Mr. Peanut by Adam Ross

Mr. Peanut (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Adam Ross

526None19,099 (3.16)45
Member:oboe2000
Title:Mr. Peanut
Authors:Adam Ross
Info:Knopf, 2010 (2010), Edition: First Edition, First Printing, Hardcover
Rating:***

Mr. Peanut by Adam Ross (2010)

English (44)  French (1)  All languages (45)
Didn't like this one. ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
Three more miserable marriages would be hard to find; women are invariably portrayed negatively and unsympathetically; the use of obesity as some kind of symbolic marker for psychological health is off-putting; the whole insertion of an entirely different story smack in the middle makes no sense; and you can't tell when you're reading the story or one of the characters fantasies about the story. There's little to like. The author managed to create sense of suspense (although then ruins it by including a lecture defining it!) which was enough to get me to finish the book. I was so happy to be able to put it away. ( )
  TerriBooks | Nov 24, 2013 |
This was the stupidest book I have ever wasted time reading!! And I read the whole thing hoping for something to start or maybe it would have a great ending but noooo it just ended. The story had no point or purpose. ( )
  twokidsnablanket | Nov 2, 2013 |
The whole time I was reading this book I kept thinking, "Wow, this author really hates women!" The female characters in this book were of two types; the closed off, prissy wives and the lovely, sexually adventurous mistresses. They were completely one dimensional. However, the men were equally flawed. (And frustrating, at least from a female reader's point of of view.) I read this because it was said to be similar to Gilian Flynn's Gone Girl, which I loved. This book was nowhere near the caliber of the nuanced, chilling Gone Girl, but it was well written (expect for the characters) and it kept me turning the pages to see what happened next, so I didn't feel like it was a waste of time, and it was somewhat entertaining. ( )
  lisan. | Oct 4, 2013 |
Whoa, damn.

More later....possibly. ( )
  dtn620 | Sep 22, 2013 |
Where am I in the web of jealousy that trembles at every human movement? What detectives we have to be.
-Harold Brodkey

I went back upstairs and looked at my wife and felt and checked her pulse on her neck and determined or thought that she was gone. I became or thought that I was disoriented and the victim of a bizarre dream.
- Dr. Sam Sheppard
For Beth
When David Pepin first thought of killing his wife, he didn't kill her himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 030727070X, Hardcover)

David Pepin has been in love with his wife, Alice, since the moment they met in a university seminar on Alfred Hitchcock. After thirteen years of marriage, he still can’t imagine a remotely happy life without her—yet he obsessively contemplates her demise. Soon she is dead, and David is both deeply distraught and the prime suspect.

The detectives investigating Alice’s suspicious death have plenty of personal experience with conjugal enigmas: Ward Hastroll is happily married until his wife inexplicably becomes voluntarily and militantly bedridden; and Sam Sheppard is especially sensitive to the intricacies of marital guilt and innocence, having decades before been convicted and then exonerated of the brutal murder of his wife.

Still, these men are in the business of figuring things out, even as Pepin’s role in Alice’s death grows ever more confounding when they link him to a highly unusual hit man called Mobius. Like the Escher drawings that inspire the computer games David designs for a living, these complex, interlocking dramas are structurally and emotionally intense, subtle, and intriguing; they brilliantly explore the warring impulses of affection and hatred, and pose a host of arresting questions. Is it possible to know anyone fully, completely? Are murder and marriage two sides of the same coin, each endlessly recycling into the other? And what, in the end, is the truth about love?

Mesmerizing, exhilarating, and profoundly moving, Mr. Peanut is a police procedural of the soul, a poignant investigation of the relentlessly mysterious human heart—and a first novel of the highest order.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:52 -0400)

A police procedural of the soul, a poignant investigation of the relentlessly mysterious human heart. After thirteen years of marriage, David can't imagine a happy life without Alice -- yet he obsessively contemplates her demise. When she dies, David is both deeply distraught and the prime suspect.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible