The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

The Red Pyramid (2010)

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Kane Chronicles (1)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Brother-sister twins from modern San Francisco work with the famous alchemist Nicholas Flamel with and against various creatures from European myth and folklore to preserve ancient secrets.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another great fantasy for young readers centered around a brother and sister!
    Smells Like Dog by Suzanne Selfors (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: No gods in this one, but it's got a similar style of humor and action. Well plotted.

A 3.5, really... Or even a 3.8. I liked it and I'd like to read the rest of the series; it was great to read about the Egyptian gods, and Rick Riordan is obviously quite a mythology buff. But for some reason I didn't like it quite as much as the Percy Jackson books, the original series or the new one. Maybe that will change when I get the second one. In any case, definitely a fun middle grader.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
A good start to the series! ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
An interesting take on Egyptian Mythology, but unfortunately, not as good as the Percy Jackson series. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
The Red Pyramid is a book about siblings, Carter and Sadie Kane. After the death of their mother, Sadie was sent to live with her grandparents while Carter lived with their father, a famous Egyptologist. During their annual visit with Sadie, Carter's dad takes them to see the Rosetta Stone in the British Museum. It seems that their father has big plans that he did not tell them about. Unfortunately, those plans do not go as expected and Carter and Sadie are thrown into an adventure where the fate of the world depends upon their success. This is a fun young adult adventure where Egyptian mythology comes alive, much like Riordan's other popular series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, did with Greek mythology. As much as I loved the Percy Jackson series, I loved this one even more. I did not know a lot about Egyptian mythology and found it really gave a new dimension to the story. I also liked the evolution of the sibling relationship and look forward to seeing how they work together in the future. And anyone that loves cats will become a fan of Bast, the goddess of cats. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |
This was the first book that I've read by Rick Riordan and I really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to the sequel. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
“The Red Pyramid” is in almost every way an improvement over its predecessors, deeper and more emotionally resonant, and with an underlying moral and philosophical semi-seriousness. None of which takes away from the thrills.

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Free, Kevin R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my librarian friends, champions of books, true magicians in the House of Life. Without you, this writer would be lost in the Duat.
We only have a few hours, so listen carefully.

Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set--has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.

After their father's research experiment at the British Museum unleashes the Egyptian god Set, Carter and Sadie Kane embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest which brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,171,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible