Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (3)

21,607121961 (3.98)1 / 723
2010 (167) 2011 (140) 2012 (168) adventure (332) dystopia (1,099) dystopian (395) ebook (216) fantasy (529) fiction (1,287) future (162) Hunger Games (401) Kindle (201) love (117) post-apocalyptic (248) read (269) read in 2010 (120) read in 2011 (112) read in 2012 (129) rebellion (189) revolution (133) romance (157) science fiction (1,201) series (361) survival (405) teen (180) to-read (134) war (346) YA (681) young adult (1,041) young adult fiction (136)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,186)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,227)
If you read the first two, then you have to finish the series. This book is well written, but be warned that it will leave you feeling lost and upset. Disappointed and depressed. I was a little frustrated, b/c I think Collins picked the ending that she wanted and wrote whatever she had to in order to get there, rather than following the story to a more natural conclusion. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Ahh, the third of the series. It had more turns to it than I thought.

Definitely a good read! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Ahh, the third of the series. It had more turns to it than I thought.

Definitely a good read! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I wanted to love this. I really did. The Hunger Games and Catching Fire were so intense, so emotionally involving - but for some reason, Mockingjay lacked those qualities for me.

Maybe it's a case of being in the wrong mood, or the wrong mental state to fully enjoy the book. Maybe I've been too distracted by other things in the days that I read it. Whatever it is, something was really missing here for me.

The pacing felt disjointed to me, for one. There would be long stretches of nothing happening but Katniss wandering around 13, hiding in closets, or lying drugged in a hospital bed. Now, she has been through some traumatic and terrible things, and I completely understand why here existence would be reduced to these things. But then when the action finally happens, it feels rushed. I didn't feel as affected by certain characters' deaths. And Gale vs. Peeta? After the intensity of both of those relationships in the first two books, I found myself thinking (and being ok with it) that she might wind up with neither. Her choice between the two isn't really even a choice - it just sort of happens. For the whole of the book, I felt detached from the action. If I didn't already care so much about the characters going in, I'm not sure I would have cared about them at all.

It had its good points, and overall I did enjoy it. But for whatever reason, it fell far short of the bar that HG and CF set for it. I went into this book expecting to come out emotionally raw and yet perhaps hopeful that even in a world as terrible as Katniss's, good can overcome evil. And I suppose it does, but it lacked the power I expected it to have.

edit: Once I saved my review and looked again at the cover art, something else came to mind. After the first two books, I look at that cover and think of Katniss finally breaking free, triumphantly, of the Capitol's power and of the things that have been holding her down. Breaking free into a clear, blue sky full of promise. And that wasn't the feeling I was left with when I finished this book. Instead of taking charge, of fighting as ferociously and bravely and intelligently as she did before, she is sort of dragged along to her fate. I felt like I was waiting for her to snap out of it and do what she does best, but she never did. ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
The third and last in the Hunger games trilogy and in my opinion the best. I really enjoyed how the book played out and the ending kept was exactly what i was expected so that always helps. ( )
  Silverlily26 | Jul 5, 2014 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
Dívám se na svoje boty. Do prasklinek odřené kůže si sedá vrstva jemného popela. Tady stála postel, ve které jsem spávala se svou sestrou Prim. Tamhle byl kuchyňský stůl. Hromada cihel z komína, který se při požáru zhroutil, mi poskytuje bod, podle něhož se orientuji ve zbytku domu. Čeho jiného bych se měla chytit v tomhle šedém moři?
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,238,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible