Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

Magic Study (edition 2006)

by Maria V. Snyder (Author)

1,947None3,487 (4.02)99
Member:keristars
Title:Magic Study
Authors:Maria V. Snyder (Author)
Info:LUNA books (Harlequin imprint) (2006); ebook edition, 327pp
Collections:Books I own
Rating:***
Tags:21st century, fiction, ya, fantasy, magic, form:e-book, series, series:study, pov:first-person

Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

2007 (8) 2010 (7) adventure (31) assassins (21) audiobook (7) ebook (25) family (12) fantasy (423) fantasy fiction (9) fiction (118) hardcover (8) high fantasy (7) library (13) magic (134) maria v. snyder (8) own (13) poison (11) read (33) read in 2008 (7) romance (86) series (44) sff (15) signed (7) study (21) study series (28) to-read (40) unread (8) YA (30) Yelena (7) young adult (39)

I really like this series, though I hope the next book has a different plot from Yelena acts in a foolhardy manner and gets kidnapped by someone who hates her (why does everyone hate her so much?), but escapes because she's awesome. That happened an awful lot in this book. I also want more Valek because, well, he's Valek. ( )
  Cailiosa | Mar 4, 2014 |
I really like where the author is taking the story. The first part was a little slow, but it got better once all the good characters came back. Can't wait to see how it ends. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
*Originally Reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank*

As soon as I finished reading the first book, Study of Poison, I ran to the library to get my hands on this book. I just had to know how the story continued. After a couple of pages, it was obvious that I, once again, had found a real page-turner! I even took it with me when I went to visit my sister, so I could continue to read. It was so hard to put this book down! Maria V. Snyder has yet again managed to write a captivating story about a most intriguing world. This time you’ll get to discover the South. To Sitia, the place where Yelena was born and magic has not been banned. No, instead it is embraced and encouraged. However, something is wrong. A ruthless murderer is on the loose, leaving lifeless bodies of young girls in his wake. Then there is Cahil, the cousin of the dethroned king of Ixia…

Despite everything thrown her way, Yelena stood tall, but sometimes took on too much. She was also focused too much on fixing things by herself. I understand that for years she has been on her own and that her trust was shattered and stomped on. Still, not everyone is out to be your enemy. Sometimes it comes in handy to share things cause some people might know more than you. So why not tell them? The worse that could happen is one scary and life threatening situation less, so why not go for it?

Notwithstanding Yelena’s behavior at times, it was a delight to discover new characters and re-acquaint the old. I was especially happy to see Janca and Ari, Yelena’s “big brothers”, again. Their antics always make me smile. While reading, though, I noticed something: we hardly get a detailed description of the characters. At first I thought I must have missed them, but with every new character Yelena encounters there was still no description. Even though my mind has already created an image, I’d still like to have some handles, something more than the most beautiful blue eyes she’s ever seen or a bunch of blond curls.

I also noted that I could not really feel the connection, the emotional bonds between the characters. There are not many words spent on describing the emotions Yelena feels, the focus here is more on the adventure. A vast difference between all the Young Adult and New Adult books I’ve read, where feelings are THE most important thing. It’s not annoying, though, just different. Still, at some points I totally wished I could see a bit of her real feelings. It felt a bit dull now (I think you understand WHICH scenes I’m talking about don’t you? *wiggles eye brows*).

Conclusion

4 HEARTS. Although it looks like I did not enjoy the book much, with my focus on less stellar moments, as I said in the beginning, I LOVED reading this book! Yelena continues being an amazing and strong woman, who is not afraid to make her hands dirty. She has some control and trust issues, but she’s learning to cope with them ^^ It was great to return to my beloved characters and meeting new ones. There are some things I noticed, like the lack of a detailed character description, but they did not have any influence at all on the joy I felt while reading. Therefore I can heartily recommend this book to anyone who likes a good adventure with a strong female lead. Now on to the next book! ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Dec 22, 2013 |
It's been a while since a fantasy book has caught my attention as completely as Magic Study. I finished this book in two days, so anxious was I to know how the story ended.

In this second book of the Study trilogy we find Yelena on her way to Sitia, land of the magicians and her place of birth. There, she faces new challenges that go from meeting her family and learning to control her magic, to trying to catch a serial killer that tortures it's victims.

The characters from the first book are back, new ones are introduced and still, Maria V. Snyder manages a flawless characterization and character development. Again, world-building is secondary, although we can see that Sitia is not unlike a western democracy in some points.

Overall this book has just the right amount of mystery, romance and action. The author succeeds again in captivating the reader from the beginning to the end of the book. Highly recommended! ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
I'm conflicted... On one hand, I liked it. On the other hand... It annoyed me. There was one big character inconsistency that drove me nuts: Valek. I don't know if it was just me, but he seemed so much more... Immature. Reckless. Annoying. His actions and dialog seemed out of character for the man that I got to know in Poison Study.

*******SPOILERS for Poison Study*******

I swear to god, every single sentence spoken by Valek to Yelena ended with him calling her "love." Every single one. I get it, he loves her... But it just seemed weird to me! "Pass the potatoes, love." "I don't think we're going to make it, love." "Well hello there, love." It made him seem like some cheesy wannabe. Valek is supposed to be hard, confident, efficient, professional, but also a little soft for the woman he loves. I'm sorry, calling her "love" after every.single.sentence. is more than just a little soft.. It's downright squishy.

*******END OF SPOILERS for Poison Study*******

Despite my issues with Valek, it was still a fun read... For the most part. Pretty predictable... Problem crops up, Yelana defies authority, she's probably caught and tortured, magic saves her, rinse and repeat. Pretty much the same as Poison Study, but this time Yelana thinks she's the end all be all, best there is out there, despite having approximately a week of training compared to five years that normal students get.

I'm making this sound worse than it is. It's really not that bad, I still rated it three stars, and I'd still recommend giving it a go if you liked Poison Study. Just saying... It's not perfect, so don't expect perfection. It's predictable, semi-repetitive, and yet somehow still enjoyable. I'll still read the third book, Fire Study, but I need a break before starting it. ( )
1 vote breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
To my children, Luke and Jenna, a constant source of inspiration and love. You both are truly magical.

In loving memory of Anthony Foster.
"We're here," Irys said.
My Story Weaver had to be laughing his blue ass off right now.
-Yelena

Yelena is on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago. Although she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways, and her newfound friends and relatives don't think it's for the better. Despite the turmoil, she's eager to start her magical training. But her plans take a radical turn when she becomes involved with a plot to reclaim Ixia's throne for a lost prince, and gets entangled in powerful rivalries with her fellow magicians. If that wasn't bad enough, it appears her brother would love to see her dead. Luckily, Yelena has some old friends to help her with her new enemies.

So far, I've managed to survive. You would think after being kidnapped as a child, imprisoned in my teens and released to become a poison taster, I would have endured enough. But no. The discovery of my magical abilities—powers forbidden in Ixia—has resulted in an execution order. My only chance is to flee to Sitia, my long-lost birthplace.

But Sitia is unfamiliar. I'm treated like an enemy—even by my own brother. Plus I can't control my powers. I want to learn about my magic, but there isn't time. A rogue magician has emerged and I'm targeted as his next victim.

Will my magical abilities save me…or be my downfall?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:04 -0400)

The second novel in Snyder's Study series. After saving the Commander's life, Yelena is set free to get her magic under control or be destroyed by the other wizards for disrupting the order of things.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,500,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible