Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (3)

30,137155048 (3.94)1 / 824
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Rebel Within by Lance Erlick (magelet87)
    magelet87: Ultimate Girl Power about a girl who wants to change her place in the world and think for herself and make her own opinions on how things should be. And change them.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)

English (1,518)  German (11)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (5)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,563)
Okay I love this book but it is my least favorite book in the series. I found myself re-reading things because there was so many cliff-hangers and things going on I couldn't keep up! That being said it was still an incredibly interesting book and added a lot to the series. It gives a very real depiction of war and what happens to the people around it. I can't wait to watch the movies!
  Hayleykeyser | Sep 17, 2018 |
This is my second favorite book in the trilogy (Hunger Games being my favorite). Like Catching Fire, the first half of the book wasn't as interesting, but then it quickly became riveting. Suzanne Collins is great at writing chapters that end in cliffhangers. Amazingly written and a great read.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
This is not at all the type of story I thought I was getting into when I started reading The Hunger Games, but it is so, so worth it. Powerful. ( )
  wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
So happy that I finally read this series. It was so good. ( )
  donnijo | Aug 31, 2018 |
Having liked and admired The Hunger Games, I was disappointed to find that its successors progressively declined in quality. Like its predecessor, Catching Fire was highly imaginative – at least once the action began, due primarily to its description of a second round of “Hunger Games”. However, in my view, Mockingjay is a bloody mess. It’s basically a war story, with scenes of mass killings and violence – no better than mediocre science fiction. Granted, some readers may be surprised at the end (for those few who didn’t see it coming), but that culminating assassination scene doesn’t make up for the rest of the book.

With hindsight, one can see why the series became popular among audiences of teenage females and their male admirers. After all, it features a 17 year old heroine who is independent, strong, capable, and brave; who has two boys in love with her; who is fiercely loyal and protective of her family; and who is dedicated to resisting the mindless violence of older generations. The villainous President Snow (the only strong, older male figure: take note Dr. Freud) embodies the evils of the society, and becomes a special focus of her desire for violent revenge (in fact she demands the right to execute him). Parents to younger readers will have been glad to find not the slightest hint of sex (Katniss will “kiss” a boy, but no further), while presumably not minding the violence and not noticing the subversive message. That message, ultimately, is that resistance is nearly futile; that political leaders are all untrustworthy; that one political system is just about as bad as another; and (as the Epilogue reflects) that respite is to be found in marriage and children.

Meanwhile, Mockingjay reveals weaknesses that permeate the series. Without the imaginative challenges of the actual hunger games, there’s little else to engage the sophisticated reader. The book lacks much exploration and development of character; the dialogue and prose are conventional and flat; the atmosphere is grim and humorless; and the two male love interests (like many other characters) are nearly interchangeable. The political and economic structure of the 12- district society that makes up the series’ universe is implausible; what little that is revealed is sketchy, and unable to withstand inspection. (What, for example, has happened to the remaining districts after the essential coal-mining of District 12, upon which they all depend, is bombed to smithereens?) Even the ever- present weaponry makes little sense for this futuristic society, since (despite its technological sophistication and the varied supernatural elements) people mainly fight with hand-held guns, parachutes, and bombs – other than Katniss, who uses her trusty bow and arrows. And speaking of implausible elements, there's the fact that Katniss is never held responsible for assassinating the incoming President. In this judicially primitive society, she's judged not guilty of murder, because her doctor claims she did it because was suffering from PTSD -- which of course was untruthful.

My reactions in reading this book included disappointment, boredom, and (in the final chapters) disgust, and a growing wish for the story to be over. I ranked The Hunger Games highly, but can award no more than 1.5 stars to this work. ( )
1 vote danielx | Aug 30, 2018 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Fans will be happy to hear that Mockingjay is every bit as complex and imaginative as Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.
MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book Mockingjay was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible