Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

Magic Study (edition 2006)

by Maria V. Snyder

2,1861192,970 (4)104
Member:keristars
Title:Magic Study
Authors:Maria V. Snyder (Author)
Info:LUNA books (Harlequin imprint) (2006); ebook edition, 327pp
Collections:Books I own
Rating:***
Tags:21st century, fiction, ya, fantasy, magic, form:e-book, series, series:study, pov:first-person

Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

Truly in love with anything Maria V Snyder. In the second "Study Series", so many new developments. There is the biggest, which is the simple fact that Yelena is, in essence, banished from Ixia due to her magic. Valek remains fiercely loyal to the commander so he is still in Ixia, but Yelena is plenty busy.
Yelena is finally reunited with her family. To be honest, I truly could not stand Leif and first. As if it is her fault for everything that happened to her and her family since she was kidnapped.
There is a new totally deviously, horrid, and twisted new villain. Women are being kidnapped, tortured, raped and then killed. Yelena is drafted/ volunteers to help one girl ends up in the Keep Medical wing. When she comes to discover what the villains motives are, she is determined to race against time and stop him.
A wonderful conclusion to the book comes about, despite the fact that Cahil declares himself a mortal enemy to Valek and Yelena. Much to come in the next installment to the series, Fire Study. ( )
  bookharpy | Apr 19, 2016 |
Yelena is at it again, this time in Sitia, a place where she can practice her magic in safety - or can she? It seems that wherever she goes, Yelena is smack in the middle of trouble - and trouble likes to find her.

Warning - This book has strong rape themes and triggers, and may not for all readers.

Read the full review here:
https://ermareads.wordpress.com/novel-novels-2/magic-study/ ( )
  Ermina | Feb 25, 2016 |
ÛÏMagic Study‰Û continues to follow the adventures of Yelena, the apprentice magician. Back in Sitia with her family, Yelena manages to find herself in all sorts of situations where her life is at risk.

In a completely different world with new characters, adventures and magic, this book failed to captivate me in the way ‰ÛÏPoison Study‰Û did. Sadly, the wonderful relationship between Yelena and Valek is missing. Whilst Yelena remains the feisty heroine of the first book, Yalek‰Ûªs character is severely lacking. In ‰ÛÏPoison Study‰Û he was a fabulous hero, but in this book he has been robbed of the humour, strength and passion that made him so attractive originally. He only appears in the second half of the book and is too syrupy sweet for my liking.

However, despite my disappointment in "Magic Study" I intend to read the final book in the series in the hope that it delivers in the same way as the first book did. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Cover: ★★

Book: ★★★¾

My Review:

I felt that the cover of this particular copy could have used a bit of help. This is a continuation of the Study series (book 2) to be exact. In this story Yelena has made it safely back to her family in Sitia, but meeting her family is more difficult than she anticipated. She makes her way to the Citadel where the other magicians reside and finds herself once again the outcast of the situation. I really didn’t like Cahil’s character, he seemed a little silly but maybe Snyder is setting the scene for a huge upset in the next book in the series. I guess I will find out soon. Overall it was a good book but I like the first book in the series the best so far.
  Precious_Books | Jan 16, 2016 |
Truly in love with anything Maria V Snyder right now. In the second "Study Series", so many new developments. The biggest development, is the simple fact that Yelena is, in essence, banished from Ixia due to her magic. Valek remains fiercely loyal to the commander so he is still in Ixia, but Yelena is plenty busy.
  bookharpy | Dec 15, 2015 |

Maria V. Snyderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hefferman, PhilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zackman, GabraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my children, Luke and Jenna, a constant source of inspiration and love. You both are truly magical.

In loving memory of Anthony Foster.
"We're here," Irys said.
My Story Weaver had to be laughing his blue ass off right now.
-Yelena

Yelena is on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago. Although she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways, and her newfound friends and relatives don't think it's for the better. Despite the turmoil, she's eager to start her magical training. But her plans take a radical turn when she becomes involved with a plot to reclaim Ixia's throne for a lost prince, and gets entangled in powerful rivalries with her fellow magicians. If that wasn't bad enough, it appears her brother would love to see her dead. Luckily, Yelena has some old friends to help her with her new enemies.

So far, I've managed to survive. You would think after being kidnapped as a child, imprisoned in my teens and released to become a poison taster, I would have endured enough. But no. The discovery of my magical abilities—powers forbidden in Ixia—has resulted in an execution order. My only chance is to flee to Sitia, my long-lost birthplace.

But Sitia is unfamiliar. I'm treated like an enemy—even by my own brother. Plus I can't control my powers. I want to learn about my magic, but there isn't time. A rogue magician has emerged and I'm targeted as his next victim.

Will my magical abilities save me…or be my downfall?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:43 -0400)

The second novel in Snyder's Study series. After saving the Commander's life, Yelena is set free to get her magic under control or be destroyed by the other wizards for disrupting the order of things.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible