The Prize by Julie Garwood

The Prize

by Julie Garwood

Recently added byprivate library, CurlUpAndRead, Barbsn, rena75, CindyBooks, emalinem

I had a hard time finishing this book. I didn’t like the characters at all. I should just stick to the Highland Lairds series. ( )
  pistachioph | Aug 25, 2018 |
I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this book. It made me laugh. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
I like Julie Garwood's writing style. It's easy to ready & fast paced. I liked this book but didn't really love it. I thought when we first met Nichola she was really going to be something else, clever, feisty, beautiful. She ends up being a totally different character. She will do anything to make Royce happy. It got really tiresome. I still enjoyed the story. It might have been better to see a little bit more tension with her older brother Thurston. He totally gets lost in the book. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
4 ½ stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I’ve been doing a reread of some of my favorite books written by the author over twenty years ago. Okay, most of this author’s early writings have been reread by me practically every year since their original release. This one has to be included as one of the best.

Normandy is invading Saxony and Lady Nicholaa is left alone with the servants and a small contingent of soldiers to protect her family and home. Her brother, Thurston, is leading a rebellion and her younger brother, Justin, lost his hand during the fighting and has given up on life. She’s also been saddled with taking care of Thurston’s baby. Three contingencies of young soldiers attempt to claim her home and take her before the new king who considers her a prize to be given away to one of his loyal barons. Each is driven away in humiliation. The fourth, Baron Royce, is a trainer of soldiers, and is able to succeed where the others have failed. He’s amazed at Nicholaa’s cunning and she’s not only attracted, but finds he’s a very patient and considerate man.

The tables are turned when presented to the new king and his wife, Nicholaa saves the life of the queen’s niece and instead of being offered as a prize, she gets to pick her husband from the single warriors in the room.

Humor abounds throughout the story, although not so much on the fun chaotic level that can be found in some of the other books. The romance is poignant and you’d better have tissues handy. While struggling over the idea that she’s attracted to her home’s invader, she comes to appreciate how her life is changed. And while Royce is patient, he is rigid in his expectations and schedule. Nicholaa is pure spontaneity in comparison, as well as a strong strategist, generating much of the humor.

A great story, interesting characters and situations, told with the author’s trademark flare, this book is worth a reread. ( )
  dearheart | Mar 31, 2014 |

Julie Garwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Flosnik, AnneReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, Carol JordanReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sysalová, JarmilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walther, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son, Gerry Garwood. I saved this one just for you.
"He never knew what hit him."
"...He even played chess with her. He was going to let her win, until he realized she already was winning; then he changed his mind. The game lasted into the early hours of the morning, and in the end, he didn't let her win at all.
She did that all by herself."
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

In the resplendence of William the Conqueror's London court, the lovely Saxon captive Lady Nicholaa was forced to choose a husband from the assembled Norman nobles. She chose Royce, a baron warrior whose fierce demeanor could not conceal his chivalrous and tender heart. A resourceful, rebellious and utterly naive, Nicholaa vowed to bend Royce to her will despite the whirlwind of feelings he aroused in her. Ferocious in battle, seasoned in passion, Royce was surprised by the depth of his emotion whenever he caressed his charming bride.

In a climate of utmost treachery, where Saxons still intrigued against their Norman invaders, Royce and Nicholaa revelled in their precious new love... a fervent bond soon to be disrupted by the call of blood, kin and country!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671702513, Mass Market Paperback)

In the resplendence of William the Conqueror's London court, the lovely Saxon captive, Nicholaa was forced to choose a husband from the assembled Norman nobles. She chose Royce, a baron warrior whose fierce demeanor could not conceal his chivalrous and tender heart. Resourceful, rebellious and utterly naive, Nicholaa vowed to bend Royce to her will, despite the whirlwind of feelings he aroused in her. Ferocious in battle, seasoned in passion, Royce was surprised by the depth of his emotion whenever he caressed his charming bride.

In a climate of utmost treachery, where Saxons still intrigued against their Norman invaders, Royce and Nicholaa revelled in their precious new love...a fervent bond soon to be disrupted by the call of blood, kin and country!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:52 -0400)

Forced to choose a husband from among a group of Norman nobles, Nicholaa -- a Saxon held captive in William the Conqueror's court -- chooses the fierce warrior Royce, a man with a tender heart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,533,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible