Blood Song by Cat Adams

Blood Song

by Cat Adams

273None41,295 (3.8)7

Blood Song is an example of a novel where the saying “less is more” rings true. Unfortunately, the author seems to be convinced that more is more. More, in this case, means throwing every sort of paranormal entity that has ever existed and throwing them at the proverbial wall of a 350 page book and hoping that it sticks. Unfortunately, it doesn’t. In this novel, there are vampires aplenty, werewolves, half-vampires, telepaths, mind readers, mages, demons, militant priests who fight against demons, ghosts, and sirens. I’m sure I’m missing a bunch of paranormal entities. And here lies the problem. It becomes a jumbled mess after a while. Each of these things by themselves might be interesting, but all together, they lose their punch.

In the novel, Celia Graves is a paranormal bodyguard, who has been hired to guard a prince of a small European country. Things go wrong, and she winds up getting bit by a vampire. Without a good explanation, she doesn’t fully become a vampire. Even more annoying, the vampire who sired her doesn’t even figure into the novel. Conspiracies abound. There are too many characters in general in this novel, and too many paranormal characters more specifically. Things happen with no explanation. The end result is that I quickly lost interest in the novel and never gained it back. This is a novel you will probably want to skip.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Feb 2, 2014 |
I guess it's OK if you like vampires and stuff, but I thought it was really SLOW. Too much setting up for future books and not enough of a memorable first book. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Celia Graves is attacked on a job. Meant to die, she instead gets saved...sort of. She ends up somewhere between human and vampire, what is referred to as an "abomination" That alone is a cool idea. Enough human to think straight and know right from wrong, but the supernatural perks of a vampire. My favorite! She is as tough as they come and can take care of herself. She has many potential love interests and I liked them all, but this book was definitely more about the action and the story and not too caught up in the romance.

I really liked this book. You find out almost at the end she is more than just a vampire/human but has a little something else mixed in. This sets up for the next book that I WILL be reading ( )
  feedtheread | Oct 13, 2013 |
RATING: 2.5 stars.

All the elements for a good urban fantasy story were there, but the book was a mess. Too many plotlines, too much happening, nothing ever resolved completely. The characters weren't exactly brilliant, I could see the love triangle (probably happening in later books) a mile away and Celia was sometimes too much like Anita Blake (and we all know where that particular character ended up... stuck in the 80's with a male harem... but I digress).

Overall, an okay book, the story was a bit confusing and not very coherent. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
RATING: 2 stars-ish.

Had the feeling the book was confusing, that there were scenes missing and too many storylines. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |

Bodyguard Celia Graves has definitely accepted her share of weird assignments, both human and supernatural. But her newest job takes the cake. Guarding a prince from terrorists and religious fundamentalists is hard enough, but it seems like the entire supernatural world is after this guy too. When she is betrayed by those she is employed to help, and everything goes horribly wrong, Celia wakes to find herself transformed. Neither human nor vampire, Celia has become an abomination-something that should not exist-and now both human and supernatural alike want her dead. With the help of a few loyal friends-a sexy mage, a powerful werewolf, and a psychic cop-Celia does her best to stay alive. On the run from her enemies, Celia must try to discover who is behind her transformation . . . before it's too late.

Neither human nor vampire, bodyguard Celia Graves has become an Abomination--and everyone wants her dead. With the help of a few loyal friends--a sexy mage, a powerful werewolf, and a psychic cop--Celia does her best to stay alive. On the run from her enemies, Celia must try to discover who is behind her transformation ... before it's too late.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible