dismiss

Mockingjay

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (3)

34,006161045 (3.92)1 / 836
Having survived the Hunger Games twice before, Katniss Everdeen is lucky to be alive. However, she is far from safe. With the Capitol and President Snow blaming her for the strife plaguing District 12, Katniss must sacrifice herself to protect her loved ones.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When the War Began (The Tomorrow Series #1) by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Rebel Within by Lance Erlick (magelet87)
    magelet87: Ultimate Girl Power about a girl who wants to change her place in the world and think for herself and make her own opinions on how things should be. And change them.
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,554)  German (10)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (7)  Italian (5)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,597)
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!

This book dissapointed me greatly. I was a good book - right up until the last couple of hundred pages. Finnick's death seemed pointless, there was no reason for him to die - other than perhaps to make sure that the vote the Victors have to take about organizing another Hunger Games is taken by an uneven number of Victors. Still, there were other ways to fix this problem (to rule out Annie because of her mental state, for one). Killing off Finnick just seemed weak and senseless, just to shock the reader - but not in a positive way.

Another thing that bothered me greatly was Prim's death. The only reason for her to die seemed so that Katniss would end up with Peeta. Apparently having Katniss make the choice herself was to difficult to write, so instead Collins ruined the relationship between Katniss and Gale by killing Prim with Gale's bombs. There were other - LESS LAZY - ways to have Katniss make the decision.

I understand the need for a not-so-happy ending - in a situation, a somewhat post-apocolyptic world like Panem it's obvious families don't stay intact and people won't live happily ever after. But some choices Collins made just seemed pointless and lazy. Dissapointing. ( )
  Blokchu | Aug 3, 2020 |
A satisfying end to the trilogy, in my opinion. The main character, Katniss, continues to be tough and brave but she is equally flawed and troubled. And still quite young to be coping with the depth of danger and brutality unfolding (as are the other youth in the book). Heck, it's a rough situation for most of the adults as well. I had theories about how it might all come together in the end and that compelled me to keep reading relentlessly, anxious to see how it would all turn out. There are some items I could quibble about but I'm not going to bother. It's a good read and brings the storytline to an interesting conclusion. Enjoy. ( )
  jjpseattle | Aug 2, 2020 |
Loved!
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |
Very well written story for a Juvenile Adult fiction (written for ages 12 and up). A cut above most other work for this age group and genre. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Fans will be happy to hear that Mockingjay is every bit as complex and imaginative as Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book Mockingjay was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,288,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible