Mr. Peanut by Adam Ross

Mr. Peanut (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Adam Ross

Member:oboe2000
Title:Mr. Peanut
Authors:Adam Ross
Info:
Rating:***

Mr. Peanut by Adam Ross (2010)

English (47)  French (1)  All languages (48)
Finishing this darn book kept me up most of the night and I still can't coherently tell you whether I loved it or hated it. ( )
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
Not my usual genre to read, however, this was an extraordinary story of murder and mayhem that I really enjoyed. I think I was impressed with the handling of Ross's use of surrealism threaded through the book, from tropes of men feeling tiny in the company of women, imagining women larger than men, alluding to some of womens' powers, and mens' weanesses; to father abandonment issues as fear of family leadership, and mother and child deaths as anxiety over losing the sensitive mother side in the male child, bludgeoning of dogs, humans, imaginary and real...so very disturbing in parts, so very insightful in others. His handling of culture classes was informative from his standpoint as well, for example, how he voiced middle, lower, and upper classMEN, their specific issues of shame, pride, and reflections of themselves to themselves and their women.

While some may feel the female characters not fleshed out as much as the males, I think Ross made a point with that, mostly because he told a TYPE of story, the story of marital complexities from the perspective of men; his use of surrealism was descriptive of men who do NOT understand women, and whose issues about prowess and control are issues of great anxieties. I began to find myself wondering if I really knew MY husband. A good entertaining read. ( )
  socalnovelist | Jun 26, 2014 |

socalnovelist | Jun 26, 2014 |
Didn't like this one. ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
Three more miserable marriages would be hard to find; women are invariably portrayed negatively and unsympathetically; the use of obesity as some kind of symbolic marker for psychological health is off-putting; the whole insertion of an entirely different story smack in the middle makes no sense; and you can't tell when you're reading the story or one of the characters fantasies about the story. There's little to like. The author managed to create sense of suspense (although then ruins it by including a lecture defining it!) which was enough to get me to finish the book. I was so happy to be able to put it away. ( )
  TerriBooks | Nov 24, 2013 |

Adam Rossprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where am I in the web of jealousy that trembles at every human movement? What detectives we have to be.
-Harold Brodkey

I went back upstairs and looked at my wife and felt and checked her pulse on her neck and determined or thought that she was gone. I became or thought that I was disoriented and the victim of a bizarre dream.
- Dr. Sam Sheppard
For Beth
When David Pepin first thought of killing his wife, he didn't kill her himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 030727070X, Hardcover)

David Pepin has been in love with his wife, Alice, since the moment they met in a university seminar on Alfred Hitchcock. After thirteen years of marriage, he still can’t imagine a remotely happy life without her—yet he obsessively contemplates her demise. Soon she is dead, and David is both deeply distraught and the prime suspect.

The detectives investigating Alice’s suspicious death have plenty of personal experience with conjugal enigmas: Ward Hastroll is happily married until his wife inexplicably becomes voluntarily and militantly bedridden; and Sam Sheppard is especially sensitive to the intricacies of marital guilt and innocence, having decades before been convicted and then exonerated of the brutal murder of his wife.

Still, these men are in the business of figuring things out, even as Pepin’s role in Alice’s death grows ever more confounding when they link him to a highly unusual hit man called Mobius. Like the Escher drawings that inspire the computer games David designs for a living, these complex, interlocking dramas are structurally and emotionally intense, subtle, and intriguing; they brilliantly explore the warring impulses of affection and hatred, and pose a host of arresting questions. Is it possible to know anyone fully, completely? Are murder and marriage two sides of the same coin, each endlessly recycling into the other? And what, in the end, is the truth about love?

Mesmerizing, exhilarating, and profoundly moving, Mr. Peanut is a police procedural of the soul, a poignant investigation of the relentlessly mysterious human heart—and a first novel of the highest order.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:52 -0400)

A police procedural of the soul, a poignant investigation of the relentlessly mysterious human heart. After thirteen years of marriage, David can't imagine a happy life without Alice -- yet he obsessively contemplates her demise. When she dies, David is both deeply distraught and the prime suspect.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,381,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible