The Hunger Games #3 by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games #3 (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

30,851156247 (3.94)1 / 825
Member:AFaith
Title:The Hunger Games #3
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:New York : Scholastic Press, 2010.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:GRimport

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Rebel Within by Lance Erlick (magelet87)
    magelet87: Ultimate Girl Power about a girl who wants to change her place in the world and think for herself and make her own opinions on how things should be. And change them.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)

English (1,531)  German (11)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (5)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,576)
Well, I have to hand it to Collins, I expected an ending similar to the one that exists, but never dreamed it would come about in the way it did.

In this trilogy Collins slowly built up a conflict, black and white, good and evil, right and wrong, all moving more and more into gray areas with few clear options with each installment.

Chasing Fire suffered from a slow start and an abrupt ending, but Mockingjay picks up the story seamlessly from there. Katniss is still a little slow about some obvious things, but her character is still much more complex than most central characters in popular series. Katniss Everdeen, whatever else she is or is not, is a strong female character as defined by her actions and decisions, as opposed to certain other heroines who are only labeled as such and the reader is expected to buy it.

The best part of this series is it's insistence that readers question judgments, witness the cruelties of both sides of an armed conflict and wrestle with literary heroes that are far from perfect, make costly mistakes and willfully cause harm, knowing their motivations.

That is rare in YA fiction.

Collins' may have her faults as a writer, but she's delivered fully on the promise of The Hunger Games in my opinion. She wasn't afraid to raise difficult questions and situations and she refused to offer up easy solutions, or answer them all. It's up to the reader. Which, at this level, is what should be the case. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
The best one in the series. I could not put it down. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
HARD
  JRCornell | Jan 30, 2019 |
Tearful.
Masterful.
A brilliant conclusion to a heart warming trilogy.

Also, I'd like to mention I'm glad she kept it limited to 3 books.
*cough* Mortal Instruments *cough* ( )
  Elaine_Omwango | Jan 26, 2019 |
This review is for the whole series. I have no idea why I bothered with these books in the first place. Why did I finish them is the whole other matter that I can't find any logical explanation for. I guess I wanted an easy brainless listen for houseworkgym, there was a lot of fuss about them and I got curious. But that still doesn't explained why I finished them. I am getting a feeling that I may be a masochist...

It started as a bad rip off of Battle Royal but gradually got worse and worse, as it progressed into a tedious drivel of a self-centered annoying brat that for some unfathomable reason got two boys in love with her and can't decide between them. Katniss is a girl of contrasts. She constantly gets pissed of with people for lying to her, even though she does exactly the same thing to everyone she "cares about". She goes out of her way to say that she doesn't care about clothes/appearance, while at least half the book is devoted to description of her outfits. She alternates between states of helpless whining and kicking asses (both deserving and undeserving). All in all, logic does not seem to be her forte, nor that of the author... The narrator of the book may have been of the same mind as me, as her voice became extra whiny every time she went over Katniss's dialogue.

The question remains, why do I do this to myself? ( )
  Firewild | Jan 3, 2019 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Fans will be happy to hear that Mockingjay is every bit as complex and imaginative as Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.
MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book Mockingjay was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,629,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible