Blood Song by Cat Adams

Blood Song

by Cat Adams

Recently added byprivate library, LadyLiz, mojo09226, puzzleqt, neil1701, cjk203, grapeapril75, Cynical_Ames

This was a surprisingly quick read! I managed to finish it in less than 48 hours! I must admit, I'm going back to this one. I started with the 4th book in the series, and so I knew some of the secrets that were to come towards the end of the book, but I was glued to my seat reading this story! Getting to know the characters from the beginning was a true joy.

It was a bit disjointed in parts. I found myself unsure of how many days it took for the story to take place, even though the characters were very aware of the changing from day to night. The characters in here sleep less than normal people, and still seem to function. There were also a few moments when I felt like the author (or authors as the case is here) were cheating a bit. What a nice way to clear up the "sire" issue, for instance. He needed to go away and to have him just taken care of for our main character was awfully convenient.

On the other hand, the fact that men keep showing up to rescue our heroine is explained away so well that I didn't find it as irritating. Probably because she is such a bad ass on her own that when she does need saving, it's somewhat refreshing.

This is a fun read, but don't look to it for anything serious. You won't tax your brain on this one, but it will get your heart racing in places. There is suspense, romance (sort of), heartache, the full emotional gambit. And done in a fairly light-hearted and very distinct voice.

I think I love this series! ( )
  LadyLiz | Nov 25, 2014 |
It took me a good minute to get into this book. I am not entirely sure why. I did realize that I felt a bit bogged by a ton of information that I just didn't feel I needed. I know that the author has to build the world for us and such but I felt like it wasn't effortless, I had to make myself read it to get to the good stuff

I enjoyed all the action and the bad-ass-ness (I am making it a word) that is Celia. She is pretty bad ass, I also felt so horrible for her when it gets to the car scene, even more so than the actual half vampire thing. I also though the whole "vampire sire" thing was going to be way more climactic and part of the story but...alas, maybe we will see more about that in future books.

I love the sexiness of Celia's men. Whew! I want me some Kevin! Is it to early to start making Team Kevin pins, stickers, t-shirts...nipple pasties? I loved the whole walking out of the water on the beach scene, yes. I liked the world that Cat Adams built in this book. This author-duo is clever and fresh when it comes to a market full of paranormal stories. I can't wait to read more about this world and Celia, the ending of this book sets up wonderfully for the next. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
After reading this, I had quite a few unanswered questions. At times the story was all over the place and couldn't decide what path it was going to take. It's left me confused about certain outcomes plus quite a few characters were introduced and I didn't always understand their significance with so little information being given about them.

Mainly I wanted to meet Celia's sire, learn about his relationship to Edgar, and more about these vampires in general but this was scuppered by the King of Rusland's actions.

The emotional relationships Celia had were interesting but the mystery behind her torture and her sister's death was never revealed. In fact her past although alluded to through dreams and little facts about her mother, isn't written in much detail. I would've liked more but I guess we'll see that in the sequel. Her siren status was new but didn't really fit with the rest of the book and just added more questions to the all ready long list.

Side note:
It was also weird reading about characters whose names have a strong connection with me: Amy (my name) was the girlfriend of Kevin -my father's name -eww. I also don't get along with him so every time I read the name I couldn't help but feel a flare of anger. I tried really hard to not let that get in the way of my enjoyment of the book. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Nice entry in the genre. Sassy female lead with a supernatural twist with vampires and other ghoulies thrown in. Interested to see where the siren lead goes since not much has been done with them in other series. ( )
  bgknighton | May 22, 2014 |
Blood Song is an example of a novel where the saying “less is more” rings true. Unfortunately, the author seems to be convinced that more is more. More, in this case, means throwing every sort of paranormal entity that has ever existed and throwing them at the proverbial wall of a 350 page book and hoping that it sticks. Unfortunately, it doesn’t. In this novel, there are vampires aplenty, werewolves, half-vampires, telepaths, mind readers, mages, demons, militant priests who fight against demons, ghosts, and sirens. I’m sure I’m missing a bunch of paranormal entities. And here lies the problem. It becomes a jumbled mess after a while. Each of these things by themselves might be interesting, but all together, they lose their punch.

In the novel, Celia Graves is a paranormal bodyguard, who has been hired to guard a prince of a small European country. Things go wrong, and she winds up getting bit by a vampire. Without a good explanation, she doesn’t fully become a vampire. Even more annoying, the vampire who sired her doesn’t even figure into the novel. Conspiracies abound. There are too many characters in general in this novel, and too many paranormal characters more specifically. Things happen with no explanation. The end result is that I quickly lost interest in the novel and never gained it back. This is a novel you will probably want to skip.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Feb 2, 2014 |

Bodyguard Celia Graves has definitely accepted her share of weird assignments, both human and supernatural. But her newest job takes the cake. Guarding a prince from terrorists and religious fundamentalists is hard enough, but it seems like the entire supernatural world is after this guy too. When she is betrayed by those she is employed to help, and everything goes horribly wrong, Celia wakes to find herself transformed. Neither human nor vampire, Celia has become an abomination-something that should not exist-and now both human and supernatural alike want her dead. With the help of a few loyal friends-a sexy mage, a powerful werewolf, and a psychic cop-Celia does her best to stay alive. On the run from her enemies, Celia must try to discover who is behind her transformation . . . before it's too late.

Blood Singer Series
Book 1: Blood Song
Book 2: Siren Song
Book 3: Demon Song
Book 4: The Isis Collar
Book 5: The Eldritch Conspiracy
Book 6: To Dance with the Devil

Neither human nor vampire, bodyguard Celia Graves has become an Abomination--and everyone wants her dead. With the help of a few loyal friends--a sexy mage, a powerful werewolf, and a psychic cop--Celia does her best to stay alive. On the run from her enemies, Celia must try to discover who is behind her transformation ... before it's too late.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,368,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible