boston. The choice she must make comes with a steep price that she will pay for the rest of her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

The beloved author begins a love affair that would threaten her writing career--and inspire the story of Jo and Laurie in "Little Women."

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kelly O’Connor McNees's book The Lost Summer of Lousia May Alcott was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Kelly O’Connor McNees is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,733,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible