The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

The Red Pyramid (2010)

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Kane Chronicles (1)

3,8642091,335 (3.96)169
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Brother-sister twins from modern San Francisco work with the famous alchemist Nicholas Flamel with and against various creatures from European myth and folklore to preserve ancient secrets.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another great fantasy for young readers centered around a brother and sister!
    Smells Like Dog by Suzanne Selfors (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: No gods in this one, but it's got a similar style of humor and action. Well plotted.

The Kane Chronicles are Riordan's newest journey into the ancient world of gods and their children. These are the tales of the Egyptian gods - those who fill mortals with the spirits and fly through sand filled portals at any Egyptian relic site.

Riordan's main characters are two siblings - Sadie and Carter Kane. Two teenagers as different as their parents were - Sadie raised rather prim and proper by her English grandparents and Carter raised by his Africa American Egyptian archeologist father roaming from one dig site to another.

In each of these books the Kanes must work together to attempt to save the world from the ever approaching god of Chaos. Each book connects known well known places with Egyptian gods and their cohorts. Each also reminds the reader of the importance of Egypt in the past and the present. The Kanes slowly become more of a family as they accept the difficulties of trying to train future godlings and keep the world from succumbing to chaos.

As I read these I was reminded again and again of the other Riordan books and have become quite curious about his ease in describing gods in many different lands and ways. It makes life quite interesting. ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
The Red Pyramid was an excellent book, but the story was not for me. I personally liked the Lightning Thief series better than i did this book, Although from the parts that I read it wasn't that bad. I didn't really like the story line in the book so i didn't finish. This book is farley easy to read and great for anyone who likes mythology. ( )
  Josu14 | Oct 24, 2014 |
Red Pyramid is about 2 children Carter and Sadie who go on an adventure in search for their dad,who disappeared at a museum.On their adventure they meet many different thing. They meet their uncle,they never knew about, an albino crocodile, and a baboon who loves basketball. There are egyptian gods who can become different people. There is an evil god who tries to stop them from finding their dad, which he captured.Their dad was a god and the evil god, Set wanted to turn the world into a land world by him. The kids capture Set and find out what actually happened to their mom.

I think Red Pyramid was a 3 star. To me it got kind of confusing because randomly the chapters would start with new people,first it would be Carter talking then next thing you know it's Sadie telling the story. The author did a good job describing everything though, you could picture a lot of the things happening in the book.One thing that I kind of didn't like about this book was that had so many different things going on. Carter would say one thing, then a couple chapters later Sadie would be telling you. There was a lot of talking back in forth between chapters as well. So over all I think it deserved a 3. ( )
  Kaiah.g1 | Oct 22, 2014 |
I love Carter so much. He's kind of like Percy Jackson, but he isn't. He doesn't seem to have a lot of confidence in himself. He also doesn't really get along with his sister Sadie. They fight quite a bit in this book (well, in every book actually). But I still really really love Carter, I totally ship Carter and Zia!

Sadie is also really awesome. She's very independent, and always speaks her mind (they often mention that she talks a lot over the series). Sadie is kind of different from a lot of fictional girls that I've read about so far.

I like Amos even though we don't see a whole lot of him in this book. And I love Brooklyn House, and Khufu the baboon, and Philip of Macedonia the crocodile.

I also really love that Rick Riordan made Anubis, the Egyptian god of death, look like a hot teenage boy.

I also love Bast. I thought she was a fun character. I really like the part when she got scared, but her face didn't show it, but since she's the cat goddess her hair stood up on end with static but she don't know it.

I love this book so much! I'm sorry this review it's short and it's, like, all about the characters but when I read a book the first thing that I notice the most is the characters, and I just want to fangirl and gush about them. ( )
  barbiekait | Oct 16, 2014 |
The author has definitely improved since writing the Percy Jackson series. This one is somehow more believable (even though it's about impossible things). ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
“The Red Pyramid” is in almost every way an improvement over its predecessors, deeper and more emotionally resonant, and with an underlying moral and philosophical semi-seriousness. None of which takes away from the thrills.

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Free, Kevin R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my librarian friends, champions of books, true magicians in the House of Life. Without you, this writer would be lost in the Duat.
We only have a few hours, so listen carefully.

Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set--has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.

After their father's research experiment at the British Museum unleashes the Egyptian god Set, Carter and Sadie Kane embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest which brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,399,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible