Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (3)

22,508126556 (3.97)1 / 737
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,227)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,268)
I, like three-quarters of the reviews on here, am speechless about this book. I LOVE that Ms. Collins didn't hold back on this one. War is a dark dark place and soldier don't come out of it shiny and clean. I'm so glad Ms. Collins delved into the darker side, even if it meant some gritty themes and such as I read.

I enjoyed this book, read it straight through in one shot, and I am happy I finally read the final two book in this series...it only took me awhile. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
This is the third in the Hunger Games trilogy. I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the first two. It feels very different, with the Katniss-inspired rebellion against the Capitol and President Snow gathering pace and coming to its rather strange and unsatisfactory (to me) conclusion. The characters of Katniss and even more Peeta were much more morally ambiguous than in the earlier novels; it wasn't clear for much of the book on which side Peeta was, and Katniss's actions towards the end made me feel considerable antipathy towards her. A disappointing conclusion to this trilogy. I wonder what they will make of the two films into which this only slightly longer third part has been divided. ( )
  john257hopper | Nov 18, 2014 |
This book takes place in the secret military bunker called Discrit 13. Katniss has been choosen as the symbol of the revolution. However the Capitol has been winning the war so far.
So Katniss volunteers as a soldier and goes deep into enemy lines.
She and her squad are successfull in capturing many discrits. But Presidenet Snow has taken her love intrest, Peeta hostage and is torturing her. Eventually they get Peeta back, however, he has been turned against her by the capitol by reprograming him with untrue memories. Soon after her squad gets separated from the others, leading to the deaths of many important characters, including her sister Prim. Eventually, though, she loses it it falls into a state of depression, leaving to a very anticlimatic epilouge. ( )
  johnn.b4 | Nov 17, 2014 |
Warning: spoiler alert!

I loved both The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. I was totally roped in the story and I could not wait to read the next and final book. I had so many expectations and high hopes for this book that were not met. I know that most people loved this book, but for me, it just didn't do it. I was very disappointed. Honestly, the only thing that kept me reading was my investment with the characters and the story. If it wasn't for that, I probably would have stopped reading before the end and looked at the last page. I just felt so let down by the whole book. I can't even begin with all the things I hated about it.

First of all, throughout Mockingjay, I more than once felt confused about what I was reading. It almost felt like the author was rushing certain parts and I found myself having to read sections over again to make sense of them. I felt like EVERY other chapter Katniss was unconscious or depressed or pumped full of drugs. That got old pretty quickly.

Now, with Prim and Finnick's deaths. I think Prim's death was very unnecessary, because the whole reason Katniss went to the games and then caused all this to happen was to save Prim (plus it was done in a horrible way). And then I felt like Finnick's death was no big deal to the other characters, and felt very rushed and unimportant to the author, even though he was an important (and likable) character.

Overall, I just felt like the characters were not acting like themselves from the two previous books. Katniss' character was developed as a strong, tough heroine in the first two books. However, Collins completely lost touch of this and portrayed Katniss as weak, fragile, and depending on others to save her. Also, I felt Gale's actions toward the end did not match his character created in the previous books. After the war was over, he left Katniss and went to another District by himself. Anyone familiar with his character knows that Gale would not just leave her, especially since she was his best friend since they were young and he was (supposedly, I don't know how much if he left her so quickly) in love with her. So Katniss ended up with Peeta, not because she chose him, but because he was the only one who stayed around, and that annoyed me. After all three books, the back and forth between Gale and Peeta and the waiting until the bitter end to make a decision; they were all just disregarded and thrown away like none of it (basically one of the main points of the previous books) mattered. Even though I was on Gale's side, I would have been fine with Katniss choosing Peeta if it were written in a better way, not just because he was the only one there. Plus, by the end of the book, I was so done with it that I really didn't care too much about who she picked.

In general, I felt like the characters I knew and loved were ruined, as well as the ending to this amazing series (or maybe I just set my expectations way too high). ( )
1 vote michaellakufner | Oct 27, 2014 |
I hated the ending! I know that not everyone gets a happy ending, but Katniss sure needed some happy in her life. ( )
  hensley.221b | Oct 27, 2014 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
Dívám se na svoje boty. Do prasklinek odřené kůže si sedá vrstva jemného popela. Tady stála postel, ve které jsem spávala se svou sestrou Prim. Tamhle byl kuchyňský stůl. Hromada cihel z komína, který se při požáru zhroutil, mi poskytuje bod, podle něhož se orientuji ve zbytku domu. Čeho jiného bych se měla chytit v tomhle šedém moři?
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,026,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible