Mr. Peanut by Adam Ross

Mr. Peanut (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Adam Ross

Member:oboe2000
Title:Mr. Peanut
Authors:Adam Ross
Info:Knopf, 2010 (2010), Edition: First Edition, First Printing, Hardcover
Rating:***

Mr. Peanut by Adam Ross (2010)

English (51)  French (1)  All languages (52)
I am going to simply plagarize and re-quote what another review said because it was so right on:

"For a first time author, this is an extremely ambitious book. Full of misdirection, suspense and mystery. The book has some pretty profound things to say about human companionship and marriage.

I was left remembering that our own lives are made up of the banal. That if you can't appreciate the boring tedium of everyday life with someone then you can't really appreciate them at all. Life is not full of excitement and passion. Well, sometimes it is. But if you live constantly trying to create drama or excitement in your relationships you'll never by happy.

"'The middle is long and hard'"

Never the less, the book is a scorcher. Ross has really tried to make an impressive piece of art. While some elements are lacking, its impossible to not be impressed with the sheer balls (balls being the right term, this is a supremely male-voiced book to be sure) it takes to write something like this."

Well worth the effort to get through a few of the "middle spots". At the end I was so glad I didn't give up to the "banal". ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
I am wading through this tedious book. The storyline between David and Alice in the beginning proved interesting; however, the interwoven story of Dr. Sam Shepherd and his wife, Marilyn, has proven uninteresting and boring. I will read on to the end, just because some reviewers are giving this 5 stars. Will give it my rating then.

I'm giving it 3 stars for the writing; however I didn't finish it. I just lost interest 2/3rds of the way through. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |

Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
Audible. Now this is a weirdly wonderful and troubling book. Too often overt nods to the likes of Italo Calvino and Escher are sure signs that a book will be tedious and full of self-importance. This books manages to be playful, fun but also troubling and even weirdly hopeful. Begins with the voice of a husband fantasizing about killing his wife. Weaves back and forth in time. Turns out the husband is writing a book and eventually we discover that the first sentence of his book is the first sentence of Mr. Peanut. Things become increasing difficult to tie down. The wife eventually dies (maybe?) by eating a peanut (lethal allergies). Is it murder? Is it suicide? Detectives turn out to be a man also fantasizing about killing his wife and Sam Shepherd the famous maybe wife killer from the 50s. The middle of the book is a very good telling of the story of Shepherd and his wife. Definitely from a male point of view. Women just don't make sense in this book. But I was increasingly fascinated as I listened. And not disappointed through the end (or multiple endings, you choose) of the book. ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
dark, dark, dark, and at times outright frightening - i got so wrapped up in this book that i think it gave me nightmares. Ross' story of troubled marriages and suspected murders is a long walk through a haunted forest. exhilarating, but you're not sure exactly who, if anyone, makes it out alive. ( )
  cyrenitis | Dec 2, 2015 |

Adam Rossprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where am I in the web of jealousy that trembles at every human movement? What detectives we have to be.
-Harold Brodkey

I went back upstairs and looked at my wife and felt and checked her pulse on her neck and determined or thought that she was gone. I became or thought that I was disoriented and the victim of a bizarre dream.
- Dr. Sam Sheppard
For Beth
When David Pepin first thought of killing his wife, he didn't kill her himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 030727070X, Hardcover)

David Pepin has been in love with his wife, Alice, since the moment they met in a university seminar on Alfred Hitchcock. After thirteen years of marriage, he still can’t imagine a remotely happy life without her—yet he obsessively contemplates her demise. Soon she is dead, and David is both deeply distraught and the prime suspect.

The detectives investigating Alice’s suspicious death have plenty of personal experience with conjugal enigmas: Ward Hastroll is happily married until his wife inexplicably becomes voluntarily and militantly bedridden; and Sam Sheppard is especially sensitive to the intricacies of marital guilt and innocence, having decades before been convicted and then exonerated of the brutal murder of his wife.

Still, these men are in the business of figuring things out, even as Pepin’s role in Alice’s death grows ever more confounding when they link him to a highly unusual hit man called Mobius. Like the Escher drawings that inspire the computer games David designs for a living, these complex, interlocking dramas are structurally and emotionally intense, subtle, and intriguing; they brilliantly explore the warring impulses of affection and hatred, and pose a host of arresting questions. Is it possible to know anyone fully, completely? Are murder and marriage two sides of the same coin, each endlessly recycling into the other? And what, in the end, is the truth about love?

Mesmerizing, exhilarating, and profoundly moving, Mr. Peanut is a police procedural of the soul, a poignant investigation of the relentlessly mysterious human heart—and a first novel of the highest order.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:57 -0400)

A police procedural of the soul, a poignant investigation of the relentlessly mysterious human heart. After thirteen years of marriage, David can't imagine a happy life without Alice -- yet he obsessively contemplates her demise. When she dies, David is both deeply distraught and the prime suspect.… (more)

122 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,756,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible