Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

Magic Study (edition 2006)

by Maria V. Snyder

2,0701143,205 (4)104
Member:keristars
Title:Magic Study
Authors:Maria V. Snyder (Author)
Info:LUNA books (Harlequin imprint) (2006); ebook edition, 327pp
Collections:Books I own
Rating:***
Tags:21st century, fiction, ya, fantasy, magic, form:e-book, series, series:study, pov:first-person

Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

Recently added byCurvaceousDee, KirSio, slipd, archivalistic, TLJ, cecily2, private library, IvieHill, Katethompson, staci426

Another good novel by Maria V. Snyder. I have to say that i preferred the plot in "Poison Study" better. It was more sinister, more mature. The beginning was my favorite. Who wouldn't like a family who lives in trees? My imagination just went wild on that one. :)

Leif..Oh my God, Leif. I wanted to punch him in the face so many times.

The story developed rapidly, that is one of the things i really like about Snyder's writing. There aren't dull patches anywhere.

I didn't like Rose, the First Magician, she came across as a mean cheerleader. She got upset over each and every single thing, and was always promising some kind of retribution.Kept seeing this in my mind..

And Valek, ooooh Valek... You just have to love Valek. He is a special type of alpha male. You just know that no matter what the situation is, he is going to whip out some badassery to save the day.
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
*2015 Reading Challenge* A trilogy

Antes que nada, miren que linda representación de Yelena y Valek:

(Lo saqué de acá)

La trama fue mucho más interesante que la del primer libro, los personajes mucho más complejos y sus personalidades bien distintas entre ellas.

La construcción del universo mágico y sus correspondientes políticas fue, también, muchísimo mejor explicada y definida, más fácil de entender que en la primera entrega.

Sus fallas tienen más que ver con mi propia "química" con la historia que con defectos reales en su desarrollo. Por momentos se me hizo tedioso y lento, difícil de conectar con lo que pasaba. No obstante, mi propia insistencia por no abandonar me ayudó a seguir y, finalmente, me terminé enganchando de nuevo.

Muy bueno. Un sólido 4
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |

*Book source ~ Purchased from Audible

Guest Reviewers
A ~ My 17-yr-old daughter
T ~ My 15-yr-old son
K ~ My 14-yr-old son

Yelena has vanquished her enemies and is on her way to Sitia to meet the family she doesn’t remember and learn how to control her magic. But growing up in Ixia and being the Commander’s food taster has made her ways strange and suspicious to the people of Sitia. Still, she perseveres. However, soon she is embroiled in a bad situation and must use her newfound abilities, her new friends and the unexpected arrival of old friends to get ahead of the game. And stay alive. Will her life ever be simple?

While not as rousing as the first book, this story has a decent plot with a new world, new enemies, new friends and an appearance of old friends. Everyone still likes Yelena and Valek is still a favorite. Though T said Yelena and Valek having sex all the time is bad. I had to laugh because they aren’t doing it like bunnies. In fact, it’s closed door, not described at all and it’s only a few times. It’s just the fact that when Valek is around they do what couples in love do especially since they’ve been separated for months, but it’s not to the detriment of the plot. LOL Anyway, the magic is fascinating and the Sitia world is interesting. We all loved having the Power Twins back for a bit and the addition of horses is cool. T & K love that the horses call Valek “Ghost.” An apt name indeed. No one likes Yelena’s brother Leif. I agree that he’s an ass though by the end of the book he’s a bit better. T likes Yelena’s dad Esau because he knows so much cool stuff about the jungle. And everyone wants Cahil to die. That would be nice. We’re looking forward to book 3, Fire Study.

Favorite quotes:

“Pushing magic toward the candle, I willed it to light. Nothing happened.
Irys made a strangled sound and the candle burned. “Are you directing your magic to the candle?”
“Yes. Why?”
“You just ordered me to light the candle for you,” Irys said in exasperation. “And I did it.”
*************************************************​
“I gave him a bored look. I had been threatened many times before and had learned that the men who didn’t make verbal threats were the most dangerous.”
*************************************************​
“Of course, you didn't want our help. Now I have to go beat up some soldier just to keep my ego intact.” ( )
  AVoraciousReader | May 27, 2015 |
That’s part two of the Yelana Zaltana trilogy read. Much like its predecessor: fun, fast paced and a few good twists to keep it interesting. I have but one complaint though. There is an instance where the characters are searching through a citadel and the distance is given in blocks (twice). Now, if you are an American, living in a city that would be fine, except most of the world are not. The real issue with this measurement is that it is so out of place it spoils the moment. That aside this is a very worthy sequel / continuation as it picks up right where the last one left off.
I shall now go and read the last one in the series: Fire Study.
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |
I fear that I’m in deep trouble of turning into a rabid fan girl about this series. I loved this whole freakin’ book. So much, in fact, that I was sad to see it end and actually made myself start reading it slower. Anyway, this is series I don’t recommend reading out of order, because Magic Study picks up almost exactly where the previous book left off.

Yelena has once again gotten the shaft in life. Just when she has made friends and started to feel all cozy in Ixia she’s forced to leave because of the whole “all magicians will be killed on sight” rule. So now she has no choice but to go on down to Sitia, where she’ll start learning about her magic abilities and meet the family she was supposedly stolen from years ago. Only her welcome isn’t too friendly when she finally arrives on her lost family’s doorstep. Her brother has decided that she’s an impostor who was sent to Sitia to spy for Ixia and he’s determined to see her punished for it. So he starts taking every opportunity to rattle off his theory about her to anyone who will listen.

This, of course, doesn’t make Yelena the most popular girl in Sitia. In fact, she’s back to being shunned by everyone around her except for a few people, but even they are leery of her and her strange powers. Then there’s the fact that one of the people who have listened to her brother’s ramblings about her is the lost prince of Ixia who sees Yelena as his golden ticket into reclaiming the throne. And if that isn’t enough, Yelena also finds herself getting more and more involved in Sitia’s problem with a crazy ass guy who’s romping around near the plains, abducting young women and then stealing their souls.

It was great to dive back into the rich world that Snyder is building in these books. Once again she manages to not go into information overload, but still give us enough information where we can see the differences between both Sitia and Ixia. I think I would’ve liked to have seen more about the politics of both countries, but I also believe it would’ve interrupted the flow of the book if Snyder had tried to cram more information in.

Sitia is a really laid back country when compared with Ixia, so it was interesting to watch Yelena trying to adjust to the different customs and laws. The hostility between both countries is still going strong, so Yelena ends up taking a lot of crap from people who see Ixia’s ways coming out in her actions. And the bad vibes and rumors only increase around Yelena with the arrival of Ixian representatives in the place where she’s studying, which apparently is kind of like the capital of Sitia.

This, of course, brings some characters from the last book into the midst of things, which I was really happy for. It was great to see the power twins, Valek, and the Commander involved in this book’s plot. The new characters that were introduced were also great. They all meshed together nicely and none of the characters just felt thrown in for the sake of having fresh meat in the story. I also really appreciate the fact that everyone under the sun doesn’t adore and love Yelena to bits, I really don't like it when series end up doing that. The worse part about this book is that yet again, it ends with giving us a taste of the plot for the next book leaving me wanting the next one now. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
To my children, Luke and Jenna, a constant source of inspiration and love. You both are truly magical.

In loving memory of Anthony Foster.
"We're here," Irys said.
My Story Weaver had to be laughing his blue ass off right now.
-Yelena

Yelena is on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago. Although she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways, and her newfound friends and relatives don't think it's for the better. Despite the turmoil, she's eager to start her magical training. But her plans take a radical turn when she becomes involved with a plot to reclaim Ixia's throne for a lost prince, and gets entangled in powerful rivalries with her fellow magicians. If that wasn't bad enough, it appears her brother would love to see her dead. Luckily, Yelena has some old friends to help her with her new enemies.

So far, I've managed to survive. You would think after being kidnapped as a child, imprisoned in my teens and released to become a poison taster, I would have endured enough. But no. The discovery of my magical abilities—powers forbidden in Ixia—has resulted in an execution order. My only chance is to flee to Sitia, my long-lost birthplace.

But Sitia is unfamiliar. I'm treated like an enemy—even by my own brother. Plus I can't control my powers. I want to learn about my magic, but there isn't time. A rogue magician has emerged and I'm targeted as his next victim.

Will my magical abilities save me…or be my downfall?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:43 -0400)

The second novel in Snyder's Study series. After saving the Commander's life, Yelena is set free to get her magic under control or be destroyed by the other wizards for disrupting the order of things.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,097,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible