The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

The Red Pyramid (2010)

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Kane Chronicles (1)

3,6972031,421 (3.97)168
Recently added byadollopofdaisies, literary.jess, sreeparna, sncase1, kooiekerhondje, private library, Gerrick
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Brother-sister twins from modern San Francisco work with the famous alchemist Nicholas Flamel with and against various creatures from European myth and folklore to preserve ancient secrets.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another great fantasy for young readers centered around a brother and sister!
    Smells Like Dog by Suzanne Selfors (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: No gods in this one, but it's got a similar style of humor and action. Well plotted.

appears to be targeting a young age ( )
  jason9292 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Egyptian mythology with a twist that's different from his other two series. Does Rick Riordan have Chinese mythology series up his sleeve? ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
When it comes to Rick Riordan novels, I have come to expect a high quality novel. I can't say that this book met those standards. This could be for many reasons--I am far more familiar with the Greek gods and myths than the Egyptian ones, so perhaps my intrinsic interest is less. Then there was the two narrators, which I also didn't enjoy much.

There are more in the series that I may read at some point, but I'm not dying to do it soon. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the 2 person point of view and thought that Rick Riordan did it quite well. This is my first book series the incorporates Egyptian mythology and I liked it a lot. I liked the snarky comments between the two main characters (Sadie and Carter) when one was telling part of the story. Carter was my favorite of the two characters because he seemed more focused on the mission at hand while Sadie went a bit boy crazy at times which was really inappropriate for the situation (yes, I realize she is like 13 but seriously be serious when it calls for it). Carter also seemed to me to be a bit nerdy. Which I liked since I myself am a nerd. The book was fast paced and well written and I plan on reading the rest of the series, I already have the next two books ready and waiting for me to start.

Final rating: 4 1/2 stars ( )
  BookLibertyLove | Jun 18, 2014 |
Rick Riordan is an extremely talented author in this book full of humor, family love, suspense and action. What he does best in this book is he brings you face to face with the two main characters, Carter and Sadie. Not only does he bring you close to them so you can fully see and understand them, he makes you feel their feelings that they feel in the story. He drags you into a spell of feeling their thoughts and emotions. This read is great for ages 11-14.
Carter and Sadie shivered with mixed emotions in the beginning of the book as their father tried to summon their dead mother but failed and disappeared. And not only does their most related family member disappears, the failing of the effort to summon their dead mother with a magic spell, the dads backfire of the spell releases an ancient evil Egyptian God. As the story moves along with humor, the two main characters find out many life changing facts about them and their family and learn that the only way to retrieve their father and mother was to defeat the power, hungry evil Egyptian God.
Riordan does a fascinating job of tying mythology with regular day life. Reading this book, people may find in Riordan's writing that there are not many flaws. This book was very well written. Read and find out how Carter and Sadie fight through regular day life problems while learning who they really are while trying to over-throw a powerful god named Set.
  br14noge | Jun 12, 2014 |
“The Red Pyramid” is in almost every way an improvement over its predecessors, deeper and more emotionally resonant, and with an underlying moral and philosophical semi-seriousness. None of which takes away from the thrills.

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Free, Kevin R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my librarian friends, champions of books, true magicians in the House of Life. Without you, this writer would be lost in the Duat.
We only have a few hours, so listen carefully.

Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set--has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.

After their father's research experiment at the British Museum unleashes the Egyptian god Set, Carter and Sadie Kane embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest which brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,617,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible