The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book…

The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Rick Riordan

Member:mizzoufan
Title:The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (2010)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Brother-sister twins from modern San Francisco work with the famous alchemist Nicholas Flamel with and against various creatures from European myth and folklore to preserve ancient secrets.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another great fantasy for young readers centered around a brother and sister!
    Search for Senna by K. A. Applegate (trillianiris)
    Smells Like Dog by Suzanne Selfors (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: No gods in this one, but it's got a similar style of humor and action. Well plotted.

This was a bit harder to get into than the Percy Jackson series and I liked that series a bit better. Still, once I actually got into the story and it started flowing it was interesting and different.

It’s the story of Sadie and Carter Kane. A brother and sister who have been raised separately. Sadie with her mother’s parents in England and Carter traveling around with their father. Their mother had died years previously and what starts them on their journey in this book is the apparent loss of their father. Although for a lot of the book we’re not exactly sure what’s going on with the Elder Kane.

They get thrown into this Egyptian world where magic is real, the Egyptian gods and goddesses are real, and they can do stuff like travel across the Atlantic Ocean in the blink of an eye.

I liked most of the characters. Bast was awesome and quite hilarious at times. Unlce Amos was a constantly shifting question in my mind. Was he good, was he bad, what was his agenda? Zia and Anubis were interesting characters too. I’m not sure that I’ve read a lot of brother/sister adventure books and so seeing how the author went about getting them both romantic possibilities was interesting.

I also liked the few subtle references to the Percy Jackson series like how Manhattan has its own, other, gods and how it has its own problems. What can I say, I’m a sucker for different serieses in the same universe.

OVerall I liked the book. The Egyptian mythology stuff was interesting, and by the end I was looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 10, 2018 |
I actually read this book after reading the Percy Jackson series for the first time. I know I shouldn't have, but I couldn't help but compare the stories together. To be honest, the Red Pyramid really isn't anything like any of the Percy Jackson books. While it does involve demigods and mythology, the route this series takes compared to the Percy Jackson and the Heroes of Olympus is completely different. That is possibly why I enjoyed it so much! If it had been exactly like Percy Jackson with just Egyptian mythology, it would be like reading the same book with different names. However, Riordan knew what he was doing when he wrote this book because it is completely its own. I absolutely loved it! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
I thought this book was way too verbose. I enjoyed the Greek mythology series Riordan wrote and was excited for the Egyptian venture, but this book was weighed down with too much talking, too much telling, too much explaining--and way too many pages. I pretty much had to force myself to finish it. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
More like a 3.5, simply because I didn't feel as much of a connection to the characters as I did in Percy Jackson. Carter and Sadie are siblings stuck on different continents due to (or so they think) a bad custody battle between their father and maternal grandparents. After their father mysteriously blows up the Rosetta Stone and is seemingly buried in a magical tomb, the two must learn to work together and harness their new-found powers in order to save their world from total chaos. In this series, we're introduced to the Egyptian gods and goddesses, which is pretty fascinating. He also divides the narrative voice between Sadie and Carter, each getting a chance to tell the story from his/her perspective. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I feel like such the outlier since I really did not enjoy this book. The plot at times is dull and unlike with the Percy Jackson series or Trials of Apollo, it felt like Riordan expected you to know about Egyptian history and myths. Also, Carter and Sadie are SO ANNOYING! I also didn't enough the way Riordan decided to frame the story. There was banter between Carter and Sadie that wasn't needed and we would only get one side of. Also, the end part was really unnecessary.

Will I pick up the next one? Probably, just because it is Rick Riordan and I usually enjoy his books but I know it won't be anytime soon. ( )
  IntrovertedBooks | Mar 26, 2018 |

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Free, Kevin R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, JoannCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rocco, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wuthrich, MaryDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my librarian friends, champions of books, true magicians in the House of Life. Without you, this writer would be lost in the Duat.
We only have a few hours, so listen carefully.

Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set--has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.

After their father's research experiment at the British Museum unleashes the Egyptian god Set, Carter and Sadie Kane embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest which brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,627,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible