Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

Magic Study (edition 2006)

by Maria V. Snyder

2,2341202,880 (4)107
Member:keristars
Title:Magic Study
Authors:Maria V. Snyder (Author)
Info:LUNA books (Harlequin imprint) (2006); ebook edition, 327pp
Collections:Books I own
Rating:***
Tags:21st century, fiction, ya, fantasy, magic, form:e-book, series, series:study, pov:first-person

Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

English (120)  Dutch (1)  All languages (121)
Magic Study
4 Stars

Exiled from Ixia, Yelena travels to Sitia for a reunion with her family. Unfortunately, things aren’t all rosy as Yelena soon finds herself struggling with the difficulties of getting to know parents who are virtual strangers and a brother who resents her return. Upon beginning her studies at the Citadel, Yelena learns some troubling truths about her magic and a sadistic serial killer sets his sights on her. As she becomes embroiled in an age old struggle against evil, Yelena’s strength and ability will be put to the test.

As with the first book in the series, Magic Study contains harsh themes including rape and torture. As such, it might not be suitable for younger or impressionable readers despite its apparent categorization as Young Adult.

While not as fast paced or original (not unexpected as this is a sequel) as Poison Study, Yelena is an engaging and resourceful heroine, and accompanying her as she begins her magical training and investigates a series of brutal crimes is quite entertaining. She does seem to get ambushed, kidnapped, tortured and beaten several times and one hope she would be more careful but apparently not...

The secondary characters are an interesting mix from Yelena’s agoraphobic mother and obnoxious brother to the arrogant heir to Ixia’s throne and the enterprising street urchin who comes to Yelena’s aid on more than one occasion. There are also other more familiar faces: the Commander is as enigmatic as ever and Yelena’s camaraderie with Ari and Jenco is wonderful. It is, however, disappointing that Valek takes his time putting an appearance, but he is ultimately well worth the wait and things heat up in more ways than one upon his arrival.

One a final note, Gabra Zackman's narration is very good although she does sound older than Yelena's 20 years. Nevertheless, this doesn't bother me as Yelena is very mature for her age.

All in all, an enjoyable installment and I look forward to continuing with the series particularly as Snyder is planning additional books. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Truly in love with anything Maria V Snyder. In the second "Study Series", so many new developments. There is the biggest, which is the simple fact that Yelena is, in essence, banished from Ixia due to her magic. Valek remains fiercely loyal to the commander so he is still in Ixia, but Yelena is plenty busy.
Yelena is finally reunited with her family. To be honest, I truly could not stand Leif and first. As if it is her fault for everything that happened to her and her family since she was kidnapped.
There is a new totally deviously, horrid, and twisted new villain. Women are being kidnapped, tortured, raped and then killed. Yelena is drafted/ volunteers to help one girl ends up in the Keep Medical wing. When she comes to discover what the villains motives are, she is determined to race against time and stop him.
A wonderful conclusion to the book comes about, despite the fact that Cahil declares himself a mortal enemy to Valek and Yelena. Much to come in the next installment to the series, Fire Study. ( )
  bookharpy | Apr 19, 2016 |
Yelena is at it again, this time in Sitia, a place where she can practice her magic in safety - or can she? It seems that wherever she goes, Yelena is smack in the middle of trouble - and trouble likes to find her.

Warning - This book has strong rape themes and triggers, and may not for all readers.

Read the full review here:
https://ermareads.wordpress.com/novel-novels-2/magic-study/ ( )
  Ermina | Feb 25, 2016 |
"Magic Study" continues to follow the adventures of Yelena, the apprentice magician. Back in Sitia with her family, Yelena manages to find herself in all sorts of situations where her life is at risk.

In a completely different world with new characters, adventures and magic, this book failed to captivate me in the way "Poison Study" did. Sadly, the wonderful relationship between Yelena and Valek is missing. Whilst Yelena remains the feisty heroine of the first book, Yalek's character is severely lacking. In "Poison Study" he was a fabulous hero, but in this book he has been robbed of the humour, strength and passion that made him so attractive originally. He only appears in the second half of the book and is too syrupy sweet for my liking.

However, despite my disappointment in "Magic Study" I intend to read the final book in the series in the hope that it delivers in the same way as the first book did. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Cover: ★★

Book: ★★★¾

My Review:

I felt that the cover of this particular copy could have used a bit of help. This is a continuation of the Study series (book 2) to be exact. In this story Yelena has made it safely back to her family in Sitia, but meeting her family is more difficult than she anticipated. She makes her way to the Citadel where the other magicians reside and finds herself once again the outcast of the situation. I really didn’t like Cahil’s character, he seemed a little silly but maybe Snyder is setting the scene for a huge upset in the next book in the series. I guess I will find out soon. Overall it was a good book but I like the first book in the series the best so far.
  Precious_Books | Jan 16, 2016 |

Maria V. Snyderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hefferman, PhilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zackman, GabraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my children, Luke and Jenna, a constant source of inspiration and love. You both are truly magical.

In loving memory of Anthony Foster.
"We're here," Irys said.
My Story Weaver had to be laughing his blue ass off right now.
-Yelena

Yelena is on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago. Although she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways, and her newfound friends and relatives don't think it's for the better. Despite the turmoil, she's eager to start her magical training. But her plans take a radical turn when she becomes involved with a plot to reclaim Ixia's throne for a lost prince, and gets entangled in powerful rivalries with her fellow magicians. If that wasn't bad enough, it appears her brother would love to see her dead. Luckily, Yelena has some old friends to help her with her new enemies.

So far, I've managed to survive. You would think after being kidnapped as a child, imprisoned in my teens and released to become a poison taster, I would have endured enough. But no. The discovery of my magical abilities—powers forbidden in Ixia—has resulted in an execution order. My only chance is to flee to Sitia, my long-lost birthplace.

But Sitia is unfamiliar. I'm treated like an enemy—even by my own brother. Plus I can't control my powers. I want to learn about my magic, but there isn't time. A rogue magician has emerged and I'm targeted as his next victim.

Will my magical abilities save me…or be my downfall?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:43 -0400)

The second novel in Snyder's Study series. After saving the Commander's life, Yelena is set free to get her magic under control or be destroyed by the other wizards for disrupting the order of things.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,181,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible