Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (3)

27,169147237 (3.95)1 / 808
Recently added byhoule, MyleneMcBride, mrsreadsbooks, private library, Nora75, pussreboots, joshbuhler, sarahjvigen, EdwinKort, kallai7
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    The Rebel Within by Lance Erlick (magelet87)
    magelet87: Ultimate Girl Power about a girl who wants to change her place in the world and think for herself and make her own opinions on how things should be. And change them.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,441)  German (11)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  All (1)  All (1,485)
In deel 1[b:De Hongerspelen|10857048|De Hongerspelen (De Hongerspelen, #1)|Suzanne Collins|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1300957619s/10857048.jpg|2792775] en deel 2 [b:Vlammen|12292612|Vlammen (De Hongerspelen, #2)|Suzanne Collins|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1405158673s/12292612.jpg|6171458] overleeft Katness de Hongerspelen.
In dit 3 en laatste deel wordt zij het gezicht van de rebellen die het Capitool willen vernietigen.

Mooi, meeslepend verhaal, dat naar mijn idee een beetje langdradig werd. Moeite van het lezen wel waard.

(Misshien later meer) ( )
  EdwinKort | Mar 23, 2017 |
Mockingjay is the finale for the Hunger Games trilogy. Katniss Everdeen, has become the symbol of revolution for the now uprising districts surrounding the Capitol. After the events of book 2, she was taken to a supposedly annihilated district 13 where they have been underground all along. Peeta has been kidnapped, and he know calls fr a cease fire among districts. Now it's up to Katniss to lead them; to become their mockingjay.

Mockingjay somehow managed to be more interesting than the last two books in the series. Every time the story begins to calm, something happens keep it exciting. Sometimes you need to stop just to take something in that happened. I highly recommend this trilogy, and this finale stands out among the series.
  TristanB.B1 | Mar 23, 2017 |
I understand that the author wanted to portray the emotional costs of war but IMO it would have been more in character to portray Katniss as the strong heroine battling evil. This isn't what we got in this book. I found some parts tedious and skimmed much of it. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Spoiler Alert (? -- Kind of, not really)

By the end of this book, I was glad this was only a trilogy. The quality of the storytelling didn't really decline, but my investment in the characters did. The once strong female protagonist behaves more like a hollow Bella Swan than the Katniss Everdeen I met in the first book. I found myself not caring who she ends up with--Won't either Gale or Peeta just die, so Katniss can stop being so annoying?

I also didn't like Katniss' moniker as the Mockingjay. Even though the series is YA, I think the symbolism could have been a bit more subtle. We still would've gotten it. Trust. I found myself missing the layers of meaning Rowling masterfully lays on top of one another to engage adult readers without detracting from the children's story.

Ugh, and I hated the ending.

I still recommend but with the caveat that the momentum of the first issue does not keep pace. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
3.5 stars. I'll say why when I have a spare moment. It was more how much despair I can handle than anything inherently 'wrong' with the book. Suanne Collins is a terrific writer! ( )
  KimFalconer | Jan 29, 2017 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.
MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

3 2012

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,259,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible