The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

The Red Pyramid (2010)

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Kane Chronicles (1)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Brother-sister twins from modern San Francisco work with the famous alchemist Nicholas Flamel with and against various creatures from European myth and folklore to preserve ancient secrets.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another great fantasy for young readers centered around a brother and sister!
    Smells Like Dog by Suzanne Selfors (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: No gods in this one, but it's got a similar style of humor and action. Well plotted.

We couldn't wait for this book to come out, and we began reading it eagerly. Shortly after we started (1/3 in), my son wanted to move faster than the 1-2 chapter a night pace and finished it on his own. Then it took me FOREVER to finish it. The middle third of the book BORED me--I dreaded reading it, but I don't understand why. I can't really identify what I didn't like about it, and wonder if it's just that I've read too much Riordan lately. I don't know. I did enjoy the last third, and I'm happy to say it's over and I don't mind if Riordan takes a really long time to write the next in the series. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Knowing this book was written by Rick Riordan automatically made my level of expectation to sky rocket. Once again, he didn't let me down!

The change from reading Greek Mythology to Egyptian Mythology fiction was definitely rough, but I learned to love these new characters and the story line as much as I love myself. 'The Red Pyramid' is completely engrossing, heart warming, and adventurous. This book deserves more than five stars. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Really enjoyed this. Haven't decided if I'm going to review or not. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
5 stars!

I loved it!

I was dragged into a new wonderful world. I've personally been to Egypt and just reading about all the mythology and just the way that Rick Riordan puts together is just absolutely amazing.

I very much enjoyed how the point of view switches between Cater and Sadie (I won't lie, I enjoyed Sadie's POV little more. I liked the fact that they are brother and sister, It isn't very often you get the two protagonist to be siblings. (I have two brothers myself and to be honest I don't really like them, but I do love them. We're a pretty tight family. My older brother looked out for me as I looked at for our younger brother).

Being separated since they were kids , Cater and Sadie, only got to see each other twice a year. In truth they're strangers, so to see the raw way that these two siblings had to connect at very emotional low was a little angering. They watched their father get taken away from them in a very disturbing way, having to connect over that fact, and excepting that, was shattering. Not only did they have to go on the run, they had to deal with all the resentment and jealously that had built up over the years. There was a lot of it, two sides of the same coin, one thinking the other is more loved and has the better life.

Seeing the way their relationship develop over the course of the story, felt natural; it wasn’t rushed, they didn’t automatically become friends. They worked through it, well most it, and by the end, they are close to best friends.

The mythology, like his Percy series, is informing, and you know there was a lot of time spent researching to shape the myths the way he wanted it. There are many different stories for every god, so you have to pick, choose, and twist, to get where it were you need it.

Like Mr. Riordan's Percy Jackson books, this series has you fall head first into cleverly structured magical world of gods, magic, and certain death at every turn, which makes you believe that anything is possible. (I cry when my cat scratches me, no way would I survive in Carter's and Sadie's world)

Throughout this book I did get a distinct sinking feeling ( that one you get when you know not everything was going to be alright). I was right. As the ending came to be, I had to reread it, because I don't think I could have make that sacrifice.

Even though the ending wasn't your typical oh my God we save the world. You're still left with this warm feeling that even though, it didn't turn out like they wanted, they didn't get everything they wanted back, they still had a connection to which it was they lost. That made my feels happy.

I can't wait to start the next book.

I highly recommend this series. It's equal to his Percy Jackson series, though it doesn't get as much of the same spotlight, you will not be disappointed.

Until next time don't stop being amazing

E.A.Walsh | Jun 11, 2015 |
Carter and Sadie have never been really close despite being twins. After their mother died, her grandparents took custody of Sadie and she’d been living with them in London while Carter’s father Egyptologist Dr. Julius Kane took him on his travels.
One night on their mini family reunion Dr Kane takes them to the British Museum for some research. It is there where he unleashes Egyptian god Set who does some wacky stuff like kill of their dad and for some reason their uncle appears out of nowhere.
In similar fashion to Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Carter and Sadie discover that the gods of Egypt are real and legit and out to take over the world and it’s up to them to stop these guys.
Thoughts and whatnot
Having some knowledge of Egyptian mythology kind of ruined it for me. It always threw me off how Isis and Osiris were either lovers in one incarnation or siblings in another then mother and son? Or perhaps I’m mistaken but just knowing a little threw me off in multiple stories that made this kind of a long read.
It was really long and some points were less interesting than others but it wasn’t a bad novel at all. Maybe kids might have a hard time finishing but it’s very informative even if it does loop around the same things a few times. ( )
  Jessika.C | May 12, 2015 |
“The Red Pyramid” is in almost every way an improvement over its predecessors, deeper and more emotionally resonant, and with an underlying moral and philosophical semi-seriousness. None of which takes away from the thrills.

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Free, Kevin R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my librarian friends, champions of books, true magicians in the House of Life. Without you, this writer would be lost in the Duat.
We only have a few hours, so listen carefully.

Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set--has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.

After their father's research experiment at the British Museum unleashes the Egyptian god Set, Carter and Sadie Kane embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest which brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,809,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible