The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

The Red Pyramid (2010)

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Kane Chronicles (1)

3,9262101,311 ()170
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Brother-sister twins from modern San Francisco work with the famous alchemist Nicholas Flamel with and against various creatures from European myth and folklore to preserve ancient secrets.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another great fantasy for young readers centered around a brother and sister!
    Smells Like Dog by Suzanne Selfors (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: No gods in this one, but it's got a similar style of humor and action. Well plotted.

I liked the book The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. I would rate this book a 4 out of 5. I liked this book because it was fiction and that's all I really like to read. Also I liked that it is mystery, action and magical type of book. This book has very vivid detail. Another reason why I like this book is because it gave me a chance to feel what the characters were doing and how they felt. I reccomend this book to people that like fiction or gods and goddesses with magic. ( )
  Joha14 | Feb 13, 2015 |
Description: Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set--has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.

Thoughts: I knew there was this other Riordan series out there, but so far hadn't been particularly drawn to it. Mostly because I enjoyed but didn't love the first Percy Jackson series (Percy Jackson and the Olympians). Reading the new Percy Jackson series (The Heroes of Olympus), however, got me a bit more interested. I found The Red Pyramid used at the bookstore the other day so I grabbed it.

Turns out, I was probably right to be a bit ambivalent about this one. That isn't to say that it's bad, because it's not, it's just a bit too much of a rehash of The Lightning Thief to be truly exciting. At least for an adult who's read the other series- newcomers and/or kids who are Riordan fans will probably find lots to like here. Just don't pick this one up because you liked Percy Jackson and think it's going to blow you away.

http://www.librarything.com/topic/130721#3215134 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 12, 2015 |
This book is about two siblings named Carter and Sadie. They both have magical powers. They are trying to stop Set (a evil god) from taking over the world. Set captures their dad and their uncle. What will they do?
I didn't like this book because I didn't like the way the author wrote it. The book didn't catch my attention. I don't recommend this book. ( )
  SophieS30 | Jan 12, 2015 |
This book is face-paced mythology and has a lot of relatable characters. 4Q4P The cover art is awesome and I'd recommend this to middle and high school students. I chose to read this book because I really like Rick Riordan as well as mythology. AlexL
  edspicer | Dec 30, 2014 |
The Kane Chronicles are Riordan's newest journey into the ancient world of gods and their children. These are the tales of the Egyptian gods - those who fill mortals with the spirits and fly through sand filled portals at any Egyptian relic site.

Riordan's main characters are two siblings - Sadie and Carter Kane. Two teenagers as different as their parents were - Sadie raised rather prim and proper by her English grandparents and Carter raised by his Africa American Egyptian archeologist father roaming from one dig site to another.

In each of these books the Kanes must work together to attempt to save the world from the ever approaching god of Chaos. Each book connects known well known places with Egyptian gods and their cohorts. Each also reminds the reader of the importance of Egypt in the past and the present. The Kanes slowly become more of a family as they accept the difficulties of trying to train future godlings and keep the world from succumbing to chaos.

As I read these I was reminded again and again of the other Riordan books and have become quite curious about his ease in describing gods in many different lands and ways. It makes life quite interesting. ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
“The Red Pyramid” is in almost every way an improvement over its predecessors, deeper and more emotionally resonant, and with an underlying moral and philosophical semi-seriousness. None of which takes away from the thrills.

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Free, Kevin R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my librarian friends, champions of books, true magicians in the House of Life. Without you, this writer would be lost in the Duat.
We only have a few hours, so listen carefully.

After their father's research experiment at the British Museum unleashes the Egyptian god Set, Carter and Sadie Kane embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest which brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,675,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible