The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

The Red Pyramid (2010)

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Kane Chronicles (1)

5,020243900 (3.95)181
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Brother-sister twins from modern San Francisco work with the famous alchemist Nicholas Flamel with and against various creatures from European myth and folklore to preserve ancient secrets.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another great fantasy for young readers centered around a brother and sister!
    Smells Like Dog by Suzanne Selfors (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: No gods in this one, but it's got a similar style of humor and action. Well plotted.

English (241)  All (1)  All (242)
Percy Jackson made me a Rick Riordan fan, the Kane family solidified that feeling. This is a thoroughly enjoyable story for any adult, young or young at heart! Egyptian society, as known from ancient times, mixing with the modern world creates a spellbinding tale.

And, I found common ground with the author regarding the most mind numbing drive on the planet... A dreary cross country highway known as Interstate 10.

You won't be sorry you picked up a copy, and will look forward to learning the adventures ahead in the rest of the "Kane Chronicles". ( )
  bearlyr | May 16, 2017 |

Overall, I liked the storyline, but there were a few misses for me to give anything over 3 stars.

High-level ~

What I liked:

Greatly enjoyed the Egyptian theme, as I have always found Ancient Egypt quite fascinating.
I liked the characters of Carter, Amos, Bast and Zia, and found myself looking for Carter's viewpoint over Sadie's, as I found him a more interesting character.

What I didn't care for:

The parentheses. They were a distraction and a bit juvenile. To be fair, though, the target age for this novel is 10-14.
The story crawled at the beginning, and didn't pick up until at least half-way through the book.
I thought the parents of Carter and Sadie seemed weak, as supporting characters go. It's one thing to write how sacrificing they are, another to have that sacrifice come across as believeable in the story.
Sadie. Didn't dislike her so much as I'm not yet sure what to make of her.

I thought the journey with The Red Pyramid was a good one, not a great one; good enough to give The Throne of Fire a go. I am hoping for more character development in the second book. ( )
  Cathy_Lynn | Apr 6, 2017 |
The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles #1) by Rick Riordan is a graphic novel for kids. The illustrations are great, the fonts are easy to read. The story is wonderful and easy to follow. The characters are unique and fun, at least the good ones! All characters were well developed and memorable. I thought this would be a small comic book sized novel but it was a large, full length novel. A novel and a movie in one! Lots of surprises and action. A great book for kids and us oldies that pretend to be kids! I got this book from the library. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Mar 21, 2017 |
not my cup of tea ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Carter and Sadie are siblings that become estranged after their mother's death. Dr. Kane brings them back together and they are thrust into a dangerous journey against the gods of ancient Egypt.
  Jennifer LeGault | Nov 2, 2016 |

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Free, Kevin R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, JoannCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rocco, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wuthrich, MaryDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my librarian friends, champions of books, true magicians in the House of Life. Without you, this writer would be lost in the Duat.
We only have a few hours, so listen carefully.

Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set--has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.

After their father's research experiment at the British Museum unleashes the Egyptian god Set, Carter and Sadie Kane embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest which brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,177,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible