Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

I Kissed the Baby! by Mary Murphy

I Kissed the Baby! (2003)

by Mary Murphy

I Kissed the Baby! is a very sweet picture book about people- or rather, animals- being excited for a new born baby. This is a great book to teach kids how to act around and be excited about a new baby in the family. The illustrations practically fly off the page with excitement, which is illustrated with the use of very large images and fonts as well as highly contrasting colors- mostly black and white. Some of the illustrations can be a bit too hard on the eyes in my opinion, but otherwise I think the message is great! ( )
  Jacki_H | Sep 15, 2016 |
A sweet alternative to Tana Hoban's Black & White books, this one has just enough text to make a plot: various animals see, feed, tickle, sing to, and kiss the baby. A great gift for new parents and the high-contrast black and white illustrations, with just a touch of color, are great for babies. ( )
  JennyArch | Jul 15, 2016 |
I liked this book because it reminded me of how I was when my little sister was born. Everyone was so excited to meet her and hold her. In the book, it shows how every animal is excited to meet the new baby that has just arrived. ( )
  krausch | Mar 3, 2015 |
This is another simple text that describes the story through repeating lines that are questions. This book would be a great mentor text for students in Kindergarten or First grade, as the plot is very basic and directed towards a younger audience. I enjoyed the story as it framed around the excitement and enthusiasm for a baby--and how people react and engage the new child.
1 vote betcherC | Dec 11, 2013 |
Babies to 4 year olds.

There’s a new baby in town, and the word is spreading from animal to animal. Fish, mammals, birds and bugs all clamor to tell how they saw, tickled, and sang to baby.

The satisfying, repetitive rhythm of this board book will enchant young listeners. Each new page spread consists of a statement, the statement turned into a question, and finally the confirmation of that question by a new character: “I sang to the baby. Did you sing to the baby?/Yes, I sang to the baby, and the baby sang to me.”

The animals in the book are illustrated in bold black-and-white block shapes, reminiscent of woodcuts. The eyes and smiles of the animals are focal points, emphasizing their expressions of wonder and delight over the baby. While some children may be deterred by the limited use of color in the book, others will giggle and smile about these stylized, jolly animals.

The book ends with a big, noisy smooch between parent duck and baby duckling. Your baby or toddler will love acting out a big raspberry kiss with you for the finale. Pick up this book for its themes of celebration, community, and parent-child bonding. Recommended. ( )
1 vote Rachel.Seltz | Oct 7, 2013 |
To my sister, Catherine
Mouse: "I kissed the baby! Did you kiss the baby?"
Mother Duck: "Of course I kissed the baby, my own amazing baby."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0763624438, Board book)

Finally -- the perfect first book for baby is available in board!

"I saw the baby!
Did you see the baby?"
"Yes! I saw the baby, the teeny weeny thing."

It's so exciting! News of the baby is buzzing from animal to animal, with each one -- fish, bird, squirrel, insect, frog -- boasting of seeing, feeding, singing to, tickling, and kissing the tiny little thing. With bold, graphic black-and-white illustrations, Mary Murphy's simple, singsong story captures the giddy commotion that only a baby can bring.

"An animal cast so elated that they seem on the verge of jumping into readers' laps. . . . The high-contrast pictures and exclamatory text are guaranteed eye and ear magnets for the littlest ones." -- PUBLISHERS WEEKLY (starred review)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

Various animals tell how they saw, fed, sang to, tickled, and kissed the new duckling.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,484,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible