Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

Magic Study (edition 2006)

by Maria V. Snyder

Title:Magic Study
Authors:Maria V. Snyder (Author)
Info:LUNA books (Harlequin imprint) (2006); ebook edition, 327pp
Collections:Books I own
Tags:21st century, fiction, ya, fantasy, magic, form:e-book, series, series:study, pov:first-person

Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

I'll quote my review of the first book in this series verbatim: "This won't be a very helpful review because not a really specific reason for enjoying this series so much. It's just a very good, engrossing story with a main heroine you can get into. It's set in a fantasy world and written for adults versus the YA genre author also writes for (although by adult I don't mean too graphic, violent or explicit for YA audience to enjoy just that it's not geared to YA and full of teenage angst and love triangles). The world building/fantasy aspect not mindblowing so much as the characers but somewhat original and fleshed out enough to make the story work. Author avoided taking a formulaic route with plot/characters (a common pitfall when you take the alone-in-the-world, sad background, mistreated, whatever protagonist)." ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Another good novel by Maria V. Snyder. I have to say that i preferred the plot in "Poison Study" better. It was more sinister, more mature. The beginning was my favorite. Who wouldn't like a family who lives in trees? My imagination just went wild on that one. :)

Leif..Oh my God, Leif. I wanted to punch him in the face so many times.

The story developed rapidly, that is one of the things i really like about Snyder's writing. There aren't dull patches anywhere.

I didn't like Rose, the First Magician, she came across as a mean cheerleader. She got upset over each and every single thing, and was always promising some kind of retribution.Kept seeing this in my mind..

And Valek, ooooh Valek... You just have to love Valek. He is a special type of alpha male. You just know that no matter what the situation is, he is going to whip out some badassery to save the day.
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
*2015 Reading Challenge* A trilogy

Antes que nada, miren que linda representación de Yelena y Valek:

(Lo saqué de acá)

La trama fue mucho más interesante que la del primer libro, los personajes mucho más complejos y sus personalidades bien distintas entre ellas.

La construcción del universo mágico y sus correspondientes políticas fue, también, muchísimo mejor explicada y definida, más fácil de entender que en la primera entrega.

Sus fallas tienen más que ver con mi propia "química" con la historia que con defectos reales en su desarrollo. Por momentos se me hizo tedioso y lento, difícil de conectar con lo que pasaba. No obstante, mi propia insistencia por no abandonar me ayudó a seguir y, finalmente, me terminé enganchando de nuevo.

Muy bueno. Un sólido 4
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |

*Book source ~ Purchased from Audible

Guest Reviewers
A ~ My 17-yr-old daughter
T ~ My 15-yr-old son
K ~ My 14-yr-old son

Yelena has vanquished her enemies and is on her way to Sitia to meet the family she doesn’t remember and learn how to control her magic. But growing up in Ixia and being the Commander’s food taster has made her ways strange and suspicious to the people of Sitia. Still, she perseveres. However, soon she is embroiled in a bad situation and must use her newfound abilities, her new friends and the unexpected arrival of old friends to get ahead of the game. And stay alive. Will her life ever be simple?

While not as rousing as the first book, this story has a decent plot with a new world, new enemies, new friends and an appearance of old friends. Everyone still likes Yelena and Valek is still a favorite. Though T said Yelena and Valek having sex all the time is bad. I had to laugh because they aren’t doing it like bunnies. In fact, it’s closed door, not described at all and it’s only a few times. It’s just the fact that when Valek is around they do what couples in love do especially since they’ve been separated for months, but it’s not to the detriment of the plot. LOL Anyway, the magic is fascinating and the Sitia world is interesting. We all loved having the Power Twins back for a bit and the addition of horses is cool. T & K love that the horses call Valek “Ghost.” An apt name indeed. No one likes Yelena’s brother Leif. I agree that he’s an ass though by the end of the book he’s a bit better. T likes Yelena’s dad Esau because he knows so much cool stuff about the jungle. And everyone wants Cahil to die. That would be nice. We’re looking forward to book 3, Fire Study.

Favorite quotes:

“Pushing magic toward the candle, I willed it to light. Nothing happened.
Irys made a strangled sound and the candle burned. “Are you directing your magic to the candle?”
“Yes. Why?”
“You just ordered me to light the candle for you,” Irys said in exasperation. “And I did it.”
“I gave him a bored look. I had been threatened many times before and had learned that the men who didn’t make verbal threats were the most dangerous.”
“Of course, you didn't want our help. Now I have to go beat up some soldier just to keep my ego intact.” ( )
  AVoraciousReader | May 27, 2015 |
That’s part two of the Yelana Zaltana trilogy read. Much like its predecessor: fun, fast paced and a few good twists to keep it interesting. I have but one complaint though. There is an instance where the characters are searching through a citadel and the distance is given in blocks (twice). Now, if you are an American, living in a city that would be fine, except most of the world are not. The real issue with this measurement is that it is so out of place it spoils the moment. That aside this is a very worthy sequel / continuation as it picks up right where the last one left off.
I shall now go and read the last one in the series: Fire Study.
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |
To my children, Luke and Jenna, a constant source of inspiration and love. You both are truly magical.

In loving memory of Anthony Foster.
"We're here," Irys said.
My Story Weaver had to be laughing his blue ass off right now.

Yelena is on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago. Although she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways, and her newfound friends and relatives don't think it's for the better. Despite the turmoil, she's eager to start her magical training. But her plans take a radical turn when she becomes involved with a plot to reclaim Ixia's throne for a lost prince, and gets entangled in powerful rivalries with her fellow magicians. If that wasn't bad enough, it appears her brother would love to see her dead. Luckily, Yelena has some old friends to help her with her new enemies.

So far, I've managed to survive. You would think after being kidnapped as a child, imprisoned in my teens and released to become a poison taster, I would have endured enough. But no. The discovery of my magical abilities—powers forbidden in Ixia—has resulted in an execution order. My only chance is to flee to Sitia, my long-lost birthplace.

But Sitia is unfamiliar. I'm treated like an enemy—even by my own brother. Plus I can't control my powers. I want to learn about my magic, but there isn't time. A rogue magician has emerged and I'm targeted as his next victim.

Will my magical abilities save me…or be my downfall?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:43 -0400)

The second novel in Snyder's Study series. After saving the Commander's life, Yelena is set free to get her magic under control or be destroyed by the other wizards for disrupting the order of things.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,879,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible