The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

The Red Pyramid (2010)

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Kane Chronicles (1)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Brother-sister twins from modern San Francisco work with the famous alchemist Nicholas Flamel with and against various creatures from European myth and folklore to preserve ancient secrets.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another great fantasy for young readers centered around a brother and sister!
    Smells Like Dog by Suzanne Selfors (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: No gods in this one, but it's got a similar style of humor and action. Well plotted.

Carter and Sadie have never been really close despite being twins. After their mother died, her grandparents took custody of Sadie and she’d been living with them in London while Carter’s father Egyptologist Dr. Julius Kane took him on his travels.
One night on their mini family reunion Dr Kane takes them to the British Museum for some research. It is there where he unleashes Egyptian god Set who does some wacky stuff like kill of their dad and for some reason their uncle appears out of nowhere.
In similar fashion to Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Carter and Sadie discover that the gods of Egypt are real and legit and out to take over the world and it’s up to them to stop these guys.
Thoughts and whatnot
Having some knowledge of Egyptian mythology kind of ruined it for me. It always threw me off how Isis and Osiris were either lovers in one incarnation or siblings in another then mother and son? Or perhaps I’m mistaken but just knowing a little threw me off in multiple stories that made this kind of a long read.
It was really long and some points were less interesting than others but it wasn’t a bad novel at all. Maybe kids might have a hard time finishing but it’s very informative even if it does loop around the same things a few times. ( )
  Jessika.C | May 12, 2015 |
This was interesting for a funnish sort of history lesson, but it is a bit long. I can't imagine kids maintaining interest, to tell the truth, because I had a hard time. Really, it was the length that was its downfall. I didn't like it as much as Percy Jackson. But it was cute. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
This is a great high interest text about a brother and sister and their ties to the Egyptian gods. As with Riordan's other mythologically based series, I would use this as a tie in with a unit on world history or world religions. It is also a theme within Riordan's books the connections between family members and what makes a family. They are also filled with magic and interesting creatures and adventure eto engage reluctant readers. They are high interest with lower reading levels. ( )
  TaraKennedy | Apr 23, 2015 |
I liked the book The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. I would rate this book a 4 out of 5. I liked this book because it was fiction and that's all I really like to read. Also I liked that it is mystery, action and magical type of book. This book has very vivid detail. Another reason why I like this book is because it gave me a chance to feel what the characters were doing and how they felt. I reccomend this book to people that like fiction or gods and goddesses with magic. ( )
  Joha14 | Feb 13, 2015 |
Description: Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set--has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.

Thoughts: I knew there was this other Riordan series out there, but so far hadn't been particularly drawn to it. Mostly because I enjoyed but didn't love the first Percy Jackson series (Percy Jackson and the Olympians). Reading the new Percy Jackson series (The Heroes of Olympus), however, got me a bit more interested. I found The Red Pyramid used at the bookstore the other day so I grabbed it.

Turns out, I was probably right to be a bit ambivalent about this one. That isn't to say that it's bad, because it's not, it's just a bit too much of a rehash of The Lightning Thief to be truly exciting. At least for an adult who's read the other series- newcomers and/or kids who are Riordan fans will probably find lots to like here. Just don't pick this one up because you liked Percy Jackson and think it's going to blow you away.

http://www.librarything.com/topic/130721#3215134 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 12, 2015 |
“The Red Pyramid” is in almost every way an improvement over its predecessors, deeper and more emotionally resonant, and with an underlying moral and philosophical semi-seriousness. None of which takes away from the thrills.

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Free, Kevin R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my librarian friends, champions of books, true magicians in the House of Life. Without you, this writer would be lost in the Duat.
We only have a few hours, so listen carefully.

After their father's research experiment at the British Museum unleashes the Egyptian god Set, Carter and Sadie Kane embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest which brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,209,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible