Willoughby & the Moon by Greg Foley

Willoughby & the Moon (edition 2010)

by Greg Foley, Greg Foley (Illustrator)

Member:melodyreads
Title:Willoughby & the Moon
Authors:Greg Foley
Other authors:Greg Foley (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2010), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:friendship, courage, adventure, bedtime, moon story time

Willoughby & the Moon by Greg Foley

I liked " Willoughby and the Moon" by Greg Foley. The Ilustrations in this book are mixed media including actual moon maps, hand drawings, and computer generated pictures. I like the fact that the illustrations are black, white and sliver they emphasize the fact that Willoughby is imagining himself on the moon. They also cleverly accentuated the parts of the book where the author is describing Willoughby's fear of the dark as he does when he describes his hesitance to follow the snail into the cave. I liked that the book focuses on Willoughby's bravery as he encounters new adventures like the lunar buggy and spaceship but show that he still has this real fear of the darkness which he conquers through the snails help. The theme of this book is overcoming fear and I like the way the author reinforced this idea through the story of Willoughby's journey. ( )
  awhite43 | Mar 20, 2014 |
This book was very interesting. I loved the all-black pages to signify the darkness of Willoughby's room. His imagination runs wild as he runs around on the moon playing ball with giant snails. This is a great book for early readers to provoke imagination. I will buy a copy and read to my son because I think it's also a great beditme story and would help a young child not feel alone or afraid in the dark.
  JeniBenson | Mar 15, 2013 |
Boy helps snail be brave; snail returns the favor later. Black/white/silver book - ( )
  melodyreads | Nov 29, 2012 |
summary: A young boy, Willoughby can't see the moon one night and wonders where it is. He finds the moon in his closet with a giant snail on it. The snail has lost his ball and was on a mission to find it. Willoughby helps the snail by looking all over with him. They help eachother overcome fears along the way.

classroom connection: This book would be a great resource when teaching about the moon. It shows all kinda of things you can find on the moon while making it fun and exciting. Also this book shows that sometimes we are brave but sometimes we need out friends to be brave for us.
  ShelbyDietsch | Jun 10, 2012 |
Willoughby notices that the moon is shrinking each night. Willoughby goes to bed one night without the moon. He wakes up to find the moon is inside his closet. He goes into the moon and finds a snail looking for a ball. He helps the snail find his ball.

I enjoyed this book. The illustrations and design are a strength in this book. The entire book is printed in black, white, and silver creating the luminescence of the moon within the book. This book would be excellent for a read around during a unit on astrology. I think it would be an excellent anticipatory set. It could also be used during a unit on bravery or helping friends. ( )
  cassielanzas | Jun 10, 2012 |

When Willoughby Smith discovers a snail sitting atop the moon in his closet one night, the two help each other overcome their fears.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible